Gibson County Illustrated (continued) — Trans71 89

Type:
Record
Location:
Gibson County, TN

Gibson County Illustrated (continued)

These pages from Gibson County Illustrated is courtesy of Jere Cox and Eddy G. Clark who gave their permission for the volunteers of Gibson County TN to transcribe it and place it on the Gibson Co. TN web site..  Special thanks to both of them!

Gibson County Illustrated (cont)

PAGE 71

the Louisville and Nashville and the Mobile and Ohio Railroads in adjoining sections. The product of the factory bears a special reputation for purity and quality. The refrigerator capacity is twenty-five tons; cold storage capacity, seven hundred tons.

The firm has recently organized the Humboldt Bottling Works, manufacturing soda pop and other bottled goods as an addition to their business. These goods are coming into general use in the country, supplanting other manufacturers on account of their excellent quality.

The Beare brothers are descended from old Virginia stock and stand high in the business and social life of Humboldt.

 

Eclipse Marble Works

PHOTO: Eclipse Marble Works: A. H. Stehr, Proprietor

This business was established in 1882 by the present owner, Mr. A. H. Stehr, who is a practical man and who has built up an extensive business, extending over the State of Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas, and parts of other States. Among the very fine pieces of work that he has turned out is that very large granite shaft in the Brownsville Cemetery, to the memory of Captain Phillips; one at Milan for Mr. Webb Adams; a large mausoleum at Lafayette, La.; the Professor McGee Monument at Trenton; and the Ward monument at Greenfield, Tenn.; and the very handsome Nussbaum mausoleum at Cape Girardeau, Mo.

 

E. W. Ing & Sons

An important industry in Humboldt is the flouring and grist mill operated in the name of E. W. Ing & Sons. This mill was established about 1885. It has a capacity of forty barrels per day, and is equipped with modern process machinery. The product of the mill is of fine quality and is mainly consumed by the home market. The firm at

PHOTO:  E. W. Ing

PAGE 72

present is composed of E. W. Ing, Jr., W. C. Ing, and J. M. Ing, all natives of Gibson County. Their father, E. W. Ing, Sr., whose picture is here presented, was the original owner and operator of the plant; he died in 1897. Mr. E. W. Ing, Sr. was one of the pioneer citizens of Gibson County, having lived in and near Humboldt the greater part of his life, and saw it grow from a village of a few inhabitants to a thriving town of twenty-five hundred people. He was twice mayor of Humboldt, and at his death was one of the magistrates of the municipality. He was a member of the Methodist Church, South, and also of the Masonic fraternity, and a highly useful and respected citizen of the community in which his life was spent. After his death his sons continued the business he had established. Mr. E. W. Ing, Jr., is the manager of the business, devoting his entire attention to the same. J. M. Ing is in the service of the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, with headquarters at Paris, Tenn.; and W. C. Ing is a conductor on one of the through freight trains of the same road. They all regard Humboldt as their home.

 

Merchants' State Bank, of Humboldt

This bank was formed by the consolidation of the Farmers and Merchants' Bank and the Tennessee State Bank, in February, 1894. The Farmers and Merchants' Bank was organized in May, 1887, with paid in capital of $12,500; Mr. C. H. Ferrell was president and Mr. A. R. Dodson was cashier. During the existence of this bank Mr. M. T. Cox was vice president, and at his death Mr. J. J. Thweatt was elected his successor.

From the beginning the bank was a success and was prominent among the financial institutions of the State for conservative management. The growing business necessitated additional capital, and the paid-up capital was increased to $33,000. An ample surplus fund was laid aside to meet contingencies.

The Tennessee State Bank was organized in 1890, with Mr. R. E. Gardner as president; Mr. O. C. Sharp, vice president; and Mr. J. R. Jarrell, cashier; having a capital of $50,000. In 1892 Mr. R. E. Gardner resigned the presidency, and Mr. W. H. Bobbitt was elected his successor.

 

PHOTO:  Merchants' State Bank

This bank was the outgrowth of the business prosperity Humboldt was then enjoying. The popularity of its officers gave it a reputation second to none in the State, and it enjoyed the confidence of the business community. This bank, with the Farmers and Merchants' Bank successfully passed the panic of 1893. The stockholders of both banks deciding that better dividends could be realized from uniting the two banks, voted to consolidate in February, 1894.

The Merchants' State Bank now has over $80,000 capital and surplus, and ranks among the foremost institutions of the State. It has more than returned to stockholders its capital in dividends and surplus since organization. It has over sixty stockholders, and its directory consists of some of the most prominent business men and farmers of the county. Its

PAGE 73

directors have always fostered every enterprise that had for its purpose the upbuilding of the town. It bought at par the $15,000 in six per cent bonds issued for the city water works and electric light plant, and has held them as an investment, besides carrying a large floating debt for the city.

The Humboldt Cotton Mills is one of the more recent enterprises which has been built principally by the stockholders of this bank. Mr. J. R. Adams has successfully managed a branch bank for this institution at Selmer, Tenn.

Bank of Humboldt

This institution is one of the comparatively new enterprises of the city of Humboldt, brought about by the growing volume of business and increasing demand for business capital in this progressive little city.

The bank was organized and incorporated in 1899 under the general banking laws of the State, and immediately secured most satisfactory recognition from the business public. Its promoters were all men of tried business standing and responsibility. Since its establishment the bank has continued to grow in public favor and is now receiving a good share of the business of the community. It has a handsome building on the principal street of the town, the latest improved fire and burglar proof safes. The offices are spacious and well-arranged.

The officers of the bank are men of fine business ability and courteous manners. J. H. Thomas occupies the position of president; G. W. Bailey, that of vice president; and C. H. Fox, that of bookkeeper. The directory consists of G. W. Bailey, O. C. Sharp, W. M. Hamilton, J. H. Hamilton, John S. Lewis, J. H. Thomas, L. E. Humphries, E. W. Ing, F. X. Foltz, J. W. Warmath, W. T. Williams, E. L. Fox, and S. G. Scruggs.

The last statement of the condition of the bank, made on December 31, 1900, shows the prosperous condition of this institution. It held in secured loans and discounts $68,366.72; cash, $25,380.32 -- making its total available assets $93,747.04. Its liability to depositors and bills payable aggregated $68,277.96; making its surplus as to depositors $25,470.08. The statement shows a very substantial accumulation of undivided profits arising from its less than two years' business, besides paying a satisfactory dividend to its stockholders.

 

PHOTO:  Bank of Humboldt

Humboldt School for Colored Children

This is one of the largest and most prosperous schools for colored children in the county. The school is managed by the Board of Education of the city, and has an enrollment of two hundred and fifty pupils.

Prof. T. M. Stigall, the principal of the Humboldt Colored School, was educated at Central Tennessee College, Nashville. He first taught in the public schools of Tipton, Tenn., and afterwards in Madison and Gibson

PAGE 74

PHOTO:  Prof. T. M. Stigall

Counties, proving himself to be a most competent and successful educator of his race. He was elected principal of the Humboldt school in 1897.

Mr. Stigall is a man of fine presence and great natural ability, which, with his excellent scholastic training, fits him peculiarly for the position he occupies. Both he and his wife are very highly respected by the people of Humboldt.

PHOTO:  Mrs. E. O. Stigall

Mrs. E. O. Stigall, assistant principal of the Humboldt Colored School, was educated at Hartshorn Memorial College, Richmond, Va., where she graduated in 1888. She began teaching at Blakesburgh, Va., where she taught one session. She then came to Humboldt in 1890, teaching in the public schools of the city four years. She then resigned and went to Virginia, teaching one session at the Christianburg Industrial Institute. She then returned to Humboldt in 1896, teaching there since.

The school conducted by Professor and Mrs. Stigall is gaining quite a reputation and has turned out two very competent teachers in the colored schools of the county.

Mrs. Stigall is a woman of fine attainments and much general knowledge. She is well read and has the interests of the colored race at heart.

Humboldt Business Directory

Agricultural Implements and Hardware -- W. H. Lile, A. Y. Simmons, Hudson & Allison,

J. J. R. Adams, J.C. Byars, W. E. Dunlap.

Bakers and Confectioners -- E. Honshell, Lanier & Dance, A. Koelz

Blacksmiths -- Hudson & Allison

Brick Manufacturers -- W. H. McKnight, J. C. Haley

Banks -- Merchants' State Bank, Bank of Humboldt

Barbers -- George Hethcock, Anthony Ragen (colored)

Dry Goods, Clothing, etc. -- Liles & Snyder, B. F. McFarland, O. C. Sharp, Humboldt Dry Goods Company, J. Naum, T. A. Bond, B. Learned, Rooks & Wilkinson, B. L. Isaacs

Dairies -- Geo. Williams

Drugs -- W. R. Watkins, A. Thweatt, J. F. Parsons, W. H. Mason

Dentists -- J. W. Thompson, R. F. Green

Fruits and Vegetables -- P. T. Church

Furniture and Stoves -- Graham & Johnson, Humboldt Mercantile Co.

Groceries -- W. E. Hale & Son, Lanier & Dance, W. A. Duffy, J. J. R. Adams, C. E. Williams,

W. N. Chunn, Hmboldt Mercantile Company, T. P. Bethshears, N. A. Senter & Son,

H. P. James, F. T. Cates, D. Donovan, H. B. Roe, S. Boykin, John Sheppard

PAGE 75

Hotels -- Commercial (Brooks Long, proprietor), Donovan, Central

Insurance -- John M. Senter, J. W. Mathis, A. R. Dodson, E. L. Fox

Jewelers -- Beare Bros., B. Wilkerson

Liverymen -- F. M. Newhouse & Son, Clark & Warmoth

Lawyers -- W. I. McFarland, W. H. Bobbitt, J. D. Senter, W. M. McCall, John S. Lewis,

John A. Collingsworth

Milliners -- Miss E. E. Moore, O. C. Sharp

Meat Markets -- Hamilton & Haralson, T. D. Saunders, Tucker

Printers and Newspapers -- Humboldt Courier, New Chronicle

Physicians -- J. H. Preston, G. W. James, G. W. Penn, Sydney Thompson, R. O. Williams,

J. H. Chandler

Photographers -- J. H. Bailey, Mrs. A. Kernodle

Produce -- Allgrocers, E. L. Fox

Saloons -- J. M. Wortham, C. Peterson, Shane & Boyle, , Ed. McHugh, Joe Blakemore

Tinners -- C. W. Albright

Undertakers -- Humboldt Mercantile Company, Graham & Johnson

Postmaster -- C. G. Parker

Manufactories -- B. C. Jarrell & Co., box factory; Dodson Plow Company, plow factory;

Humboldt Marble Works; Eclipse Marble Works, Humboldt Spoke Factory;

Humboldt Cotton Mills; Humboldt Hoop amd Heading Factory;

Humboldt Stave Factory; T. Harden & Co., stave factory; E. W. Ing, flouring mill;

Humboldt Ice Factory and Bottling works.

PHOTO:  Playhouse -- Children of B. R. Jarrell

PAGE 76

DRUG ESTABLISHMENT OF A. THWEATT, HUMBOLDT

(With Portrait and Sketch of the Doctor)

Dr. A. Thweatt was born in Memphis, Tenn., on September 7, 1870. After the death of his father from yellow fever during the epidemic of 1878, the family moved to Petersburg, Va., where his mother died in 1879. He came to Humboldt, Tenn. in 1883, where he attended school and was engaged in business with his uncle for about ten years.

 

PHOTO:  Dr. A. Thweatt

He has been engaged in the drug business since 1893. In a competitive examination on pharmacy in New York City in 1899, in which there were 550 contestants, he was awarded a special prize on operative pharmacy. He has been a constant student of the science of his profession (pharmaceutical), and by this means has gained his present high standing in scientific circles. He was appointed by the president of the Tennessee State Druggists' Association, together with Prof. E. A. Rudiman (Professor of Pharmacy in Vanderbilt University) and Dr. A. Brown Rains, of Columbia, to represent Tennessee in the American Pharmaceutical Association (of which he is a member), which convened at Richmond, Va., in May, 1900.

Although he conducts a general drug store, he pays personal attention to the preparation of medicines and the accurate and scientific compounding of physicians' prescriptions.

Dr. Thweatt's reputation as a conscientious, scientific pharmacist extends over the entire State, and it is a noted fact among his fellow-pharmacists that his drug store is one of the most completely-equuipped drug stores in Tennessee. From the following illustrations some idea may be gained of its completeness.

 

Prescription Department of Dr. Thwestt's Drug Store

His Original Design and Arrangement

The real character of any drug store can best be judged by inspection of its prescription department. It is the chief department of any good drug store. All else is in a measure subordinate to it.

No expense has been spared in this department to perfect it. Among its excellent

 

PHOTO:  PARTIAL VIEW OF INTERIOR OF DRUG STORE

PAGE 77

features is a pair of accurate balances which are sensitive to 1-100 of a grain. These balances are fitted with a spirit level and leveling feet, so that they can easily be leveled when necessary. They are also fitted with Russian agate bearings. These bearings are not affected by heat or moisture, and hence they do not rust or expand and become inaccurate. This pair of balances is used exclusively for the accurate weighing of potent drugs and chemicals in quantities not heavier than two grains in preparing physicians' prescriptions. There is also a pair of scales in this department which are sensitive to 1-60 of a grain. These are used for the weighing of all substances which enter into prescriptions in quantities of from three grains to one ounce.

 

PHOTO:  Prescription Department

This department is also equipped with a set of special prescription-case shelf ware. The bottles and jars that contain medicines which are affected by light and air are made in amber color to prevent the access of the acrinic ray of light (which is the detrimental property), and have ground-glass stoppers, which makes them air tight. The more potent medicines which are not affected by light are stored in blue containers of this character, so that they are more easily distinguished from ordinary substances; and the less important medicines are stored in crystal containers of this character, so that their phsyical identity is readily noted. All of these containers bear labels which are made into the glass, and have the surface of the letters ground opaque. By this means no labels are ever washed of broken off.

This prescription department is finished in white enamel, which provides ample light (a very important feature), and is easily washed and kept clean.

The entire department is enclosed by a wire screen, which renders it impossible for medicines to be handled or the dispenser to be interrupted by outsiders.

 

A Corner of Laboratory of Thweatt's Drug Store

In this department important medicinal preparations are prepared personally by Dr. Thweatt, and all drugs and chemicals that are received are examined and tested here before they are placed in stock. If a preparation or drug does not conform to the standard, it is rejected.

PHOTO: A Corner of Laboratory

Various chemical tests are also conducted in this department, such as the chemical analysis of urine, etc.

PAGE 78

GIBSON COUNTY OF TO-DAY (Continued)

Gibson Wells

Gibson County has a health resort known throughout West Tennessee for the efficiency of its waters in the cure of some forms of disease. These wells are situated in the southwestern portion of the county, about twelve miles from Trenton, and the same distance from Humboldt. They are reached from either place by carriages furnished by the liverymen. Ample hotel accomodations are provided for visitors, and during the season a great many people from a distance as well as from the nearby cities visit this watering place either for health or amusement. The season lasts from July till October.

There are two establishments for the entertainment and treatment of visitors -- one operated by the owners of Gibson Wells proper and the other by the owner and proprietor of what is designated as New Gibson Wells. The latter is operated by Mr. J. F. Watt, whose hotel and cottages for permanent visitors occupy ground adjacent to the Old Gibson Wells property.

The water of New Gibson Wells is thought by some to be superior to that of the Old. At any rate, the medicinal virtue of the water furnished by Mr. Watt's wells has been tested in the cure of stomach, bowel, and kidney complaints in numerous cases, and has proved equal to any in the country. Many invalids have gone away from these springs entirely cured of their maladies. Mr. Watt is an obliging landlord, and takes pains to secure the comfort and proper entertainment of his guests.

Speaking of the farming interests in this section of the county, I found the lands in the Fourth, Fifth, and Twentieth Districts generally good and the farmers, as a class, industrious, prosperous, and progressive.

About Gibson Wells, Fruitland, and Brazil are some extensive farms. Bailey & Son have large farming interests. I had the pleasure of being entertained at the homes of some of these people while passing through, and found them hospitable, courteous, and well posted in general information, and universally moral and religious.

I want to mention Mr. Joe H. McClaran, at whose home I visited, as a remarkable farmer, who will answer as a type of all. Mr. McClaran has a small farm -- perhaps 150 acres -- but everything about his farm shows intelligent and scientific supervision. His method aims at the best in every particular. His dwelling and its convenience, his barns and provisions for the care of stock, the treatment and care of his land, the culture of his crops -- all show him to be a model farmer. He operates a cotton gin and a steam thresher, and is a busy, prosperous man, and a good one.

 

Transportation Facilities

The prosperity and importance of Gibson County is due largely to the system of railroads that traverse its territory. There are three important railroads passing through the county, furnishing complete access to outside markets, as well as local intercommunication.

The Mobile and Ohio Railroad is the oldest railroad in the county. This railroad was built in 1856 and 1857, and passes through the county from north to south, establishing direct communication with Northern and Southern markets. This road furnishes most excellent and reliable service, both as to freight and passenger traffic, and the roadbed and rolling stock are maintained in fine condition. Trenton, Humboldt, Dyer, Rutherford, Kenton, Fruitland -- all large shipping and trading points -- are on its line.

The Louisville and Nashville Railroad traverses the county from near the middle of the eastern border to the southwest corner, having about seventeen miles of its line in the county. This great railroad, furnishing an outlet to the great markets of the North and East and to the great cotton market of Memphis, has been, and is to-day, a powerful factor in creating and maintaining the commercial and manufacturing interests of the county and supporting and promoting agricultural development. The cities of Humboldt and Milan are on this road, as also the thriving village and shipping point of Gibson Station.

PAGE 79

The Illinois Central Railroad passes from north to south through the eastern side of the county, giving the people of that section a choice of routes to the Northern and Southern markets. The city of Milan is on this road, as also the prosperous village of Bradford, both important shipping points. Other stations on this road are Idlewild and Cades.

It can be readily seen that a county possessing the natural endowments that Gibson has, and with such facilities for transportation, must needs take a front rank among the counties of the State.

The Masonic Fraternity in Gibson County

This noble order has a strong membership in the county and is increasing in numbers and influence. There are in the State of Tennessee 427 Master Masons' lodges, with 17,343 members, as shown by last Grand Lodge report.

 

PHOTO:  SOME OF THE DRUMMERS OF GIBSON COUNTY

1. H. N. Tharp, Humboldt, with Rankin-Snyder hardware Company, Louisville, Ky.;

2. L. F. McWherter, Trenton, with Bayless Bros. & Co., queensware, Louisville, Ky.;

3. George French, Trenton, with W. C. Early & Co., Memphis, Tenn.;

4. P. T. Yarbrough, Trenton, with American Snuff Company, New York;

5. G. S. Lannom, Humboldt, with Ferguson-McKinney Dry Goods Co., St. Louis;

6. W. B. Mills, Trenton, with W. B. Belknap Co., hardware, Louisville, Ky.;

7. A. N. Gordon, Dyer, with Frank G. Fite, pianos & organs, Nashville, Tenn.;

8. J. H. Holmes, Dyer, with Dyer Fruit Box Manufacturing Co., Dyer, Tenn.;

9. W. F. Stewart, Milan, with the Tilden Co., chemists, New York & St. Louis;

10. Andrew J. Johnson, Trenton, with the McCormick Company, Chicago, Ill.;

11. W. S. Shocklett, Fulton, hardware

PAGE 80

In Gibson County there is a total membership of 343 in the master's degree, divided among the following lodges:

The oldest lodge in the county is Trenton Lodge No. 86, organized in 1838. This lodge has now a membership of 41. T. J. Happel is Worshipful Master and T. Harlan is Secretary. It meets on the second Monday in each month.

Yorkville Lodge No. 115, at Yorkville, has 36 members and holds its meetings on Thursday before the full moon in each month, at 2 P.M. J. C. Carlton is Worshipful Master and J. T. Carlton is Secretary.

Milan Lodge No. 191, at Milan, has a membership of 20, and meets on Saturday before the fourth Sunday in each month. W. H. Alger is Worshipful Master and T. L. Harmon is Secretary.

Humboldt Lodge No. 202, at Humboldt, has 48 members, and meets on the second Friday night in each month. N. A. Senter is Worshipful Master and John M. Senter is Secretary.

Eaton Lodge No. 206, at Eaton, has 21 members, and meets Wednesday on or before full moon. G. E. Carlton is Worshipful Master and J. W. Smith is Secretary.

Bone Lodge No. 252, at Rutherford, has 51 members, and meets on the second Monday in each month. J. W. C. Fain is Worshipful Master and W. P. McCallum is Secretary.

Dyer Lodge No. 357, at Dyer, has 37 members, and meets every first Thursday in the month at 2 P.M. W. B. Halliburton is Worshipful Master and R. R. Kenton is Secretary.

Medina Lodge No. 399, at Medina, has 32 members, and meets every fourth Saturday at 1:30 P.M. J. E. Adkisson is Worshipful Master and B. A. Taylor is Secretary.

Rolla Lodge No. 465, at Bradford, has 54 members, and meets every Saturday before the second Sunday in the month. Milton Brown is Worshipful Master and J. N. Rochelle is Secretary.

 

W. H. Dodd

William Henry, son of J. M. and P. P. Dodd, was born in the Sixth District of Gibson County, Tenn., on March 16, 1851. The Civil War coming on when he was only ten years old and the responsibility of the farm falling on him as the oldest son, he did not enjoy the advantages of an early school education. Like thousands of other sons of our Southern heroes, he had to give all his time to the support of the family, while the father did service upon the battlefield; but along the educational line a sufficient height has been attained, by close individual study, to make life a reasonable success and to accomplish all that an ambitious mind has led him to undertake.

 

 

PHOTO:  W. H. Dodd

On May 17, 1877, he was married to Mrs. Lucy Strong, daughter of Capt. T. W. Williams; and to them have been born four children -- Elmon, Allen, Robert, and Annie. Three of these are now living, Allen having died on October 7, 1899.

When married, Mr. Dodd settled on a farm near Brazil, in the Fifth District of this county, where he resided until 1899, when he moved with his family to Trenton for the purpose of giving his children better educational advantages.

While on the farm, he devoted his time to stock raising especially and farming in general, and in these pursuits was reasonably successful.

PAGE 81

In the year 1892 he engaged in the manufacture of lumber with Mr. W. T. Ingram, under the firm name of Ingram & Dodd. The success of this business was encouraging enough to induce him to purchase Mr. Ingram's interest in the mills, which he did in 1898. He is still operating the same near Brazil.

Having a natural love for mathematics, he, in 1897, became deeply interested in the science of surveying, and at once obtained instruments and books for the study of the same. By individual efforts he acquired a proficiency in this art, and was solicited to accept a deputyship under County Surveyor

L. W. Morgan. He did so, and met with much encouragement in this work. At the January (1901) term of the County Court he was elected for a four-years' term of office as County Surveyor, the duties of which he is now discharging.

Mr. Dodd is a most exemplary and upright citizen, esteemed for his noble qualities of heart and mind by his intimate friends, and popular with the general public for his obliging disposition and strict devotion to his public duties.

 

Taxables of County by Districts

Total number if acres assessed for taxation, 355,816; total value, $3,337,725

Total value of town lots, $1,351,600

Total personal property given in for taxation, $529,090

Total number of polls, 5,566

Total taxables, $5,218,415

Average assessed value of land per acre, $9.38

Total levy, State and county, $1.35

District No. 1 :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 14,280

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $126,378

Lots . . . . . . . . . . . . . 47

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . 18,375

Personals . . . . . . . . . 4,000

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $148,753

District No. 2 :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 14,434

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $130,275

Personals . . . . . . . . . 5,400

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $135,675

District No. 3 (Humboldt) :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 18,657

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $184,900

Lots . . . . . . . . . . . . . 647

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . 367,825

Personals . . . . . . . . . 138,100

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $690,825

District No. 4 (Gibson Wells) :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 7,448

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 59,325

Lots . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . 550

Personals . . . . . . . . . 2,025

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $ 61,900

District No. 5 (Brazil) :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 13,935

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $128,000

Lots . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . 3,350

Personals . . . . . . . . . 3,325

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $134,675

District No. 6 :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 22,010

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $148,700

Lots . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . 2,700

Personals . . . . . . . . . 2,475

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $153,875

District No. 7 (Trenton) :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 22,815

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $251,550

Lots . . . . . . . . . . . . . 485

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . 454,800

Personals . . . . . . . . . 201,515

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $907,865

 

PAGE 82

District No. 8 (Yorkville) :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 23,401

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $253,650

Lots . . . . . . . . . . . . . 33

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . 12,750

Personals . . . . . . . . . 8,725

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $275,125

District No. 9 (Rutherford) :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 11,448

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $127,650

Lots . . . . . . . . . . . . . 140

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . 79,800

Personals . . . . . . . . . 35,625

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $243,075

District No. 10 (Kenton) :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 13,056

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $148,000

Lots . . . . . . . . . . . . . 70

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . 27,025

Personals . . . . . . . . . 4,150

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $179,175

District No. 11 :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 14,675

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $151,950

Personals . . . . . . . . . 4,875

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $156,825

District No. 12 :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 15,720

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $111,600

Personals . . . . . . . . . 2,300

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $113,900

District No. 13 (Milan) :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 26,433

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $265,900

Lots . . . . . . . . . . . . . 420

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . 262,275

Personals . . . . . . . . . 47,900

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $576,075

District No. 14 (Bradford) :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 15,666

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $128,250

Lots . . . . . . . . . . . . . 63

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . 19,150

Personals . . . . . . . . . 36,800

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $184,200

District No. 15 :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 14,489

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 83,200

Personals . . . . . . . . . 5,625

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $ 88,825

District No. 16 :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 13,002

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $115,400

Personals . . . . . . . . . 1,875

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $117,275

District No. 17 :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 10,823

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 62,800

Personals . . . . . . . . . 3,050

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $ 65,850

District No. 18 (Gibson) :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 13,111

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $139,800

Lots . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . 3,150

Personals . . . . . . . . . 2,175

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $145,125

District No. 19 :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 16,259

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $145,125

Personals . . . . . . . . . 1,425

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $146,550

District No. 20 (Fruitland) :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 5,906

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 64,200

Lots . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . 1,850

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $ 66,050

PAGE 83

District No. 21 (Dyer) :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 15,204

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $193,050

Lots . . . . . . . . . . . . . 190

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . 97,925

Personals . . . . . . . . . 10,525

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $301,500

District No. 22 :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 7,997

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 52,000

Lots . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . 75

Personals . . . . . . . . . 250

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $ 52,325

District No. 23 :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 10,026

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 80,850

Personals . . . . . . . . . 800

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $ 81,650

District No. 24 :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 11,969

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $154,200

Personals . . . . . . . . . 6,050

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $160,250

District No. 25 :

Acres . . . . . . . . . . . . 2,989

Value . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 30,975

Personals . . . . . . . . . 100

_________

Total . . . . . . . . . . . $ 31,075

The county is out of debt, except $20,000 of interest-bearing warrants, issued for the completion of the courthouse. About one-half the cost of the courthouse has already been paid in cash.

Warrants for the ordinary expenses of the county are paid in cash by the county trustee on demand.

 

PHOTO:  GRANDFATHER COLLINGSWORTH    A pioneer of Gibson County, father of A. J. Collingsworth

PHOTO:  OLD ANCESTRAL HOME OF A. J. COLLINGSWORTH, NEAR HUMBOLDT

 

PAGE 84

CITY OF TRENTON

____________

EARLY HISTORY

The city of Trenton is the capital town of the county of Gibson, and is situated near the center of the county on what was formerly the Mobile and Ogio Railroad, now a part of the Southern Railway. It is 232 miles from St. Louis, 474 miles from New Orleans, 306 miles from Chicago. It is the oldest town in the county, having been settled before the county was organized. Before it became the county seat it was called "Gibsonport," after Thomas F. Gibson, who had made a settlement and engaged in general merchandising there about 1821.

When the county was organized in 1823, commissioners were appointed by the legislature to select a site for the county seat of the new county. They fixed upon the spot occupied by Thomas F. Gibson. The record reads that "the county seat was located upon twenty acres of land on which the town of Gibsonport is in part situated, part of a 1,700 acre tract, entered by John B. Hogg and John Whitaker." The commissioners obtained from Hogg and Whitaker and others (see history of Gibson County) donations of land for the county seat amounting to fifty-six and a quarter acres, which constituted the original site of Trenton. This land was laid off into lots, alleys, and streets, and sold by commissioners appointed by the County Court.

The commissioners who laid off the town and sold the lots were: John H. Rains, John P. Thomas, John Parker, Robert Tinkle, and John W. Evans. The plan of the town of Trenton delineating the public square and locating the lots and streets upon the first twenty acres donated by Hogg and Whitaker, was entered on record at the March (1829) term of the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions. This is the only plan of the town on file in the records of the county. The lots laid off on the original fifty acres were soon disposed of, and additions were made to the town by parties owning lands adjacent. In 1847, when the town was first incorporated, the lines of incorporation embraced about 144 acres.

The growth of Trenton as a town kept pace with the settlement and development of the county. It was not a phenomenal growth, but a steady and substantial advance.

From the time of the location of the county seat at Trenton up to the period when the Mobile and Ohio and the Louisville and Nashville Railroads were built through the county, Trenton was the principal center of trade and influence in the county. There were but few other towns in the county, and the county being sparsely settled in those early times, most of the trading and marketing of the people was done at the county seat.

The population of Trenton in 1834 was about 400. In 1860 it was 1,200. During the Civil War the town suffered in common with all other towns of the South and did not recover its former importance for several years after the close of the war.

In 1870 the population was about 1,000. The establishment of the Trenton Cotton Mills, the Trenton Cottonseed Oil Mil, the stave and saw mills, and the flouring mill industries added largely to the population and commercial importance of the town, so that in 1890 the population had grown to nearly 2,000.

The United States census, just completed, gives the population of Trenton in 1900 as 2,328. This only includes persons living within the corporate limits. The town, including the outlying suburbs, contains a population of nearly 3,000 souls.

The Trenton of to-day is a prosperous and

PAGE 85

busy little city, whose people are imbued with a spirit of progress that will not allow their city to lag behind in the march of improvement.

The city has a splendid system of water works, the property of the corporation, and is lighted by electricity.

It has four handsome brick churches and a well-conducted graded school, whose curriculum embraces the higher branches of an English education, as well as the introductory branches of a classical education.

The streets of the town are well laid off and fringed with shade trees of box elder, elm, and maple, presenting a pleasing aspect of sylvan beauty. Upon the principal residence streets and in the environs of the town are many beautiful residences, testifying to the taste and prosperity of the people.

The social structure of Trenton is the growth of years. It has the element of maturity imparted by time and the survival of the best in human character. Being for a long time the center of business and influence in the county and always the seat of the county government, it attracted those bent upon a career in the professions, in politics, and in business. It became, therefore, and still is, the principal seat of learning, education, and culture in the county.

 

PHOTO:  Oak Manor, Residence Of W. L. Smith, Trenton

MUNICIPALITY OF TRENTON

The Act incorporating the town of Trenton was passed on December 14, 1847. The town government was styled "the Mayor and Aldermen of the town of Trenton." It consisted of a Mayor and six Aldermen, Town Constable, and Recorder, holding office for twelve months. The powers and duties of these officers were defined in a general provision, providing that they should be such as were conferred by the charter of the town of Jackson and officers of that town. The boundaries of the corporation were as follows: Beginning at the northwest corner of the town as designated by the original plan of the town, which is registered in the Register's office of Gibson County, in Book B, page 89; running thence east 114 poles to a stake; thence south 202 poles to a stake; thence west 114 poles to a stake; thence north 202 poles to beginning; said corporation to have control of six and one-half acres adjoining said town on the north, conveyed to said town for a common, and also the graveyard belonging to the town, with power to enclose or otherwise improve the same. Act of March 9, 1867, amended above so as to include the territory lying west and south of said corporation, bounded as follows: Beginning at the northwest corner of said corporation, running due west to the Mobile and Ohio Railroad; thence south with said road to a point south, opposite an alley along the south boundary, to include the lots of McGee, Richardson, Davis, Pearce, Caldwell, and others, to a point opposite southeast corner of said corporation; and thence north to connect with the southeast corner of said corporation. This Act was amended on March 31, 1881, and all Acts pertaining to the municipality of Trenton were considered. The Act was again amended on March 27,

PAGE 86

1892, and on May 10, 1895, further enlarging the powers of the corporation. In March, 1890, power was conferred upon the municipality to issue waterworks bonds.

At present the municipal government of the city of Trenton consists of the following named officers:

L. H. Tyree is Mayor.

The city is divided into three wards, each having two members in the City Council. The members of the Council in the first ward are J. Freed and R. C. Ward; in the second ward, E. E. Benton and R. H. Moore; and in the third ward, T. J. Happel and M. W. Lain.

The City Treasurer is T. J. Happel; and the Recorder, who has the powers of a magistrate, is Jesse R. Smith.

W. W. Ezell is City Marshall, with the powers of a constable; and R. O. Green is night policeman.

The Mayor and members of the legislative council are elected by the qualified voters of the city for one year. The other officers are appointed by the Mayor and Council.

The waterworks, which are now owned by the city, were constructed by private parties in 1897 and were bought by the city two years later. The parties who built and owned the plant were: Charles Regan, R. H. Wade, John R. Walker, G. R. Howse, and others. The plant cost the city $14,500, for which it issued bonds running twenty years and bearing six per cent interest, payable at the option of the city. A number of the bonds have been paid off, and the entire debt will be extinguished long before the twenty years expire. The waterworks are managed by a board, consisting of T. J. Happel, City Treasurer, who is chairman, and E. E. Benton and J. Freed.

The electric light plant of the city is owned by private parties, W. P. Keenan and C. L. Wade. The plant is deficient in equipment for the needs of a city like Trenton, and is not patronized to the extent it would be if more efficient. The public lights are not sufficient candle power nor or sufficient number, and the lighting of the churches, stores, and private residences is unsatisfactory. The plant is only operated half the night. It would be better if the city owned the plant and put in an equipment that would meet the wants of the city.

The Fire Department of the city is managed by a fire marshal, who is at the head of an organized company, who are paid when called in service. The resources for the extinguishment of fires consists of two hose carts carrying 900 feet of two-inch hose, and a hook and ladder wagon fully equipped.

PHOTO:  FACULTY OF PEABODY HIGH SCHOOL, TRENTON

Peabody High School is the name given to the public school of Trenton. The Board of Education consists of the school directors of the district. These directors are at present: T. E. Harwood, C. W. Patton, and R. B. Wade. There are eleven grades taught in this school, three more grades than provided in the State curriculum. The school is maintained by the general school fund, supplemented by a donation from the city of Trenton of five hundred dollars per annum. The school is free to the children of the district

PAGE 87

in all the grades up to and including the eighth. Tuition in the three high-school grades is charged for. The faculty of the school is composed of able and experienced teachers, selected for their ability as teachers. The following constitute the faculty of the institution:

F. L. Dennison, principal

____ Davis, first assistant

Miss Emma Owen, second assistant

Miss Latta Biggs, third assistant

Mrs. Florence Green, fourth assistant

Miss Mai McRee, fifth assistant

Miss Mettie D. Pearce, sixth assistant

Miss Lessie Keenan, seventh assistant

Mrs. Mattie Fielder, eighth assistant

Miss Mattie Butler, ninth assistant

 

PHOTO:  BEN OPPENHEIMER Leading photographer of Trenton

CHURCHES OF TRENTON

 

The Baptist Church of Trenton

This church was organized on August 23, 1850, with a membership of twenty-five persons. From the time of its organization down to the present time it has not only grown and prospered in itself, but has been, in a sense, the parent of four other church organizations.

Hickory Grove, Beech Grove, Trenton (colored), and Center Churches all owe, in a degree, their organization to the mother church of Trenton.

Trenton Church has had as pastors in its history some of the ablest ministers in the Baptist denomination. Rev. Mathew Hillsman, one of the ablest and most zealous Baptist ministers in Tennessee, was pastor of the church for twenty-one years. W. H. Ryals, another distinguished Baptist minister, was pastor for fifteen years.

Some of the deacons of the church have served for a still longer period. In this capacity J. M. Senter has served forty years and still officiates; L. M. Jones, twenty-seven years; J. C. McDearmon, twenty-two years; R. N. Davis, twenty-two years; and J. A. McDearmon, twenty-one years.

The present beautiful house of worship was built in 1885, and is a splendid monument to the taste, liberality, and zeal of the membership. The present membership of the church is 214. Rev. J. H. Butler assumed the pastorate of the church in 1900.

 

PHOTO:  Rev. J. H. Butler   Pastor Baptist Church, Trenton

The Sunday school of the church was organized in April, 1866, and now numbers 165 on its roll. A remarkable fact in the history of this Sunday school is that during its existence of thirty-six years it has had but three superintendants, one of whom, J. M. Senter, served for thirty-four years of the time; J. A. McDearmon and R. R. Caldwell serving one year each. After serving thirty-four years, Mr. Senter resigned last year, on account of

PAGE 88

failing health, and was succeeded by W. H. Haste, who is the present superintendent.

PHOTO:  BAPTIST CHURCH, TRENTON

The prayer meeting of the church every Wednesday night dates from 1871.

The church maintains a Ladies' Missionary Society, Ladies' Aid Society, and Young Ladies' Aid Society, all of which are flourishing and efficient in their several fields of work.

 

The Methodist Episcopal Church of Trenton

The Methodist Episcopal Church in Trenton is probably the oldest church organization in the city. An effort was made to organize a church here as early as 1826, but it was not altogether successful. However, a society was formed and trustees appointed to secure the means to build a church; but the house was not completed till 1834. A station was established in 1839 and Benj. H. Hubbard was its first pastor. In 1844 Trenton Station was abolished, at the request of the members, and resumed its place in the Trenton Circuit, with J. W. McFarland as circuit rider.

In 1846 the church at Trenton again became a station, and has so remained ever since. Its first pastor after becoming a station in 1846 was B. A. Hays. Since then the church has steadily grown and prospered, both in membership and influence, and now has the largest membership of any church in the city. It has a beautiful and capacious church building, erected at a cost of fourteen thousand dollars, and a total membership of over three hundred.

The pastor of the church for the present year is Rev. S. L. Jewell. The officers are: Stewards -- R. C. Adams, chairman; H. M. Elder, treasurer; A. W. Biggs, secretary; R. W. Harrison, Doak Harrison, J. H. Hefley, B. F. Jones, Quintin Rankin; J. T. Warren, recording steward. Trustees -- J. W. Elder, John Hassell, Dr. Z. Biggs, T. J. Happel, H. M. Elder, E. E. Benton, J. R. Deason, B. F. Jones, and Sp'l Hill.

 

PHOTO:  Rev. S. L. Jewell   Pastor Methodist Episcopal Church of Trenton

PAGE 89

PHOTO:  TRENTON METHODIST CHURCH

The Sunday school has 185 pupils enrolled. This is the oldest Sunday school in the county. It was organized in 1850. John W. Elder was elected its first superintendent and served continuously for forty-nine years and until incapacitated by ill health. The present superintendent is J. T. Warren, who succeeded Mr. Elder in 1899.

 

The Presbyterian Church

The Presbyterian Church in Trenton was organized in 1823, Messrs. Moses Woodfin, J. M. Carthel, and Dr. J. H. Crisp being the first elders. Other elders of the church before the war were Messrs. Ben Elder, A. A. P. Grigsby, J. D. McDowell, John I. McCulloch, Judge Black, and J. T. Carthel.

In 1845 they built their first house of worship, on High street, near the central part of the town. The building is still standing opposite the Hotel Bigelow. Their pastors before the war were Rev. Messrs. Sloan, Moses Hodge, A. T. Graves, and Dr. Bright. Dr. Campbell and Dr. Anderson supplied the pulpit during the war. Dr. J. H. McNeilly, now of Nashville, was called to the pastorate after the war, and was succeeded by Dr. M. M. Marshall, who continued with the church for a number of years. Rev. P. D. Stephenson followed Dr. Marshall and was succeeded by Rev. J. T. Rothcock, who was pastor for fourteen years. Rev Wallace T. Palmer, now of New Orleans, was pastor for two years and was succeeded by the present pastor, Rev. T.