Gibson County Illustrated (continued)

Type:
Record
Location:
Gibson County, TN

Gibson County Illustrated (continued)

These pages from Gibson County Illustrated is courtesy of Jere Cox and Eddy G. Clark who gave their permission for the volunteers of Gibson County TN to transcribe it and place it on the Gibson Co. TN web site.  Special thanks to both of them!

PAGE  21 

PHOTO: Magistrates of Gibson County

great revenue to the farmers. The northwest section of the county is famous for its wheat production, while the southern and southwestern sections are equally celebrated for their corn and cotton. Improved herds of cattle and hogs roam the pastures everywhere, while thoroughbred saddle and harness horses are taking the place of scrub breeds of a bygone age. In a word, Gibson is a first-class agricultural county, and is becoming better every day.

There are but few water courses in the county, yet water for domestic and farm use is obtained easily and cheaply. Pure freestone water for domestic use is secured from wells sunk to a depth of from twenty-five feet to forty feet; the supply is inexhaustible. Water for stock, away from the streams, is obtained from ponds, which are easily constructed. The principal water courses of the county are the Middle Fork and the North Fork of the Forked Deer River and the South Fork and the Rutherford Fork of the Obion River. There are a number of smaller streams, tributary to these, but none of particular note.

The county was once very heavily timbered, but in recent years the great demand for timber and timber products, together with the subjection of the lands to agricultural uses, has very greatly reduced the quantity and quality of the timber resources of the county; still, there is an abundance left for all purposes.

COUNTY GOVERNMENT

The county is divided into twenty-five civil divisions, or districts, in each of which two magistrates are elected biennially. Each incorporated city or town also elects one or more magistrates. Trenton and Milan elect two each, and Humboldt, Dyer, and Rutherford elect one each; making the entire magistracy of the county consist of fifty-seven members. The magistrates of the county constitute the

PAGE 22

County Court, or legislative assembly of the county, having statutory jurisdiction over county affairs. The chairman of this court, elected by the members, is the judge of the County Court. This court holds four regular terms each year -- on the first Monday of January, April, July, and October.

The members of the County Court, with post office address, are given below:

District No. 1: J. H. Barnwell, Medina; R. A. Caldwell, Medina. District No. 2: H. H. Bass, Gibson; H. H. Love, Humboldt. District No. 3: W. N. L. Dunlap, Humboldt; John C. Adams, Humboldt; W. N. Bennett, Fruitland. Dictrict No. 4: W. L. Kilzer, Gibson Wells; W. F. Jones, Gibson Wells. District No. 5: J. R. Thompson, Brazil; B. W. Sappington, Brazil; District No. 6: J. W. Smith, Eaton; J. H. Hall, Eaton. District No. 7: R. Z. Taylor, Trenton; W. S. Crafton, Trenton; J. I. Crenshaw, Trenton; W. E. Seat, Trenton. District No. 8: H. L. Wyatt, Yorkville; J. T. Carlton, Neboville. District No. 9: W. J. R. Becton, Rutherford; E. J. Smithson, Rutherford; W. P. Young, Rutherford. District No. 10: J. W. Howell, Kenton; W. A. Montgomery, Kenton. District No. 11: J. W. Phelan, Laneview; J. M. Richmond, Dyer. District No. 12: W. A. McLean (dead, and vacancy not filled); T. W. Branson, Trenton. District No. 13: R. E. Edwards, Milan; A. Jordan, Milan; E. N. Stone, Milan; J. J. Collins, Milan. District No. 14: M. Brown, Bradford; J. S. Alexander, Bradford. District No. 15: J. A. Gilliland, Gann; J. M. Williamson, Hollyleaf. District No. 16: J. W. Coleman, Trenton; C. W. Harrison, Trenton. District No. 17: F. J. Bruff, Bradford; A. H. Holmes, Bradford. District No. 18: J. H. Hunt, Gibson; J. A. Paris, Cedar. District No. 19: D. Witherington, Rutherford; O. McDaniel, Rutherford. District No. 20: Sam. Mitchell, Fruitland; J. H. Koffman, Fruitland. District No. 21: D. J. Hutchinson, Dyer; J. D. Gardner, Dyer; J. A. McLeod, Dyer. District No. 22: J. M. Ford, Idlewild; J. N. Thetford, Idlewild. District No. 23: N. B. Johnston, Edmund; H. L. Belew, Edmunds. District No. 24: W. B. Tilghman, Tyson; John Q. Temple, Mason Hall. District No. 25: W. W. Wade, Brazil; A. H. Fitzgerald, Trenton.

The present county officers are:

Judge of County Court, J. D. Hutchinson; Clerk of County Court, R. J. Dew; Clerk of Circuit Court, J. W. Vick; Sheriff, R. E. Morgan; Trustee, W. F. McRee; Register, G. W. Ingram;

Clerk and Master, Chancery Court, Legrand W. Jones; Surveyor, W. H. Dodd; Coroner, W. W. Harrison; Ranger, W. E. Seat; County Physician, Dr. T. J. Happel; Road Commissioner, G. R. Casey; Superintendant of Schools, J. B. Cummings

Members of State Legislature: Dr. A. E. Turner, Senator; W. L. Morgan and E. N. Stone, Representatives.

The county's Representative in the Congress of the United States is Hon. Rice A Pierce, of Obion County. The county is in the Ninth Congressional District, composed of the counties of Gibson, Dyer, Lake, Lauderdale, Obion, Haywood, Crockett, and Weakley.

The county is in the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit, composed of the counties of Carroll, Crockett, Gibson, and Haywood. Judge John R. Bond, of Haywood County, is circuit judge, and Hon. W. W. Wade, of Gibson County, attorney-general.

The Eleventh Chancery Division, in which Gibson is situated, is composed of the counties of Dyer, Fayette, Gibson, Haywood, Lauderdale, Obion, Tipton, and Weakley. John S. Cooper, of Gibson County, is chancellor.

 

PAGE 23 

PHOTO: New Courthouse in Trenton

The new courthouse of the county, just completed, is a building that in beauty of design, architectural finish, and convenience of arrangement will compare with any in the State. It fitly represents the progressive spirit of the people of the county. It is in all respects a modern structure, designed and constructed with an intelligent and comprehensive regard for the wants of a great and growing county.

The following account of the laying of the corner stone of the new courthouse is taken from the columns of the "Herald-Democrat" of Friday, October 20, 1899:

"According to previous announcement, the exercises of laying the corner stone of our new courthouse took place here last Wednesday. After an ugly day of lowering clouds and downpour of rain, Wednesday morning dawned as beautiful as a May day, with cool and crisp temperature. The work was to be done under the auspices of the Masonic fraternity, and some weeks ago Trenton Lodge No. 86 sent out invitations to every lodge and Mason in Gibson County, together with some outside of the county. Early Wednesday morning they began to arrive from all directions, by trains and private conveyances, until the number of Masons alone was estimated to be over three hundred. In addition to these, hundreds of citizens from all parts of Gibson County were here to witness the interesting event and to show their interest in the seat of the county government and our magnificent temple of justice."

"According to programme the Grand Lodge

PAGE 24   

PHOTO:    Residence of G.W. Wade, of the Law Firm Wade & Wade, Trenton     

opened in their hall at 11 o'clock and formed a procession, headed by a brass band, marching south on College street to Fourth street, thence west to High street, thence north to Eaton Street, thence east to the Square, and around the Square to the northeast corner of the courthouse, where the corner stone is situated. There the beautiful ceremonies were gone through with by Grand Master Bullock and his officers. Many papers, articles, and interesting documents, read out by Hon. A. W. Biggs, were placed in the corner stone, among which were: Copper plate, which was in the corner stone of the first Masonic Tempe in Trenton, containing the names of the officers of Trenton Lodge No. 86, at that time, as follows: A. S. Currey, Worshipful Master; S. W. Sharp, Senior Warden; and Robert P. Caldwell, Junior Warden. This plate contained also the names of the officers of Trenton Chapter No 36, Royal Arch Masons -- Nelson I. Hess, High Priest; C. J. Bradley, King; and J. C. Gillespie, Scribe -- and the names of the officers of the Grand Lodge of Tennessee, as follows: R. L. Caruthers, Grand Master; John S. Dashiel, Grand Secretary. On the reverse side of this plate were engraved the names of the present officers of Trenton Lodge No. 86 -- Dr. Z. Biggs, Worshipful Master; R. E. Grizzard, Senior Warden; G. B. Hicks, Junior Warden; M. Morris, Secretary --- and the names of the following Grand Lodge officers: M. W. Joseph Bullock, Grand Master; R. W. J. R. Smith, Grand Junior Warden; R. W. J. B. Garrett, Grand Secretary. The names of the present county officials, the Builing Committee, the architects, the contractors, and the chairman of the County Court are also placed in the corner stone, as were copies of the newspapers of Gibson County, the Daily American, and the Commercial Appeal; a copper plate containing names of the members of the bar of Gibson County; a roster of the County Court; the business enterprises of Trenton; photographs of the old courthouse together with a bottle of wine, coins, the first postal nor issued at Trenton post office, a twenty-five cent ______ Confederate bill, several advertising ____; photographs of President and Mrs. ________, and a calendar for 1899."  (Page torn here)

"After the ceremonies were finished, Hon. W. I. McFarland was introduced and delivered an able address, which was greatly enjoyed and appreciated by the large audience. At the conclusion of Mr. McFarland's address, A. W. Biggs, in behalf of the ladies of Trenton, presented him with a beautiful bouquet. Mr. McFarland responded feelingly and eloquently to the compliment."

"The dismissal of Peabody High School and the attendance of teachers and pupils in a body was no small feature of the occasion.

PAGE 25       

PHOTO: Col. R.Z. Taylor

All together it was a gala day for Trenton, and one long to be remembered."

The erection of this splendid edifice was attained after considerable effort on the part of progressive citizens of the county, and not without a good deal of opposition from the ultra-conservative element of the county. But after the building had been completed it became the pride of all the people. The building was completed and the keys delivered to the county authorities on Monday, July 1, 1901. The ceremonies attending the delivery of the keys and the dedication of the building were witnessed by a large concourse of citizens assembled in the large Circuit Court room of the building.

If credit is due to any one man more than to others for the new and beautiful, as well as commodious and modern, courthouse building, which is now the pride of Gibson County, it is to Col. R. Z. Taylor, of Trenton. For many years the old courthouse has been inadequate for the business of this large and constantly growing county, and had become dangerous to be used. The County Court had voted down a proposition to erect a new courthouse building, and it was apparent to all that remodeling the old one would not suffice. There was needed some one to take hold of the matter, work up the sentiment for a new building, then get the County Court to act upon it, and build.

When the Methodist Conference was held at Trenton in 1897, a large crowd of preachers and layman from all over West Tennessee attended, and among the number of laymen was Col. A. W. Stovall, of Jackson, who, being struck with the beauty of Trenton, its churches and residences, as well as by the dilapidated courthouse building, on his return to his home he wrote a poem on the "Old Courthouse at Trenton," which was published in one of the Jackson papers and copied in the county papers all over West Tennessee. This poem was too much for Colonel Taylor, and he at once announced himself as a candidate for membership in the County Court, and was elected. No sooner had he been elected than he began to agitate the building of new courthouse, and at the January (1889) term a committee was appointed to enter into a contract for the building of the new courthouse; and Judge F. D. Bryant, then the chairman, appointed Messrs, R. Z. Taylor, T. J. Happel, J. T. Hale, of Trenton; B. C. Jarrell, of Humboldt; and J. W. Howell, of Kenton, as the committee. This committee has been retained, with ine change, caused by the death of Mr. B. C. Jarrell; and, in his stead, his son, Mr. J. R. Jarrell, a well-known business man of Humboldt, was appointed.

The courthouse is now completed, and it is said to be the finest courthouse building in the State.

Colonel Taylor was born in Medon, Madison County, Tenn., on February 24, 1846; was the oldest on of the late B. M. Taylor. His father moved to Gibson County, Tenn, in October, 1848, and he was therefore reared and educated in this county. In January, 1864, he enlisted in the Confederate Army, and surrendered at Gainesville, Ala. on May 15, 1865. On his return from the war he settled at Trenton, and in 1869 he married Miss Mettie Ivie, the daughter of Mr. E. G. Ivie. The success of Colonel Taylor is due in no small measure to Mrs. Taylor, who is a woman of great force of character, as well as one of many charming graces.

 

PAGE 26 

PHOTO: Residence of W.L.N. Dunlap, Esq., Clerk and master Humboldt Law Court, Humboldt

In 1869, he was admitted to the bar, and moved to Mt. Vernon, Ill., where his father had large land interests, at which place he remained for several years, practicing his profession and selling off the lands belonging to his father, Judge Williams' estate, and others.

Returning to Trenton in 1872 he resumed the practice of law, and remained in the active practice until appointed by Chancellor Livingston as Clerk and Master of the Chancery Court at Trenton, in August 1887. He served two terms as Clerk and Master, and upon the expiration of his second term he resumed the practice of law at Trenton, forming a partnership with Mr. Albert W. Biggs, under the firm name Taylor & Biggs.

For about fourteen years Colonel Taylor was the chairman of the Democratic Executive Committee of Gibson County, and has always taken an active interest in politics. He is prominently identified with many enterprises at Trenton; is a member of the firm Taylor, Enochs & Co., and was a member of the firm of D. C. Taylor & Co., and has large land interests.

Colonel Taylor is a man of many loving traits of character, and is universally esteemed and admired by a large circle of friends and acquaintances. He has a large family, and lives in a beautiful home in the suburbs of Trenton.

_______________________

 

 

GIBSON COUNTY AND THE JUDICIARY

From its organization Gibson County has been noted for the high standing of its bar. Before and since the war the bar of the county has been prominently connected with the judiciary of the State. Ever since the Constitution of 1870 was adopted this county has had a representative almost continually on the bench of the inferior courts, and part of the time three judges from this bar have been in active service at the same time. The bar has been noted not only for its learning and ability, but for its integrity, professional courtesy, and admirable citizenship.

 

Judge A. O. P. Totten was one of the early members of the bar at Trenton, and was a noted lawyer in his day. Prior to the war he was made a member of the Supreme Court and served with distinction. At the time of his elevation to the Supreme Bench he was a resident of Madison County, but had resided there only a short time, and Gibson County has always claimed him because she made him. It is regretted that a cut cannot be obtained for this work.

PAGE 27 

PHOTO: Judge Samuel Williams

PHOTO:Judge John L. Williamson

Judge Samuel Williams was a pioneer in the practice of law at Trenton. He had a wide reputation and practiced in many of the courts in the other counties of the State. He was noted for his accuracy in the knowledge of the law and his pointed application of legal principles. In 1858 he was elected circuit judge, and held the office until the courts were closed by the Civil War. While in this office he envinced those peculiar characteristics that go to make up a good judge.

Maj. R. P. Caldwell became a member of the Trenton bar before the war. He was one of the big-brained lawyers of the State, and was especially noted for his powerful ability to present issues of fact before a jury. He was a diamond in the rough. In 1858 he was elected attorney-general and held the position until the breaking out of the Civil War. As a prosecuting attorney the State has had few men that were his equal. He entered the Confederate service and rose to the rank of major. After the war he turned his attention somewhat to politics and was a member of Congress from the district of which Gibson County was a part.

 

Judge John L. Williamson was a long time member of the bar at Trenton. He was noted for his brilliancy and wit as well as his high legal attainments. In 1867 he was appointed chancellor, which place however, he held for only a short time. He resigned the office to resume his practice, which was large and lucrative.

Judge Gideon B. Black came to Gibson County in the early fifties and began the practice of law at Trenton. He was a noted lawyer before the war, and was perhaps the best reader of human nature that ever practiced law in the county. He might well be termed "the rough and ready" of the Gibson County bar. At the breaking out of the war he entered the Confederate service, and at the close was a colonel of one of the noted Tennessee regiments. At the first election after the adoption of a new Constitution in 1870, he was elected circuit judge, and served for a term of eight years. He was a just and upright judge.

Judge Thomas J. Freeman was a native-born Gibson Countian, and began the practice of law at Trenton before the war. He was a brilliant and earnest debater, and took an active part in politics. He was a soldier in the Confederate army, and by the close of

PAGE 28  

PHOTO:Judge Thomas J. Freeman

PHOTO: Judge John T. Carthel

PHOTO: Judge W.C. Caldwell

the war had risen to the rank of colonel. In 1870 he was elected to the Supreme Court for a term of eight years. In 1878 he was re-elected, and was a member of that court during the memorable "103" case - the bondholders against the taxpayers - was decided, and his opinion in that case is an evidence of his legal ability and his accurate knowledge of the great legal principles that underline republican government.

Judge John T. Carthel began the practice of his profession at Trenton before the war, and at the breaking out of the war he and his brother were doing a splendid practice. Judge Carthel was noted not only for his legal ability, but for the forcefulness of his character and his polite and courtly bearing. He entered the Civil War and was a captain in the Confederate army. After the war he resumed practice at Trenton, and was one of the most successful members of the bar. In 1874 he was made a member of the Supreme Court Commission, a court established to assist the Supreme Court in disposing of its overburdened docket. On this commission he served with credit and distinction. In 1878 he was elected circuit judge, and occupied the bench for eight years. He was a vigorous, courtly, just, and upright judge.

Judge W. C. Caldwell began the practice of law at Trenton in 1878, and practiced with success until 1883, when he was made a member of the Court of Referees, another court created to relieve the Supreme Court docket. He served with much distinction in this position and made such a favorable impression that at the general election in 1886 he was elected a judge of the Supreme Court for the State at large, and in 1894 was re-elected for a second term, and he is at present a member of the Supreme Court. His opinions evidence the high type of his legal ability, and, on commercial law especially, are regarded as very high authority. He has served on the bench eighteen years, and is still quite a young man.

Judge John S. Cooper began the practice of law at Trenton in 1870, and from the beginning took high rank as a lawyer. He was quite successful as a general practitioner, but he was specially noted for his preference for chancery practice, in which line he was eminently successful.

PAGE 29 

PHOTO: Judge John S. Cooper (Chancellor of Chancery Division)

PHOTO: Judge M.M. Neil (Chancery Court of Appeals)

He was more than once appointed special judge of the Supreme Court and minor courts. He was mayor of the city of Trenton, and for one term a State senator. In 1894 he was elected chancellor, which position he how holds. He has made an enviable reputation as chancellor, and won the esteem of the bar and the people. In the midst of the busy rounds of the active practice practice of his profession, he has found time to devote himself to literary pursuits. He is not only well read and scholarly, but has also contributed articles of literary worth and merit to the press.

Judge M. M. Neil began the practice of law at Trenton in partnership with Judge John T. Carthel, and when Judge Carthel was made a member of the Commission Court the whole burden of the practice fell upon him, and though quite a young man he was equal to the occasion. He was one of the most successful, courteous, and painstaking lawyers that ever practiced at the Trenton bar. He had a State reputation as a splendid lawyer. In 1895, when the Court of Chancery Appeals was created, he was appointed by Governor Turney as one of the members of that court. In 1896 he was nominated for the place without opposition, and in the general election was elected, and is at present a member of that court. He has the reputation of being one of the most thorough, industrious, and learned judges that has occupied a place on the courts of appellate jurisdiction.

Gen. W. W. Wade is a native of Gibson County. His ancestors settled in the county at an early day, and were among those early settlers who opened and developed this great section of the State. In early life he suffered a severe affliction in the loss of one of his legs, but this in no way daunted his energy or his ambition. In 1881 he began the practice of law at Trenton, and at once gave evidence of those characteristics which go to make up a really successful lawyer. He was mayor of the city for one term. He was recorder of the city, and was twice elected as a member of the General Assembly of the State. In 1891 he was appointed attorney-general of the new judicial circuit created that year, and in 1892 was elected by the people for the balance of the judicial term. In 1894, at the general election, he was re-elected for the term of eight years. He enjoys the reputation of being one of the most vigorous, active, and well-balanced attorneys-general in the State.

The connection that Gibson County has had with the judiciary of the State, as evidenced by the long list above enumerated, speaks volumes for the character and reputation of the legal profession in Gibson County and shows the character of the citizenship of the county.

PAGE 30 

PHOTO: Dr. A.E. Turner

PORTRAITS AND BRIEF SKETCHES OF PRESENT COUNTY OFFICERS

Dr. A. E. Turner

Dr. A. E. Turner, of Neboville, Gibson County, Tenn., was born in Alamance County, N. C., in 1853, and was educated at Wilson Academy, Melville, N. C. He read medicine under Dr. B. F. Mebane, of Mebaneville, N. C. and graduated from the Medical Department of the University of Pennsylvania on March 13, 1874. He emigrated soon afterwards to Tennessee and located at what is now known as :Neboville," a small town in Gibson County, which has been built up in the last few years. Soon after his location in Tennessee, he married Miss M. M. Banks, of Gibson County, and resulting from this marriage he has two daughters and two sons. One daughter, Blanche, is now married to Dr. F. E. Wyatt, of Yorkville, Tenn.; one son is now at the University of Tennessee; and one son and one daughter are at home.

Dr. Turner has all these years continuously engaged in the practice of his profession. He has also engaged in farming, and is known in his county as one of the largest and most successful farmers in the county, paying especial attention to raising Jersey and short-horned cattle. He has at all times taken an active part in politics, and in evert election since he came to Tennessee he has contributed his part to the success of the Democratic party. In 1898 he was elected on the Democratic ticket State Senator from Gibson and Crockett Counties, and again indorsed in 1900, being now a member of the State Senate. It was through Dr. Turner's personal effort that the four-mile law was extended to towns of two thousand inhabitants and under, in 1899.

Dr. Turner's ancestors were Scotch-Irish and emigrated to this country in 1755, and settled in Virginia. When he returns home after the close of this session of the Legislature, he will resume his professional duties. He is a director in the Farmers and Merchants' Bank at Newbern, Tenn.

Dr. Turner has taken a lively interest in educational matters always, and has been largely instrumental in building up Nebo High School, at Neboville, Tenn., having been secretary of the school board ever since its establishment in 1890; in fact, he takes a part in every public enterprise. He has been a successful financier and has accumulated enough of this world's goods to keep the wolf from the door.

He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Knights Templar, and I. O. O. F., and a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

Hon. L. W. Morgan

L. W. Morgan, member of the State legislature from Gibson County, was born in Henry county, Tenn., on August 5, 1854. When about seven years old he moved with his parents to Gibson County, and was brought up on a farm, receiving such literary education as the common schools of the county afforded. Although denied the benefit of a collegiate education, yet such was the strength of his natural ability that by application he became a thorough English scholar, supplementing this by the development of rare business qualities. From early life he has devoted himself to the business of farming, in which he has been quite successful. Beginning in life with no capital, save his own indomitable purposes and excellent judgement.

PAGE 31

PHOTO: Hon. L.W. Morgan

he has become one of the largest landowners and most extensive farmers and stock breeders in the county.

In 1897 Mr. Morgan was elected, by the County Court of Gibson County, to the office of county surveyor, serving acceptably in that position for a period of three years, when his fellow citizens chose him to represent them in the State legislature, being elected to that position in the fall of 1900, and is at present a member of that body.

In 1886 Mr. Morgan married Miss Lula Gause, a most estimable lady and a member of a most prominent family of Brownsville, Haywood County, Tenn. They have five children living, all of whom give promise of becoming bright and useful members of society.

Mr. Morgan is a member of the Christian Church, also of the Masonic fraternity, and in politics he is a Democrat. In the business and social world Mr. Morgan is known and esteemed for his punctuality and honesty, his word being as good as his bond; in public affairs he is always in the forefront of progress; and in matters of social obligations no duty is left unfulfilled. With the people of Gibson County Mr. Morgan is quite popular.

D. J. Hutchinson
PHOTO:  D.J. Hutchinson Judge of County Court

D. J. Hutchinson was born five miles northwest of Trenton, Gibson County, Tenn., on January 8, 1853. His early life was spent on the farm with his father, near what is now known as Grizzard. His opportunities for an education were limited; but, by the use of diligence and walking three or four miles to school, he managed to secure a fair common-school education.

In 1874 he moved with his father to Southwest Missouri, where he spent one year; during his stay there he taught one term in a public school. He returned to Gibson County in 1875, where for a long time he worked on a farm, and was timber contractor for the Mobile and Ohio Railroad between Trenton and Dyer.

On September 13, 1877, he was married to Miss Nannie A. Grier, of Dyer, Tenn., and soon after he bought a farm one mile northwest of Dyer and moved there, where he still resides.

In 1883 he joined the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, at Mt. Olive, and was soon made a ruling elder in that congregation; he has also served several years as superintendent of his Sunday school.

In 1895 he was elected justice of the peace, which office he filled with such satisfaction the he was reelected in 1900.

He and his wife lived happily together for some twenty-three years, and their home was blessed with fourteen children; but on December 19, 1900, his wife was called away

PAGE 32 

by death, which was a great loss to him and which cast over his home quite a gloom.

He had the honor of being elected chairman of the County Court of Gibson County at its January (1901) term. and he seems to take great delight in transacting the business of the office.

Judge Hutchinson enjoys sober habits, using no strong drinks; and he and his entire family are free from the use of tobacco.

In politics he is a Democrat, and is a strong advocate of the principles as taught by W. J. Bryan. His opposition to Cleveland caused him to vite with the Populist party during one campaign.

During the life of the Agricultural Wheel and Farmers and Laborers' Union, Esquire Hutchinson was a very prominent member of these organizations, and was for several years their county president, which gave him an opportunity to become acquainted with many farmers in the county. In addition to his farming, he has spent much of his time for the last ten years in buying and shipping cattle and hogs.

Judge Hutchinson is regarded as one of Gibson County's foremost citizens.

 

                                                                                          R. J. Dew
PHOTO: R.J. Dew, Clerk of County Court

R. J. Dew was born on a farm near Lebanon, Wilson County, Tenn., on September 18, 1842. When a lad his parents, Davis Swift and Ruth Don Carlos Dew, moved to Weakley County, where his boyhood days were spent on a farm near Dresden. He received in the schools of that day, a limited education.

At the age of eighteen years, Mr. Dew joined the Confederate Army as a private in the first company of Weakley County Volunteers -- the "Old Hickory Blues;" was in the organization of the Ninth Tennessee Volunteer Infantry at Jackson in May, 1861; took part with his regiment -- which composed part of Maj. Gen. B. F. Cheatham's Division -- in all the battles fought, except that of Perryville, Ky., on October 8, 1862; was twice wounded -- first, at Chickamauga, Ga., on Spetember 19, 1863, and again at Missionary Ridge, Tenn., on November 25, 1863; and, as captain of the company then composed of the regiment of the old Ninth Regiment, surrendered, at the close of the war, with the army commanded by Gen. Joseph E. Johnston, at Greensboro, N. C., on April 26, 1865. After the close of the war he returned to Tennessee and located on a farm near Eaton, Gibson County.

While he was a soldier he professed conversion and, in August, a866, joined the Baptist Church at Springhill, Gibson County.

He was married to Miss Amanda Ferriss on January 8, 1868, from which union five children were born, three of whom are living -- Anna H., Carlos F., and Minnie Maud.

He moved with his family to Trenton in 1887, for the purpose of educating his children; engaging in various pursuits until August, 1898, at which time he was elected Clerk of the County Court of Gibson County, which position he now holds.

W. F. McRee

W. F. McRee, eldest son of John I. and Cynthia Mcree, was born in Carroll County, Tenn., near Christmasville, on January 4. 1842. He moved to Gibson County, three and one-half miles south of Trenton, in February, 1846, where he has since resided. He received his education at the "Old Field School."

Mr. McRee enlisted in Company G, Forty-

PAGE 33    

PHOTO: W.F. M'rer Trustee

Seventh Tennessee Regiment, in November 1861, and was paroled at Augusta, Ga., in May, 1865. While serving under Joseph E. Johnston, at Hope Hill Church on May 28, 1864, he was severly wounded.

After he returned from the war, he clerked at Trenton, Tenn., until January, 1872, when he returned to the farm and married Miss Lockie M. Johnston, who died in October, 1879. By this union he had one son and two daughters.

In September, 1881, he married Miss Alethia C. Campbell, an by this union he also had one son and two daughters.

He was elected constable of the Seventh District in 1874 and served four years; and in 1879 he was elected justice of the peace and served until 1898, during part of which time (1885-1889) he was chairman of the County Court.

In 1898 he was elected trustee of Gibson County, and was reelected to the same office in 1900.

Mr. McRee is a Democrat and a member of the old-school Presbyterian Church.

LeGrand W. Jones

PHOTO: LeGrand W. Jones Clerk and Master of Gibson Chancery Court

LeGrand W. Jones was born at Huntington, Tenn. His parents moved to Trenton when he was a small boy. He was educated at Andrew College and the University of Tennessee. His father Maj. L. M. Jones, was prominent as a lawyer before the Civil War, and afterwards until declining health compelled him to retire from active practice.

Mr. Jones has been an influential member of the bar of Trenton for a number of years. He ranks among the best lawyers of the State, and enjoys the reputation of being one of the safest counsellors and most accurate chancery lawyers at the bar. Since he attained his majority he has taken an active interest in politics, but has cared nothing for political office or preferment. He is a Democrat of the Jeffersonian school, and has devoted much attention to the science and principles of republican government.

In 1882 he married Miss Annie M. Taylor, formerly of Haywood County, Tenn., a member of a very large family of that name, who live principally in Haywood and Fayette Counties.

Upon the organization of the Law Department of the Southwestern Baptist University, at Jackson, Tenn., in 1899, he was elected dean, which position he resigned a year later, not having the time to devote to the position.

In September, 1899, he was appointed

PAGE 34

Clerk and Master of the Chancery Court at Trenton, which position he still holds. He is by natural endowments and application well qualified for a judicial position, and his friends predict that he will occupy a place in the judiciary of Tennessee.

G. W. Ingram

PHOTO: G.W. Ingram   (Register of County)

G. W. Ingram, present Register of Gibson County, is a native of the county, having been born on a farm in the Fifteenth District on August 7, 1860.

He pursued the business of a farmer until August 4, 1894, when he was elected to the office of register; he was reelected August 4, 1898, and is the present incumbent of the office.

His father, T. J. Ingram, was a Confederate soldier, and lost his life in the service.

Mr. Ingram, who has been selected by his fellow citizens to fill one of the most important offices in their gift, is a man of exemplary character and exceedingly affable and obliging disposition. He is a popular officer.

 

R. E. Morgan
PHOTO: R.E. Morgan, Sheriff of Gibson County

R. E. Morgan was born on a farm in Gibson County, Tenn., on September 17, 1866, and remained on the farm till he reached manhood. He comes from good old North Carolina stock, his family being a prominent one in the history if the county. His brother Hon. L. W. Morgan, is one of Gibson County's representatives in the Legislature.

In 1890 Mr. Morgan was elected to the position of night police of the city of Trenton, and in 1891 was appointed deputy sheriff and jailer under Sheriff T. L. Hess and served six years in that office. In 1897 he was elected constable in the Trenton district, which office he filled for three years. In August 1900, he was elected sheriff of the county, succeeding B. F. Jones, which office he still holds.

Mr. Morgan was married to Miss Minnie Thomas, of Trenton, on February 12, 1889. Two children have blessed their union, a boy of ten years and a girl of six years.

Mr. Morgan is a member of the Christian Church in Trenton, and of the Masonic Fraternity, and stands high in the county. He is a man of considerable ability, as evidenced by the many positions he has filled.

PAGE 35

There is no better criterion of the character of a people than the interest they take in the cause of Christianity. There are at least a hundred houses of worship in Gibson County for white people -- one to every six square miles of territory and one to every three hundred and fifty of its white population. The church property of the county will reach a value of $150,000. There are no very costly church buildings in the county, but there are a few very handsome ones, and all are neat and comfortable. It is a pleasure to go over the county and see the clean, white church buildings gleaming among the groves. My space will not admit of an extended chapter on the religious institutions of the county, and I can therefore but glance at this phase of the county's social progress.

Baptist Church

Although the adherents of the Baptist faith have constituted a large portion of the population of the county since its creation, the church had no distinct local identity until about 1836. Prior to that time the Baptists interests were included in the Western District Association, organized in 1825.

The oldest church organization in the county is Eldad, organized in 1828. The next is Springhill, organized in 1832; followed by Old Bethlehem and Poplar Grove, in 1836 and 1838, respectively.

The Central Association was organized at Eldad Church in 1836, with five churches and 163 members.

Now there are 26 churches and 3,560 members, and 1,550 children in the Sunday School. The following exhibit shows the churches, year of organization, membership, and pastor in charge at the present time.

Beech Grove, organized in 1866; members, 123; pastor, J. T. Early.

Bradford, organized in 1875; members, 162; pastor, W. A. Jordan.

Bethel, organized in 1875; members, 70; pastor, J. L. Davis.

Bethpage, organized in 1875; members, 88; pastor, L. McKnight.

Bethlehem, New, organized in 1851; members, 59; pastor, W. A. Jordan.

Bethlehem, Old, organized in 1836; members, 156; pastor, (not given).

China Grove, organized in 1852; members, 93; pastor, Edward Watson.

Center, organized in 1874; members, 215; pastor, A. P. Moore.

Chapel Hill, organized in 1846; members, ; pastor, (not given).

Clear Creek, organized in 1850; members, 50; pastor, J. T. Early.

Dyer, organized in 1885; members, 122; pastor, W. A. Jordan.

Eldad, organized in 1828; members, 170; pastor, J. W. Mount.

Gibson, organized in 1877; members, 156; pastor, J. N. Hall.

Hickory Grove, organized in 1863; members, 140; pastor, A. P. Moore.

Humboldt, organized in 1867; members, 205; pastor, L. T. Wilson.

Medina, organized in 1883; members, 103; pastor, W. L. Savage.

Milan, organized in 1867; members, 214; pastor, W. H. Sledge.

Mount Pisgah, organized in 1854; members, 120; pastor, J. W. Crawford.

Mount Pleasant, organized in 1848; members, 141; pastor, A. Nunnery.

Oak Grove, organized in 1870; members, 151; pastor, J. H. Coin.

Oak Wood, organized in 1900; members, 42; pastor, W. H. Sledge.

Poplar Grove, organized in 1838; members, 104; pastor, A. P. Moore.

Salem, organized in 1847; members, 150; pastor, W. A. Jordan.

Spring Hill, organized in 1832; members, 164; pastor, C. D. Jackson.

Trenton, organized in 1850; members, 216; pastor, J. H. Butler.

Unity Grove, organized in 1898; members, 17; pastor, J. T. Early.

 

Methodist Episcopal Church, South

Methodism in Gibson County is as old as the county itself. As soon as anything like

 

PAGE 36

PHOTO: Fairview, Residence of John E. Campbell, Humboldt 

a social state was formed in the new county, the people began church organizations.

In 1825 or 1826 the Methodists organized a congregation at the house of James Latta, near the present Olive Branch Church.

In 1827 a camp meeting was held at Richardson's Camp Ground, seven miles east of Trenton. In the same year a society was organized at Trenton and trustees were appointed to build a church. This church was completed by Thomas Fite.

In 1834 there were five churches comprised in Trenton Circuit, as follows: Trenton, El Bethel, Olive Branch, Clements, and Richardson's Camp Ground.

El Bethel was organized in 1827 at the house of William Goodman, four miles north of Milan. This church is now Walnut Grove.

Some of the oldest Methodist Churches in the county were: Stanley's Camp Ground, Oak Grove, Zion, Wright's Chapel, Hope Hill, and Antioch; these, with several others, were organized prior to 1850.

The denomination has in Gibson County to-day about thirty churches, with a membership of over thirty-eight hunfred, served by eleven pastors. The property of the church in the county is valued at $65,350.

The circuits are divided as follows:

Trenton Circuit -- Churches, 5; members, 606; pastor, W. J. Naylor.

Dyer Circuit -- Churches, 4; members, 406; pastor, T. J. Simmons.

Milan Circuit -- Churches, 4; members, 264; pastor, N. J. Peeples.

Bradford Circuit -- Churches, 5; members, 380; pastor, T. W. Hardin.

Medina Circuit -- Churches, 5; members, 562.

Trenton Station -- members, 308; pastor, S. L. Jewell.

Dyer Station -- members, 214; pastor, W. Armstrong.

Humboldt Station -- members, 360; pastor, R. W. Hood; mission has ? members.

Milan Station -- members, 248; pastor, B. Hardin.

Rutherford Station -- Churches, 3; members, 278; pastor, W. Mooney. (This includes Kenton Church).

The following is a list of the churches in the county:

Trenton Circuit -- Olive Branch, Brazil, Bowers's Chapel, Oak Grove, and Pleasant Grove.

Dyer Circuit -- Hopewell, Good hope, Poplar Grove, Grier's Chapel.

Humboldt Mission -- Pleasant Hill and Warren's Grove.

Milan Circuit -- Salem, Walnut Grove, Moore's Chapel, and _____ Chapel.

Bradford Circuit -- Bradford, Chestnut Hill, Antioch, Union.

 

PAGE 37

Medina Circuit -- Medina, Zion, Wright's Chapel, and Hope Hill.

Gadsden Circuit -- Gibson Station.

 

Cumberland Presbyterian Church

Among the first settlers of Gibson County were many Cumberland Presbyterians. These were gradually organized into congregations by itinerant ministers of the church. Rev. N. I. Hess was one of these, preaching in Gibson and adjoining counties. Forked Deer Circuit was one of the first circuits formed in West Tennessee; this was before Gibson County was created. Probably the first church organization in Gibson County was at Yorkville. Rev. S. Y. Thomas was one of the pioneer ministers in the Yorkville neighborhood. The first presbytery covering the church organizations in Gibson County was the Hopewell Presbytery; its first meeting was held at McLemoresville, in Carroll County. The church at Yorkville dates back to 1826 or 1827.

Some of the early ministers of this denomination were Robert Baker, C. Kribbs, R. Burrows, S. Y. Thomas, J. M. Greer, Abner Cooper, and M. Liles.

The denomination now has 23 churches in the county, with a total membership of about 2,500, and 1,400 children in Sunday school.

The following is a list of the churches, with the name of the pastor and number of communicants of each:

Antioch -- Members, 74; pastor, W. H. Johns.

Bradford -- Members, 18; pastor, W. H. Johns.

Chapel Hill -- Members, 29; pastor, O. L. Stockton.

Davidson's Chapel -- Members, 80; pastor, W. H. Johns.

Double Springs -- Members, 94; pastor, R. W. Oakes.

Dyer -- Members, 222; pastor, J. B. Waggoner.

Friendship -- Members, 58; pastor, G. W. Anderson.

Humboldt -- Members, 157; pastor, Jo McLesky.

Kenton -- Members, 150; pastor, J. I. Dickens.

Mayfield -- Members, 20; pastor, J. H. Davis.

Medina -- Members, 85; pastor, R. W. Oakes.

Milan -- Members, 65; pastor, S. A. Sadler.

Morella -- Members, 84; pastor, J. L. Dickens.

Mount Olive -- Members, 160; pastor, A. S. Johnson.

Pleasant Hill -- Members, 70; pastor, Jo McLesky.

Rutherford -- Members, 67; pastor, A. S. Johnson.

Trenton -- Members, 69; pastor, J. R. George.

Yorkville -- Members, 169; pastor, J. L. Cooper.

Beech Grove -- Members, 100; pastor, R. W. Oakes.

Cool Springs -- Members, 43; pastor, S. B. Zaricor.

Bell's Chapel -- Members, 150; pastor, J. A. McIlwain.

North Union -- Members, 147; pastor, J. L. Dickens.

Pleasant Green -- Members, 123; pastor, J. A. Kenton.

Total number of communicants, 2,334.

 

Christian Church

The first Christian churches were organized in the county about 1845. In that year Elder Talbott Fanning, of Nashville, established churches at Trenton, Liberty Grove, and Concord. The denomination now has congregations at Humboldt, Trenton, Milan, Dyer, Rutherford, and several other points in the county.

The denomination is growing in numbers and influence in the county, and its present membership will reach in the neighborhood of 1,000.

I have not been able to obtain a list of the churches and pastors of this denomination, as it has no general assembly or general organization.

PAGE 38 

PUBLIC SCHOOLS OF GIBSON COUNTY

PHOTO: The teachers of Gibson County (View taken at session of Teacher's Institute held at Trenton, July 4, 1901

The public school system of Gibson County began to assume definite shape about 1873, upon the passage of the present school law. This law created a State superintendent, a county superintendent in each county, and a uniform school system of public schools in the State. It prescribed the method of raising school funds and of building schoolhouses, and provided that the children -- white and black -- should share equally in the tuition funds of the State and should be taught in separate schools, Under this law the public schools of Gibson County were organized.

The first county superintendent was Dr. W. H. Stilwell, who served under the law passed in 1867. A. S. Curry followed in 1879 and was reelected in 1873.

The following are the names of those who have served under the present school law:

A. S. Curry, 1873-1875

Alfred Oliver, 1875-1877

A. S. Curry, 1877-1879

J. M. Coulter, 1879-1880 (Resigned)

James R. Deason, 1880-1885

A. Kellough, 1885-1887

John C. Wright, 1887-1889

A. Killough, 1889-1891

J. M. Baker, 1891-1895

Miss Flora Fitzgerald, 1895-1899 (Died on November 14, 1899)

J. B. Cummins was elected in 1900 and is the present superintendent.

 

The labor of starting the system and thoroughly organizing the educational work of the county was an arduous task, and it was several years before the system was in thorough working order.

In 1880 the scholastic population of the county was 11,982, divided as follows: White 8,705; colored, 3,277. Free schools were pretty generally established over the county, with a few graded schools in the principal towns, as Trenton, Humboldt, and Milan.

As yet the county was poorly supplied with schoolhouses. During Mr. Deason's administration of the office of superintendent, which began in 1880, he was very active in exhorting the people to build schoolhouses, with the result that during his encumbency of the office good school buildings were erected in almost

PAGE 39 

every school district of the county. From that time forward the public school system of the county gained in popularity, and as organization became more perfect, its benefits became more apparent.

In 1891 the Legislature passed an Act requiring all schools to be graded, prescribing the branches to be taught therein. Under this law all the schools of the county were graded.

For the last ten years the public schools of the county have steadily gained in efficiency, due, not only to the perfecting of the general system, but also to the more thorough preparation of teachers for their work This has been brought about by the establishment of county and district institutes, held under the supervision of the county superintendent, in which the teachers are trained in methods of teaching and the management of schools.

The condition of the public schools of Gibson County is at present very satisfactory. There is probably no county in the State better organized as regards its schools, not whose school interests are better or more ably managed than those of Gibson County.

Prof. J. B. Cummins, the present superintendent, is a most zealous and efficient worker in the cause of schools. He has eminent qualifications for the position of superintendent, acquired by long identification with the schools of the country, to which may be added a natural adaptation to the work. He has been connected with the schools of the county for twenty-seven years as teacher and as assistant in the office of superintendent and in institute work. The school interests of the county under Professor Cummins' management are in a most satisfactory and flourishing condition.
PHOTO:   J.B. Cummins (Public School Superintendent)

The following figures, taken form the Annual Report of the County Superintendent, show the present state of the schools in Gibson County:

Scholastic population, embracing children, white and colored, from 6 to 21 years of age: White, 11,661; colored, 4,610; total, 16,271.

Enrollment and attendance, 11,746,

PHOTO: Residence of James R. Deason of the firm of Deason, Rankin & Elder, Prominent lawyers of Trenton

PAGE 40

PHOTO: Laneview Assembly Hall

Average daily attendance, 8,178

Number of schools in county, 157

Number of teachers employed, 220

Number of school districts, 77

Number of schoolhouses, 148

Average length of schools, 119 days -- nearly six months

Average compensation of teachers per month, #32.21

Estimated value of all schoolhouses and grounds, $100,180

Total estimated value of school property, $103,742

School funds from all sources for 1900, $65,006

Expenditures, $43,005

Average cost of tuition per pupil per year, 74 cents

The establishment of this fine institution for the education of boys and girls is no less a striking proof of the progress made in the matter of education in Gibson County than it is of the enterprise and public spirit if its founders. The school was begun in 1887 upon slender and incomplete resources, but with a determination on the part of its founders to make it an institution in which the youth of the country might obtain the benefits of a college education without undergoing the risk and expense of attending distant colleges. Slowly, but surely, this goal has been attained; and now, in the first year of the twentieth century, Laneview College is an accomplished fact and can point with pride to her young men and women graduates, who, by their intellectual and moral attainments, reflect credit upon her as their alma mater.

The cut below represents only the principal assembly room of the college. The institution has its classrooms, chapel, library, and every necessary convenience for successful educational work.

Moore's Hall, an adjunct of the College for young men boarders, is well fitted for their accommodation.

A young ladies' home, for young female boarders under the care of the matron of the College, is another affix of the institution.

The full course of study embraces the primary, intermediate, and high school grades, together with a full collegiate course, ending with a B.S. degree.

The College is Christian, but nonsectarian, and the moral training of its pupils is held of prime importance.

The situation and environments of the College are such as to invite and stimulate study and develop the intellectual and moral facilities. It is in the midst of rural scenes, where the quiet of nature is undisturbed by the sights and sounds incident to the business and social world; it is surrounded by an enlightened farming community, noted for orderliness and morality. Three handsome churches are almost within sight of the College -- Baptist, Methodist, and Presbyterian.

The management of the College, including the Faculty and board of Managers, is composed of men and women who have the training of children at heart, and who are devoted

PAGE 41 

PHOTO: Some of the members of the Gibson County Medical Society

1)    Dr. Finis E. Wyatt, Yorkville
2)    Dr. Sydney Thompson, Humboldt
3)    Dr. E.T. Haskins, Tatumville
4)    Dr. J.C. Moore, Laneview
5)    Dr. J.H. Chandler, Humboldt
6)    Dr. J.P. Capps, Lonoke
7)    Dr. T.J. Happel, Trenton
8)    Dr. B.T. Bennett, Trenton
9)    Dr. J.W. Allen, Rutherford
10)  Dr. D.A. Walker, Trenton
11)  Dr. J.B. Rickman, Rutherford
12)  Dr. A.E. Turner, Neboville
13)  Dr. J.T. Faucett, Trenton
14)  Dr. W.J. Barker, Gibson Wells
15)  Dr. J.H. Drane, Dyer

 

to the task they have undertaken. They are experienced, capable, and conscientious.

They Faculty is as follows:

J. W. Meadows, Principal

Rev. W. H. Haste, Jr., Professor of Languages

Rev. D. B. Jackson, Assistant Principal

Miss Sallie Blakemore, Primary Department

Miss Edith G. Ridley, Music

Mrs. J. W. Meadows, Matron

Board of Managers:

J. C. Moore, M.D., President

J. W. Phelan, Esq., Secretary

F. W. Rawls, Treasurer

 

Calendar

First Term begins July 15, 1901

Second Term begins November 18, 1901

Commencement Sermon, March 23, 1902

Celebration of Laneview Literary Society, March 24, 1902

Eighth Grade Graduating Exercises, March 25, 1902

Collegiate Graduating Exercises, March 26, 1902

Concert, March 27, 1902

Teachers' Training School opens April 1, 1902

For catalogue and circulars giving full information in regard to course of study, rates, and management of Laneview College, address Prof. J. W. Meadows, Laneview, Gibson County, Tenn.

 

PAGE 42

 

Gibson County Medical Society

The Gibson County Medical Society was organized in 1884. At present it has twenty-eight members. John C. Paris is president, and B. T. Bennett is secretary. The society meets quarterly, on the third Tuesdays of March, June, September, and December. It holds three sessions at Trenton and one as decided upon by the secretary.

 

County Board of Health

The Board of Health of the county is composed of Dr. T. J. Happel, president; R. J. Dew, County Court Clerk, secretary; and D. J. Hutchinson, chairman of the County Court, who, by virtue of his office, is a member of the Board of Health. Dr. T. J. Happel is the health officer of the county.

It is the province of this board to look after the public health and sanitation, especially epidemic diseases. This duty has been well performed by Dr. Happel, the health officer of the county. Dr. Happel informs me that of the three hundred reported cases of smallpox last year, there has been a mortality of less than one per cent. The entire expense of the health department of the county in the last two years has been only fifteen hundred dollars.

 

ORGANIZATIONS PROMOTIVE OF THE FARMING INTERESTS OF THE COUNTY

 

 

The Gibson County Fair Association

 

The Agricultural and Mechanical Fair Association of Gibson County was organized some twenty-five or thirty years ago, and has been in operation continuously since that time. Its officers and stockholders are, and have always been, among the best men in the county. The association has always offered liberal premiums for almost everything in the agricultural and mechanical line and has always paid its premiums in full.

Its present officers are: Dr. T. J. Happel, president; W. W. Harrison, secretary; W. F. McRee, treasurer.

It holds its fairs annually, usually in the month of October, and lasts about five days.

 

The Gibson County Farmers' Institute

 

The Gibson County Farmers' Institute was organized in August, 1900, and is well supported by the farmers of the county. This organization is destined to accomplish great good to the agricultural interests of the county. It is a most popular institution . The president, William Gay, died in the spring of 1901, after which time the duties of that position devolved on the vice president till its April meeting, when L. D. Spight was elected president. J. H. Koffman is its secretary, and has been since its first organization.

 

The West Tennessee Horticultural Society

 

The West Tennessee Horticultural Society holds its meetings frequently in Gibson County. For many years a citizen of Gibson County was its president. This society has proved of great value in the encouragement and development of the fruit and vegetable interests of the county. It has also done much toward securing better, cheaper, and quicker transportation. Col. J. W. Rosaman, of Gadsden, is its president.

 

The National Shorthorn Breeders' Association

 

The National Shorthorn Breeders Association is another important adjunct to the farming interests of the county. This is an important society, instituted to promote the breeding of improved breeds of stock, especially shorthorn or Durham cattle. The organization is national in its scope, having members throughout the United States.

The association is in the fourth year of its incorporation under the laws of Tennessee. The registry of shorthorn cattle on the books of the association in the counties of Gibson, Dyer, Obion, Crockett, Chester, and Lauderdale shows more than five hundred head.

The present officers of the association are: Dr. J. A. Griffin, of Crockett County, president; Dr. D. A. Walker, of Trenton, secretary; and W. S. Corbett, assistant secretary.

 

PAGE 43

PHOTO: Residence of Frank X. Foltz, Proprietor of Humboldt Spoke Works

CITY OF HUMBOLDT

_____________

The city of Humboldt is the largest town in the county of Gibson, and the most important in point of commerce and manufactures. This arises mainly from its superior transportation facilities. It is a railroad town, owing its origin and subsequent growth and development to the two railroads that make this their crossing point.

In 1857 the Mobile and Ohio Railroad which was then building its line through the county, established a depot here, near where Mr. John C. Gillespie, an old citizen of the county, had previously established a small store. Mr. Gillespie was made agent of the road. A small settlement sprang up about the spot, and this seems to have been the beginning of the town of Humboldt. Mr. Gillespie was the pioneer citizen of the place and was the first postmaster, as well as the first merchant and railroad agent of the town. Mr. Gillespie came to the country about 1822, from Maury County, Tenn., and had been engaged in farming prior to coming to Humboldt. He continued to be railroad agent and postmaster at Humboldt until 1869.

Soon after the completion of the Mobile and Ohio Railroad through the county, the Louisville and Nashville Railroad began building its Louisville and Memphis branch through this portion of the county, and enterprising people saw that the point of crossing of the two roads would, in all probability, become an important place of trade and shipment.

John A. Taliaferro and W. A. Allison erected a steam saw and grist mill on the Mobile and Ohio Railroad near the depot. A land company, composed of J. P. Sharp,

 

PAGE 44

PHOTO: Residence J.J.R. Adams, Humboldt

J. N. Lannom, and W. C. Thurston, plotted a large piece of land and sold the lots to persons desiring to establish business enterprises or erect residences. This plot embraced a considerable portion of the present city, including Main street and adjacent streets in the principal business part of the town.

In 1860 the Louisville and Nashville Railroad completed its line, crossing the Mobile and Ohio Railroad several hundred yards north of the spot upon which the Mobile and Ohio depot stood, causing the abandonment of the ground in that locality for building purposes and fixing the site of the future city about the crossing point and upon the higher ground adjacent, north and east. The Osborn plan was perhaps the first land near the crossing laid out in lots. This embraced the portion immediately east of the crossing.

The Sharp, Lannom, and Thurston addition came next. The Roe addition was made on the north, and the T. C. Ferrell addition on the east. A small addition on the south was made by G. W. Wade. The city now covers an area of near two square miles of territory.

In 1861 the little town had made rapid progress and was fast becoming a center of trade and influence, as its promoters had anticipated. But in this year the terrible war between the States began, paralyzing all business enterprises and putting a stop to building and improvement. When peace came, in 1865, the town quickly recovered from the blighting effects of the war; and as social order and settled conditions resumed their sway, business revived, manufactories were established, buildings were erected, and the town grew with astonishing rapidity. In 1870, only five years after the close of the war, the population was over two thousand, and it was the second city in size in the county.

Humboldt to-day has a population of 2,866, being the largest town in the county, and has more manufacturing establishments and a greater number of factory employees than all the other towns in the county combined. There are employed in its various manufactories and shops no less than four hundred people.

The city owns its water works and electric lighting plant, and has a municipal organism highly conducive to the prosperity, progress, and general well-being of the city and its people. The religious institutions of the city are well supported, and the four handsome brick church edifices testify to the zeal and liberality of its Christian people. The city is well laid off and sightly in appearance, and there are many beautiful homes scattered throughout the city and in the suburbs. The city has a system of graded schools inferior to none of its class.

 

PAGE 45

PHOTO: Handsome Modern Residence, Property of H.C. Read of Big Springs, Texas
                (Mr. Read, being a non-resident, will set this residence on easy terms - price $3500 or will exchange                    for Texas lands)

The municipality of Humboldt dates from 1866. In that year the town was incorporated by a sort of "Blanket" Act, which applied also to the towns of Milan and Bristol. The municipal powers conferred upon the town by this Act were enlarged from time to time -- first by decree of the Chancery Court in 1875, and afterwards by Acts of the Legislature -- until the town had a fairly efficient system of government.

In 1901 the Legislature gave the city a new general charter, embracing all the essential features of a modern city government and repealing all previous enabling Acts. Under this charter the style of the corporation is "The City of Humboldt," and of its government "The Mayor and Aldermen of the City of Humboldt."

PRESENT CITY GOVERNMENT

Executive Department

Neal A. Senter, Mayor

Legislative Department

Frank X. Foltz

John T. Brown

C. H. Ferrell

William W. Baird

Dr. W. H. Mason

Board of Education

W. N. L. Dunlap, President

John E. Campbell

John S. Lewis

Hal P. James

William B. Seat

Joe H. McDearmon

Board of Public Works

Dr. G. W. Penn, President

Dr. J. H. Preston, Secretary

Superintendent of Waterworks and Electric

Light Plant

T. G. Scales

Fire Department

Outside of a volunteer fire department, which has never been regularly organized, the city has never had a fire department. The city's equipment for the extinguishment of fires consists of the city water mains, with direct pressure from the power house. There are forty water plugs for the attachment of the city hose. The pressure is more than ample to throw two or more streams of water over the highest three-story buildings in the city. The city has 1,200 feet of hose, one hook and ladder truck, one hose wagon, and two hose reels. The city is taking steps to organize active volunteer fire companies at the present time.

Judge of City Court

Neal A. Senter

Police Department

W. E. Blakemore, Chief

J. J. Atkinson

George E. Stovall

PAGE 46

PHOTO: Residence of B.F. Jarrell, Humboldt

The Mayor is elected for two years, and the members of the City Council, consisting of five members, are elected by the city at large for a term of two years, as well as the City Marshal, Treasurer, Tax Collector, Board of Public Works, and other city officials. The Board of Mayor and Aldermen have the power of appointing the different boards for administering the government of the city. These boards consist of a Board of Public Works, composed of three members; a Board of Education, composed of six members; and a Board of Health, composed of three members.

The Mayor performs the duties of a Recorder; and the Aldermen, under the new charter, elect all policemen, except the Chief of Police, who is elect by the popular vote of the people.

The Mayor is Judge of the City Court, with the jurisdiction of a magistrate in criminal and civil cases. He also has charge of outside city property, except when otherwise provided; and he executes deeds, under seal of the city, to lots in the city cemetery. The Mayor also collects all privilege taxes for the city.

The Board of Public Works has charge of public improvements and of the water works and electric light plant. One of the members of this board is its secretary and one is the chairman of the board. This Board of Public Works has the powers conferred upon it that are usually delegated to a board of its kind.

The new charter, as well as the old one, constitutes the city of Humboldt a special school district, to be managed by a Board of Education, possessed of the powers and authority and performing the same duties as devolve on district directors under the general laws of the State. The members of the Board of Education are elected for a term of three years, and it is arranged that the term of two members of the board expire each year.

At the organization of the city government under its new charter, in 1901, all the different departments of the city government were put in full and efficient operation, and the system of municipal management thus inaugurated has been eminently conductive to the improvement, growth, and prosperity of the city and to the happiness of its people.

The following is the list of Humboldt's Mayors from 1866 to the present time, with year of installment: Moses E. Senter, 1866; W. E. Allison, 1869; John C. Gillespie, 1873; John M. Camden, 1875; Joseph N. Lannom, 1876; J. C. Hailey, 1878; W. G. Atkins, 1880; W. T. Lenoir, 1881; N. A. Senter, 1882; H. W. Roberts, 1884; L. K. Gillespie, 1886; E. W. Ing, 1890; John T. Crews, 1894; N. A. Senter, inexpired term of John T. Crews, 1897; John A. Collingsworth, 1898; N. A. Senter, present encumbent, 1890.

 

PAGE 47

PHOTO: Baptist Church, Humboldt

PHOTO: Rev. Lloyd T. Wilson   (Pastor Baptist Church)

CHURCHES OF HUMBOLDT

Baptist Church of Humboldt

During the year 1867, Rev. D. B. Ray preached occasionally in the old Masonic Hall in Humboldt, and sometime during the summer he was assisted by Rev. J. F. B. Mills in a series of meetings, at the close of which a presbytery was formed and the first Baptist Church was constituted. Rev. D. B. Ray was the first pastor, serving the church about one year, during which time the church was received into the Central Association, at its thirty-first annual session, held with Pleasant Plains Church, Madison County, on September 14. Rev. Moses E. Senter was the second pastor and served the church during a part of 1868 and 1869. He was followed by Rev. I. R. Branham, who became pastor in the summer of 1869 and served until the spring of 1870. He was succeeded by Rev. A. J. Faucett, who remained in the pastorate but a short time, resigning in the summer of 1871. The church again called Rev. Moses E. Senter as pastor, and he served nearly two years, during which time a nice frame building was erected which became the home of the church and was used, though improved from time to time, until 1897. Much credit is due Rev. Moses E. Senter for faithful work done at this time.

In the early part of 1873 Rev. G. W. Johnston became pastor and served the church one year. Rev. M. O. Bailey succeeded in a one year pastorate. In 1876 Rev. W. C. Grace was called and served the church very acceptably two years. Rev. G. W. Griffin followed him in a two-years' pastorate. On November 1, 1881, Rev. W. G. Inman became pastor and served until December 31, 1892, a period of eleven years and two months, the longest pastorate in the history of the church. Rev. R. P. Mahon succeeded Dr. Inman, beginning his pastorate on July 1, 1893, and continued with the church until October 1, 1898, when he resigned to accept work in Mexico as a missionary.

PAGE 48

PHOTO: Methodist church, Humboldt

During the year 1897 the church erected a beautiful and elegant house of worship, at a cost of nearly fifteen thousand dollars. The present pastor, Rev. Lloyd T. Wilson, entered upon his pastorate January 1, 1899.

During the year 1900 a handsome pastor's house was built, at a cost of over two thousand dollars. The church is one of the most active in the State, along all denominational lines. For the first eight years of the history of the church it seems that the records were lost, and it is almost impossible to find out a great many things that are very important.

The first deacons were Jarrett Perry and his brother, Dr. Albert Perry, B. C. Jarrell, and W. H. Dodson united with the church in 1870 and 1872 respectively; they were deacons before coming to Humboldt. The next deacons were John C. Glenn and R. P. Lowe. Later other brethren came into the church as deacons, and others were ordained, among them W. T. Bunn, H. C. Burnett, Dr. G. W. James, Dr. J. Max Willett, J. R. Jarrell, A. R. Dodson, Dr. John T. Crews, J. W. Warmoth, C. A. Douglas, William Seward, H. N. Tharp, and B. F. Jarrell.

The first clerk was perhaps Dr. Albert Perry. W. D. Woodruff served the church to this capacity from 1875 to 1882. John C. Glenn was clerk from 1882 to 1886; H. W. Roberts, from 1886 to 1888; T. F. Stubbs, from 1888 to 1890; H. C. Barnett, from 1890 to 1896; A. R. Dodson, from 1896 to 1898; A. W. Senter, from 1898 to 1899. C. T. Jarrell was elected clerk in the latter part of 1899 and is the present incumbent.

The first Sunday school superintendent was probably Jarrett Parry; and then came B. C. Jarrell, who served the church for some ten or more years. John C. Glenn succeeded him and was in office about twelve years. His successor was John T. Crews, who served about five years, removing to Jackson in 1900. B. F. Jarrell became his successor and is the present incumbent.

During the last five years the church has suffered great loss in her membership by death and removal, many of the most important members dying among them: W. H. Dodson and wife, B. C. Jarrell and wife, Frank Elliott and wife and mother, Mrs. Mary Holloman, Mrs. Sarah Atkins, J. Max Willett, J. T. and J. W. Blair, Mrs. J. W. Warmoth, John Gill, Mrs. George Gill, and others; still, the present membership is perhaps the largest in the history of the church, the total being 205.

 

 

The Methodist Church of Humboldt

The Methodist Church at Humboldt was organized in 1860 by Rev. Nathan Sullivan. The congregation first worshipped in a small

PAGE 49

PHOTO: R.W. Hood Pastor Methodist Church

 

vacant store building that stood near the Mobile and Ohio Railroad track, some four or five hundred yards south of the present railroad crossing. The first regular pastor was Rev. R. H. Mahon.

In 1861 the congregation worshipped with other denominations in the basement of the old Masonic Hall. The church continued to worship here, all the time prospering and adding to its membership, until 1867, when a very good frame church was built on Crenshaw street, which served the congregation for over twenty-three years. During this period the church grew in numbers, influence, and wealth, and in 1899 began the erection of a new brick church, which has just been completed, at a cost of $15,000. This is one of the handsomest churches in the county. The parsonage was built in 1895, costing about $2,000.

The membership of the church is 360; and of the Sunday school, 200.

 

 

                               THE CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH of HUMBOLDT
PHOTO: Cumberland Presbyterian Church Humboldt

The Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Humboldt is one of the oldest church organizations in the city. The congregation was organized at old Hopewell Church, a short distance northeast of town, back in the sixties.

The first church built by the congregation was sold to the Christian brethren, and the present handsome and convenient building was erected on Main street, in which the congregation has worshipped since. The old Hopewell Church divided, and a portion of the congregation organized a church at Pleasant Hill, erecting a comfortable frame building, which is now a prosperous and growing organization. This church is served by the pastor of the church of Humboldt.

The church at Humboldt, under the pastorate of Rev. Joe McLesky, is a very flourishing body, exerting a strong influence in the community. It has a large membership both in church and Sunday school.

"Uncle Joe Mclesky," as he is affectionately and familiarly called by his neighbors and friends, is pastor of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church at Humboldt. I am

 

PAGE 50

 

glad to number him as one of my valued friends and a gentleman whose society I enjoy greatly.

He is known all over West Tennessee and is beloved by many and respected by all. He has preached over forty years, and in that time has come to be known by people of every class and condition throughout the country. He is a man of strong convictions and earnest purpose, devoted to the service of his Master, but inclined to think that everybody ought to join the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in order to be just right. I am not blaming him for his denominational zeal. It indicates his sincerity and deep-seated convictions -- essential requisites of a teacher and preacher.

PHOTO: Rev. Joe M'Lesky   (Pastor Cumberland Presbyterian Church Humboldt)

Rev. Joe McLesky was born in Weakley County, Tenn., on January 23, 1832. He knew what work was in his younger days. He told me some of the experiences in the logging camps and in teaming in early times. Always of a serious and devotional disposition, he turned to the ministry in early manhood. He was licensed to preach the gospel in 1857.

After the Civil War he was called to the pastorate of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church at Dyersburg and served as its pastor from 1866 to 1870. He then went to Humboldt and served as pastor from 1879 to 1879, when he accepted the pastorate of the church at Dyer. In 1890 he was called to a different charge, serving the church at ________ and also at Pleasant Hill, a church about three miles east of the city.

Mr. McLesky has been twice married. After the death of his first wife he married Mrs. Sallie Cooper, an estimable widow lady of Gibson County, who, with three children, the result of this union, constitutes his present family. Mrs. McLesky is a lady of fine social qualities, devoted to her husband, and a zealous worker in the church. The daughters, Miss Maunda M. and Miss Callie T., are bright, talented young ladies, popular in the social world of Humboldt; and Jo -- little Jo -- can be president of the United States if he tries hard enough. This position is in reach of all the boys, you know; but my little friend has the mind and manners that will carry him to a high mark if he improves them rightly. I hope to live to see him President. I am indebted to this Christian family for many acts of kindness and friendly regard while prosecuting my work, and shall ever remember my association with its members as one of the pleasant episodes of life.

I admire the "rough diamond" character of Uncle Joe McLesky as illustrated both in public and private life, and would gladly devote more space to its expression if the limits of this work permitted. I must content myself, however, with only this brief mention of him and his, trusting that the future may present opportunity for a more emphatic expression of my esteem and regard.

 

The Presbyterian Church of Humboldt

The Presbyterian Church of Humboldt was organized on January 7, 1866, with twenty-five members, and is a branch from the old Shiloh Church, which once stood four and one-half miles from Humboldt, northward, and was a famous old meetinghouse in its day, especially under the care of the celebrated Dr. Campbell.

This church is located on Webster street and is a substantial, neat brick building, comfortably furnished, and is lighted with electricity.

The pastor of the church is Rev. John G.

 

PAGE 52

PHOTO: Residence of John M. Senter, Fire and Life Insurance agent Humboldt

Garth who was reared in Union City and trained for the ministry at Clarksville. He was ordained and installed pastor at Humboldt on July 4, 1895. This is his only charge, and he gives to it his entire time. The church has about one hundred members and has a live Sunday school.

PHOTO: Humboldt High School

The Christian Church of Humboldt

This denomination has a very prosperous congregation in Humboldt, consisting of about seventy-five members. The Sunday school has an enrollment of thirty-four. The church was organized about 1896. The church building is a very comfortable brick structure, situated on one of the principal streets. Services are held each Lord's day. The pastor is Elder J. L. Haddock.

The Christian Church has in addition to the congregation at Humboldt, one at Concord, ten miles northeast of Humboldt; one at Deason's Hall, four miles east. Elder J. L. Haddock preaches for all these congregations.

 

The Catholic Church of Humboldt

The Catholic Church at Humboldt was organized in the year 1843 by the Dominican missionary, Rev. Louis Orengo. The membership then was about two hundred. For ten years Father Orengo attended the spiritual wants of this congregation, as well as many other local points in West Tennessee. Rev. Patrick O'Brien succeeded him, the mission being attended from Jackson, Tenn., for many years.

In 1894 the present incumbent, Rev. J. J. Beueler, was appointed regular pastor of all West Tennessee missions, with headquarters at Humboldt. During Father Beueler's administration many improvements have been made and a fund started to erect a new church. The Catholic membership numbers about seventy-five.

PHOTO: Neal A. Senter   (Mayor of Humboldt)

 

Public Schools of Humboldt

The public schools of Humboldt are under the management of a Board of Education, composed of some of the most progressive citizens of the place. These gentlemen have an eye to the best practical results in the matter of education. To this end the best teachers available are selected, and every provision as to the accessories of an educational institution are maintained.

The present building is scarcely adequate to the needs of a city like Humboldt, but it is a substantial brick, commodious and well placed.

A movement is on foot to erect another school building in order to meet the wants of the city.

The school is thoroughly graded, and embraces in its curriculum two grades above the statutory course.

The faculty of the institution is composed of Prof. C. P. Jester, principal; Prof. W. S. Hess, first assistant; Prof. G. A. Campbell, second assistant.

Primary and Intermediate Departments: Miss Lula Ing, Mrs. Bettie Senter, Miss Minnie McDowell, Miss Bessie Senter.

Music Teachers: Miss Dora Wayne Harrell, principal; Miss Marien Campbell, assistant.

 

Humboldt Courier
PHOTO: Sam Gilbert (editor and proprietorship of Humboldt Courier)

The Humboldt Courier is one of the up-to-date papers of West Tennessee. It is ably conducted, high-tones, and devoted to the interests of the people.


CONTINUE