Gibson County Illustrated (continued) — Trans120 139
- Type:
- Record
- Location:
- Gibson County, TN
Gibson County Illustrated (continued)
These pages from Gibson County Illustrated is courtesy of Jere Cox and Eddy G. Clark who gave their permission for the volunteers of Gibson County TN to transcribe it and place it on the Gibson Co. TN web site. Special thanks to both of them!
PAGE 120
taught for a few years, after he spent three years in M. C. L., graduating in 1895. He was principal of the Eldad public school, this county, for five years, giving the utmost satisfaction and endearing himself to the hearts of the patrons and pupils alike. For the spring term in1899 he accepted a position in Bethel College, McKenzie, Tenn., teaching in the special teachers' department, and also taking a special course in that college. During the 1901 vacation he had the honor of being appointed be the State Superintendent of Public Instruction to conduct a flourishing teachers' institute at Tracy City, Tenn., during the early part of the summer, and won some very flattering testimonials from those interested, besides the excellent complimentary notices from the Tracy City press, which, among other nice things, said: Prof. A. D. Hassell, of Gibson County, has been assisting with the work of our county institute this week, and has entirely endeared himself to the teachers and our citizens generally, not only because of his thorough equipment as an educator, but for his genial social qualities as well. Professor Hassell has so conducted himself at home and abroad as to possess some very strong and complimentary recommendations from many gentlemen of high standing and great influence. His scholarly attainments, moral character, and Christian conduct are such as to commend him to the favorable consideration of all who are interested in true educational effort. He takes a deep interest in everything pertaining to the upbuilding of the educational department of our State; and although yet quite a young man, he ranks among the leading educators of the Commonwealth. Lands of Gibson County.
Some idea of the state of improvement and productiveness of the lands of Gibson County may be obtained be a study of the values placed upon them for purposes of taxation. The following table shows the average value of the lands in the different civil districts as exhibited be the assessor's books. The average assessed value of lands in the whole county, as we have seen in the former article, is $9.38 per acre. The values below are given in whole numbers:
District No. 1 .................................. $ 9
District No. 2 .................................. 9
District No. 3 .................................. 10
District No. 4 .................................. 8
District No. 5 .................................. 9
District No. 6 .................................. 6
District No. 7 .................................. 11
District No. 8 .................................. 10
District No. 9 .................................. 11
District No. 10 .................................. 11
District No. 11 .................................. 10
District No. 12 ................................... 7
District No. 13 ................................... 10
District No. 14 ................................... 8
District No. 15 ................................... 6
District No. 16 ................................... 8
District No. 17 ................................... 6
District No. 18 .................................... 10
District No. 19 .................................... 8
District No. 20 .................................... 11
District No. 21 .................................... 12
District No. 22 .................................... 6
District No. 23 .................................... 8
District No. 24 .................................... 13
District No. 25 .................................... 10
It will be seen from these figures that there is a wide difference in the range of values placed upon the lands in the different districts, indicating, no doubt, advantage of location, state of improvement, and productiveness. For instance, lands in the Twenty-first and Twenty-fourth Districts are valued twice as high as those in the Sixth, Fifteenth,
Seventeenth, and Twenty-second Districts. The Twenty-fourth District bears rather a unique reputation. It is not only the acknowledged leader of all the other districts of the county in productiveness and agricultural progress, but it is singular in the fact that no negros are allowed in the district. Only white labor is tolerated, and almost every farmer owns his own land and cultivates his own farm.
I spent several days among the farmers of the Twenty-fourth District, and found them to be industrious, intelligent, moral, and exceptionally hospitable. Every man's latch-string was on the outer door, and his heart and hand were ready to welcome the stranger.
PAGE121
There is no town in the Twenty-fourth District, but there are plenty of churches and schoolhouses. Religion and education are governing factors in the social life of the people. Some of the farmers whom I met are: W. T. Dement, W. A. Minton, L. C. Tomlinson, M. D. Ratladge, J. W. Jones, Dr. W. B. Duncan, Esq. J. Q. Temple, William Tilghman, Esq. John W. Hart, J. H. Hundley, James F. Herndon, Horace Graves, Bud Fisher, A. K. Harget, James Barton, Jesse Garner, Thomas Howell, D. Hedden, Henry Jones, J. E. Jones, and many others too numerous to mention.
There are few farms for sale in the Twenty-fourth District, and where lands change hands the price rangers from $20 to $50 per acre. Statement of Shipments in Gibson County.
An an index of the resources and agricultural possibilities of Gibson County I present the following exhibit of shipments of farm and other products per annum from stations on the Louisville and Nashville, the Mobile and Ohio, and the Illinois Central railroads, as compiled from the books of the local agents of there roads in the county. There figures are averaged from the transactions of the last five years:
Humboldt, Mobile and Ohio Railroad:
Strawberries................... 45 cars
Tomatoes and vegetables........ 32 cars
Live stock..................... 60 cars
Grain.......................... 7 cars
Potatoes....................... 10 cars
Peas........................... 6 cars
Poultry........................ 2 cars
Box Material................... 80 cars
Logs........................... 45 cars
Lumber......................... 24 cars
Staves......................... 45 cars
Spokes......................... 25 cars
Marble monuments............... 12 cars
Plows.......................... 10 cars
Nursery stock.................. 30 cars
Heading and hoops.............. 13 cars
Miscellaneous.................. 12 cars
Cotton bales................... 575 cars
Humboldt, Louisville and Nashville Railroad:
Strawberries................... 55 Cars
Tomatoes, vegetables, and fruit 90 cars
Live stock..................... 75 cars
Grain.......................... 10 cars
Poultry and eggs............... 5 cars
Box material................... 84 cars
Staves......................... 50 cars
Spokes......................... 33 cars
Lumber and logs................ 25 cars
Heading and hoops.............. 20 cars
Marble monuments............... 20 cars
Nursery stock.................. 70 cars
Plows.......................... 10 cars
Cotton bales................... 400 cars
Fruitland, Mobile and Ohio Railroad:
Strawberries.................... 23 Cars
Tomatoes........................ 52 cars
Fruit – Peaches, apples, plums,
pears, etc...................... 12 cars
Cantaloupes..................... 10 cars
Live stock, grain, etc.......... 5 cars
Miscellaneous................... 5 cars
Trenton, Mobile and Ohio Railroad:
Live stock...................... 125 Cars
Grain........................... 30 cars
Flouring mill products.......... 75 cars
Fruit (orchard)................. 10 cars
Poultry......................... 5 cars
Staves.......................... 900 cars
Lumber.......................... 100 cars
Logs............................ 60 cars
Cotton and meal and oil......... 50 cars
Peas, sorghum, potatoes, etc.... 20 cars
Cotton bales....................3000 cars
Dyer, Mobile and Ohio Railroad:
Strawberries.................... 100 Cars
Potatoes........................ 52 cars
Grain........................... 66 cars
Vegetables and fruits........... 25 cars
Flour and bran.................. 9 cars
Poultry and eggs................ 58 cars
Box material.................... 76 cars
Lumber and spokes............... 21 cars
Miscellaneous................... 15 cars
Cotton bales.................... 546 cars
PAGE 122
Rutherford, Mobile and Ohio Railroad:
Grain.......................... 90 Cars
Strawberries................... 35 cars
Vegetables and orchard fruits.. 20 cars
Peas........................... 8 cars
Poultry and eggs............... 10 cars
Live stock..................... 37 cars
Logs, lumber, and staves....... 410 cars
Flour and bran................. 75 cars
Miscellaneous.................. 20 cars
Cotton bales................... 475 cars
Milan, Louisville and Nashville and Illinois Central Railroads:
Strawberries................... 20 Cars
Orchard products............... 30 cars
Tomatoes and vegetables........ 90 cars
Peas........................... 22 cars
Cotton seed, sorghum, etc...... 40 cars
Live stock..................... 100 cars
Poultry and eggs............... 5 cars
Mill products.................. 100 cars
Grain.......................... 10 cars
Staves......................... 80 cars
Cotton bales................... 3300 cars
Medina, Illinois Central Railroad:
Strawberries.................... 75 Cars
Tomatoes........................ 25 cars
Vegetables and orchard products. 25 cars
Grain........................... 12 cars
Poultry and eggs................ 5 cars
Lumber, logs and staves......... 90 cars
Cotton bales.................... 600 cars
Gibson Station, Louisville and Nashville Railroad:
Strawberries.................... 50 Cars
Tomatoes........................ 150 cars
Cabbage......................... 10 cars
Vegetables and orchard products. 10 cars
Poultry and eggs................ 10 cars
Cotton bales.................... 150 cars
Bradford, Illinois Central Railroad:
Strawberries.................... 50 Cars
Tomatoes........................ 75 cars
Vegetables and orchard fruits... 25 cars
Peas............................ 15 cars
Live stock...................... 25 cars
Poultry......................... 150 cars
Cotton seed..................... 24 cars
Timber products................. 800 cars
Ancient History, Traditional and Otherwise
At the second term of the Circuit Court, held in the county on November 22, 1824, David Crockett was fined $25, as was also Yarnell Reese, for failing to obey the sheriff’s summons as jurors. The fine of Yarnell Reese was remitted at the May term, 1825, and that of David Crockett at the November term following.
The grand jury of the November term, 1824, was dismissed without finding any indictments. Presentments for violation of law at this time were principally for gaming.
The first divorce suit instituted in the county was William D. Lewis vs. Sarah Lewis at the fall term of the Circuit Court, 1826. The suit was dismissed.
Afterwards, at the October term, 1830, on petition of Sarah Lewis, she was granted a divorce. At this term Green B. Chambers was presented for the murder of James Ricketts. The case was ordered dismissed by the court as not supported by reasonable cause. Publication of nonresident notices were made in the Jackson Gazette, there being no newspaper published in Gibson County.
At the November term, 1825, of the Circuit Court, held at Gibsonport, the grand jury returned true bills for gaming against Robert Gray, John Gray, Bernard Adcock, and Joseph Curtis.
The grand jury impaneled in the county was at the first term of the Circuit Court, held at the house of William C. Love, Judge John C. Hamilton presiding, and consisted of W. B. G. Killingsworth, foreman; Robert Beard, Isham T. Davis, George F. Crafton, William McKendrick, William W. Craig, Robert Temple, Robert Edmonson, John Spencer, Benjamin White, William Blakemore, Andrew Cole, and John Parker.
At the October term, 1825, of the County Court, John B. Hogg, John P. Thomas, Robert Tinkle, William C. Love, and John W. Evans were allowed $67 each for services as commissioners of the town of Gibsonport in laying off and selling the lots of the town.
In 1826 there were six persons on the county assessed with 5,000 acres of land each, as follows: Martin Armstrong, Jones & Bennett, George W. Gibbs, William Polk, Isaac Roberts, and Thomas Travis, each of whom paid $43.75 taxes.
PAGE 123
From the first settlement of the county up to the days of railroads the principal shipping point was Hickman, on the Mississippi River. Considerable shipping was done from Eaton, on Forked Deer River. Wagons were the means of transportation, and teaming was a regular business. The distance to Hickman from the county seat was about sixty miles. Hale’s Point, at the mouth of Forked Deer River, was the transfer point for keel boats coming out of Forked Deer River. The cost of wagon transportation to Hickman was $3 per bale of cotton.
The contractors who built the brick courthouse in 1840-1 were Robert Jetton and Solomon Shaw. The also erected a building for the Branch Bank of Tennessee on the southwest corner of Public Square and Eaton Street, Trenton.
The first marriage solemnized in the county was that of Richard Lewis to Sarah Sellers. The license was obtained from Stewart County. I wonder if this is the same couple who figured in the first divorce suit brought in the county? They were married in 1822. The court records give the names of the parties to the divorce suit as William D. Lewis vs. Sarah Lewis in 1826. Sarah was granted a divorce in 1830.
The first legal hanging in the county was that of a negro named Henry for murder of a boy, the son of a widow lady named Franklin. He was hanged at Trenton on April 4, 1843.
The first person sent to the penitentiary from Gibson County was Thomas Watson in 1835. He was sent for three years for horse stealing.
Some of the early lawyers of the county were the two Tottens, Felix Parker, Felix Grundy, R. P. Raines, Adam Huntsman.
Some of the early doctors were: Dr. Crisp, Dr. Fonville, N. I. Hess, Dr. Love, Dr. Lea, and Dr. Levy. Some of the early merchants were: Robert Seat, Nelson Caruthers, Brown & Taliaferro, Woodfin & Elder Brothers, Claiborne & Davis, A. P. Griggsby, Seat & Norton.
The first mill for grinding corn was built by Thomas Fite and James Randolph on Forked Deer River. Soon after another mill was erected by Mr. Page on the same river, about ten miles west of Trenton. A Mr. Moore erected another mill in the same neighborhood, which was the first mill that ground wheat. Fruitland is a station and village on the Mobile and Ohio Railroad, five miles north of Humboldt. It is the center of a fine farming section, in the Twentieth Civil District, noted for the production of fruits and vegetables. Strawberry and tomato culture is carried on extensively by the farmers of this section, no less than thirty car loads if the former and sixty of the latter being shipped from this point in a season. Apples, peaches, pears, plums, and canteloupes enter largely into the sum total of shipments from Fruitland. Including all products, the annual shipments from this point will exceed 150 car loads.
The neighborhood of which Fruitland forms the trading and shipping center is noted for its high state of progress in industrial and social development.
Religion, morals, and education are characteristic of the community. The Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, and Christian denominations, all have good church buildings and flourishing congregations. A splendid graded school is maintained, whose reputation for thorough educational work is known all over the county.
Edison Institute
Edison Institute is beautifully located about two miles west of Fruitland at the crossing of the Poplar Corner and the Brazil and Fruitland roads.
This is a district public school that takes, on account of its magnitude and method of management, somewhat the character of a higher educational institution. The entire district is consolidated in this one institution. This enables the districts to have an eight-months’ school term and facilitates the maintenance of higher grades. In addition to the eight grades of the State curriculum. two grades in the high school are taught. The school perhaps reached the highest enrollment under Prof. C. S. Henning, in 1897, when it reached the number of 147.
PAGE 124
The enrollment for the past year was 115. For the the past two years the school has been under the management of Miss Essie Mai Davidson as principal, with Miss Mattie Boyd in charge of the primary department and Miss Gertrude Fullerton in charge of the musical department.
PHOTO: Miss Essie Mai Davidson
The school has been run entirely with public money, the public funds having never been supplemented be any private subscriptions of any kind. Much of the success of the school at Edison Institute is due to the careful, efficient method of management of the present board of directors, the present board having served for a number of years. The board of directors are: S. Mitchell, President; J. H. Koffman, Secretary; A. W. Freeman.
J. H. Koffman.
J. H. Koffman is of German descent and is a native of McNairy County, Tenn., but moved with his father to Gibson County when about ten years old. His is the third and youngest son of J. C. Koffman, who came to West Tennessee with his father when but a youth, and is still living. J. H. Koffman's mother was Abigail Hawkins Atkins, and was born in North Carolina about 1818. She died in 1898.
Mr. Koffman has always lived on a farm and been fully identified with the farming interests. His farm and home is situated five miles south of Trenton in the Twentieth District. He has always taken an active part in farmers' organizations; was for seven years secretary and treasurer of the Agricultural Wheel and Farmers and Laborers' Union of Gibson County, and was for a time secretary and treasurer of the Ninth Congressional District Farmers and Laborers' Union, and is at present secretary of the Gibson County Farmers' Institute.
He was educated principally at the Central Normal School and I. O. O. F. College at Humboldt, Tenn. After leaving school he taught in the public schools of the county for eight or ten years and was quite successful as a teacher. He has always taken great interest in educational matters and has served his district in the newspaper business of Gibson County, his first venture being in 1882 with the West Tennessee Argus, of Humboldt, of which he was for a time editor. In 1893 he established the Tennessee Populist, of which he was editor until he sold his outfit two years later. He is at present editor of the Gibson County Journal, published at Trenton.
PHOTO:J. H. Koffman
PAGE 125
In addition to his editorial work he has contributed considerably to other papers and periodicals. He has twice been a candidate for State Senator; once as an independent candidate from Gibson County, and once as the nominee if the Populist party from the counties of Gibson and Crockett. In both of these races he made an active canvass and received a flattering support. In 1888, he was elected magistrate of his district, which office he has held continuously since, the present term to which he has been elected expiring in 1906.
Mr. Koffman was first married to Miss Emma B. Phelan in 1885. By this union three children were born, two boys and one girl - all living. His second marriage was April 7, 1901, to Miss Mattie L. Boyd, one of the most prominent primary teachers of the county.
Mr. Koffman is a member of the Baptist Church, his membership being at Center Church, where it has been for more than twenty-five years.
Mrs. J. H. Koffman
Mrs. Mattie Boyd Koffman, is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Boyd, of Dyer, Gibson Co., Tenn. She was educated principally in the schools of Dyer and Rutherford. Since leaving school she has spent most of her time in teaching, having taught her first school at Rutherford. After teaching for three years she attended Bethel College, McKenzie, Tenn., in 1898, and took a teachers' training course, acquitting herself with honor. In the winter of 1898 she taught school at Locust Grove, in the Twenty-fourth District of this county, and the following year took charge of the primary department of Edison Institute, where she has been since. She has been for sometime recognized as one of the county's leading primary teachers. On April 7, 1901, she was married to M. J. H. Koffman, one of Gibson County's most prominent and influential me. Mrs. Koffman is still very much interested in the educational cause, although she does not expect to continue teaching. She is an active member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and always takes a great interest in the work of her church.
PHOTO:Mrs. J. H. Koffman
Dr. J. N. Koffman
Dr. J. N. Koffman was born in McNairy County, Tenn., on April 5, 1851, and was the second son of James C. and Abigail H. Koffman. He moved with his parents to Gibson County in 1866. His early life was spent on the farm, be he succeeded in acquiring a practical common school education. He took a course at Jones' Commercial College, St. Louis, Mo., and kept books for two years; then he taught school for five years, with considerable success. Dr. Koffman read medicine with Dr. J. W. Penn, of Humboldt, after which he attended the medical department of the University of Nashville and Vanderbilt University, from which institutions he graduated in the spring of 1881. He then entered into the active practice of medicine in which he has since been engaged. He has been a regular and active member of the Gibson County Medical Society since its first organization, and has always stood for the practice of regular medicine, in its various branches. Though busy, he has always stopped to administer to the destitute, sick, and helpless. In 1883 he was married to Miss Mattie E. Motley. This happy union has been blessed with three girls and seven boys, five of whom are living.
PAGE 126
Dr. Koffman united with the Baptist Church in the fall of 1870, and participated in the organization of Center Church in 1874, and has served it a clerk for more than twenty years. He has always been a lover of Sunday schools and children who attend Sunday schools, and belongs to that class of citizens who believe in progressive thought. His spare time from the sick room has been employed in growing berries and
PHOTO:Residence of Dr. J. N. Koffman, Twentieth District (This photo is centered on the page)
encouraging others to grow them. He has labored hard to build up these favored farm interests in and around Fruitland. His love for country and outdoor life help to make his pleasant humor and good health. The writer always found Dr. Koffman and noble wife ready to entertain and welcome everyone to their hospitable home.
Austin Bailey and George W. Bailey.
Austin Bailey was born in Wake County, near Raleigh, N. C., on February 14, 1822. He ran away from his father in North Carolina at the age of fourteen, making his way on foot, and in such other ways as he could travel, to Gibson County, Tenn. This was about 1826. He went to work on a farm at fifteen cents per day and board, for Gray Barker, near Old Gibson Church, in the Twentieth District. He worked for some time for Barker and other farmers, and then hired to work at McDowell's mill on middle fork of Forked Deer River.
At about the age of eighteen he married Miss Martha Motley and began housekeeping near the mill; he continued his connection with the mill until after the war, running it during the war. He owned one-fourth interest in the mill during this time but sold out in anticipation of water power'' being superseded be steam. Up to the close of the war, or when the slaves were freed, Mr. Bailey had, by industry, economy, and good management, a sum aggregating $10,000. This he had principally invested in slaves. When the slaves were freed his property and savings were swept away, leaving him about 150 acres of land. He then devoted himself to farming and had a most excellent helper in his son George, who was born April 11, 1849; and at the close of the war, about the time that Mr. bailey was passing through the crisis of its disaster, he was able to take a very active part in his father's business. He grad-
PAGE 127
ually developed such talent for business and work that a great many of the transactions in which his father engaged were entrusted to his hands. He finally became a full partner in all the business. The firm of Bailey & Son is at this time one of the leading firms of the county in farming and real estate operations. Mr. Bailey's rule in life has been to pay as he goes. He never contracts a debt, even in the smallest matters; never goes security for anyone or goes on bond, and of course never asks anyone to go security for him.
Mr. Austin Bailey is now seventy-nine years old, and for many years past has relied on his son George for the active part of his
PHOTO:Austin Bailey
business affairs, and for carrying on correspondence and attending to the details of the firm's varied interests.
The firm of Bailey & Son is interested in both the Merchants' State Bank and the Bank of Humboldt, Mr. George W. Bailey being vice president of the Bank of Humboldt.
The firm owns a large amount of farm lands in Gibson and Crockett Counties, amounting to 3,000 acres or more, and business property in Trenton and Humboldt. Mr. George W. Bailey has never married-not on account of any aversion to the female sex, but he says that he has been too busy all his life to look around for a wife, but will have a little leisure from this on, and will give the subject some attention.
Mr. Austin Bailey, though advanced in age, is still active and zealous in business affairs. He is well preserved both in body and mind, and is socially inclined, being fond of the society of young people.
PHOTO:George W. Bailey
His religious views correspond to those of the Missionary Baptists. He has always been a very temperate man, has never used tobacco in any form, and eschews liquors of all kinds.
The tax schedule of Gibson County shows the holdings of Bailey & Son to be among the largest in the county, and municipal-foot up over $700 per annum. Mr. Bailey has a very comfortable home on one of his farms about eight miles west of Humboldt, ten miles southwest of Trenton, and two miles east of Gibson Wells on the Humboldt and Gibson Wells road.
John B. Mitchell, Prominent Farmer.
Mr. John B. Mitchell is one of the progressive and prosperous farmers of the Fruitland neighborhood. He has a beautiful home and a fine farm of 400 acres about three and one-half miles west of Fruitland. He is a native of the Twentieth District, in which he lives, and has been a farmer all his life, and
PAGE 128
a successful one. He married Miss Sudie Bennett, daughter of Major Bennett, a prominent citizen of Fruitland. They have three promising boys, all little farmers and workers.
Mr. Mitchell is a good, reliable citizen; a member of the Baptist Church at Center, a leading church in the neighborhood. Mr. Mitchell, in addition to operating his large farm, also operates the only self-feeding steam wheat thresher in Gibson County.
Business Enterprises of Fruitland.
J. H. Koffman & Co., general merchants.
H. A. Deming, general merchant.
Mrs. L. D. Brannan, general store.
H. C. Bennett, blacksmith.
R. K. Bennett, Saw and grist mill and cotton gin.
Milan
The town of Milan is situated in the south-eastern portion of Gibson County, at the crossing of the Jackson Division of the Illinois Central and the Memphis Division of the Louisville and Nashville Railroads. It was incorporated be the Legislature of 1866. The first mayor was John G. Shepherd, who was a merchant. Nearly all of the frame business houses have been torn away and replaced with substantial brick structures. In 1873 H. P. Miller erected the Southern pacific Hotel building, which is still standing, is kept in good repair, and is, without exception, the handsomest and most commodious hotel building in Tennessee, in a town of Milan's size. It is now operated by E. M. Brown.
The last census gave Milan a population of a little less than 2,000 inhabitants, and she has taken advantage of that fact to rid herself of saloons under the Act of the Legislature of 1899, providing that towns with a population of not more than 2,000 inhabitants may, by surrendering their charters and reincorporating, have the four-mile law applied to them.
The institution of which Milan may well be proudest is her public school system. For the white school she has a large two-story brick building with five classrooms and two large
PHOTO:Residence of John B. Mitchell, Prominent Farmer of Twentieth District
halls; also a two-story frame building which is used as a primary department. These two buildings are situated on a beautiful campus of about five acres. The average attendance is about 300 pupils. Eight teachers are employed. The colored school building is a substantial two-room frame structure, situated upon a large and shady campus. The average attendance is fifty, and two teachers are employed. An extra tax of thirty cents on the one hundred dollars' worth of property is levied, and goes exclusively to the support of the schools; besides this the city poll tax and 40 per cent of the privilege and ad valorem taxes goes to the school fund.
In the early part of 1898, at a cost of only about $18,000, Milan completed a splendid water and light plant. The supply of water is afforded by two wells about 175 feet deep. The wells have been tested and the supply has proven inexhaustible. The water is pure and good. The town is well lighted by arc lamps. For the purpose of putting in the plant the town issued $16,000 of bonds. The plant is being economically managed and is beginning to prove a paying investment to the town.
There are seven church organizations in the town and six church buildings. The or-
PAGE 129
ganizations are Methodist, Baptist, Cumberland, Presbyterian, Christian, Church of Christ, and Christian Scientists. With the exception of the scientists, all of these own their own buildings.
In the way of manufactories Milan has one roller mill of 120 barrels capacity, one sawmill, one stave factory, one shook factory, and one pea huller factory. The railroad facilities are good and this is a splendid place for a woolen mill and a cotton or knitting mill. An ice factory would pay good dividends at this place.
The city government is composed of a Mayor, Marshal, and six Aldermen. The city officers are as follows: Sid R. Clark, Mayor. Alderman: C. A. Lacy, S. B. Karnes, R. L. Coley, C. P. Haun, W. C. Barham, and W. T. Dickey. City Marshal, M. S. Clark. Board of Education: E. W. Stone, President; J. R. Harrison, Secretary; R. A. Clopton, B. D. Caldwell, G. W. Williamson, and B. D. Mills.
The history of Milan dates about 1869, when the Louisville and Nashville Railroad was built through the county. The railroad established a depot at this point and called it Milan. The United States postal authorities established a postoffice at the same time.
After the Civil War the town grew considerably, and in 1872, when the Illinois Central Railroad built its line through the county, crossing the Louisville and Nashville here, the town became a place of importance. It had a population in 1880 of 1,200 and did an extensive business; in 1890 the population was 1, 546; in 1900 it was 1,682.
B. A. Williamson was the first railroad agent and postmaster at Milan.
The Churches of Milan.
The Baptist Church was organized in 1867. Some of the first members of the church who participated in the organization at that time were S. P. Clark and wife; R. B. Hutchinson and wife; E. A. Collins and wife; Rev. James M. Hurst and wife and daughter; Zach Jackson, Dr. Arthur Pearce, and others, in all about fifteen. The first pastor was the Rev. James M. Hurst. The congregation worshiped in the old Masonic Hall until 1870, when the present brick church building was erected. Only three members of the original congregation are now living-E. A. Collins and wife, and R. A. Clark. The present membership of the church is 234; of the Sunday school, 100. The present pastor is the Rev. W. H. Sledge, who has been in charge of the church since 1898.
The Congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was organized about 1865, and worshiped, prior to the erection of the present church building, in the old Masonic Hall, since torn down. The present church building was erected in 1868. The first pastor was O. P. Parker, in 1868. Since then the following have served the church as pastor: J. H. Garrett, W. T. Bowling, Ed Organ, T. L. Sanders, J. E. Beck, W. H. Leigh, B. F. Peeples, J. M. Scott, A. L. Pritchett, J. M. Maxwell, M. M. Taylor, W. H. Armstrong, R. M. King, E. B. Graham, B. A. Hays, W. T. Lock, J. T. Wiggins, B. F. Blackman, W. W. Adams, W. D. Jenkins, and S. B. Love. The present pastor is J. R. Hardin. The present membership of the church is 243, and of the Sunday school, 250. The auxiliary societies are: The Woman's Missionary, Juvenile Missionary, Home Parsonage Society, and Epworth League, all of which are well sustained. In 1900 revival services in the church resulted in 102 conversions, and an addition to the church fifty members.
The Christian Church was organized in 1897. W. T. Bowles was its first pastor. At present the church has no regular pastor. The congregation holds services every Sunday. Occasionally Elder E. C. L. Denton and other preach for them. Mr. Denton's home is in Milan. He preaches for several churches in Henry and Carroll Counties, Tenn., and Calloway County, Ky.
The Cumberland Presbyterian Church is one of the oldest in Milan. It is a very prosperous church with 150 members.
PAGE 130
Church of Christ (Scientists).
This is an organized body of worshipers having readings and services every Sunday at the rooms of the society at D. A. Taylor's residence. The society was organized in 1893. The organizers and prominent members are Mrs. Minor P. Moore, Mrs. E. N. Stone, and Mrs. D. A. Taylor.
W. H. Coley.
Mr. W. H. Coley, of Milan, Tenn., is the proprietor of the Coley Drug Co., of Milan: director in the Milan Banking Co.; vice president of the True-Tagg Paint Co., of Memphis, Tenn., and a director in the Puryear-Miller Manufacturing Co. and the VanVleet-Mansfield Drug Co., of Memphis, Tenn.
Mr. Coley is a native of Gibson County, and has made his home in the county all his life. His connection with the various important business enterprises mentioned sufficiently indicate his business ability and activity. He is well known throughout West Tennessee, having for some eighteen years represented the VanVleet-Mansfield Drug Company in that section of the State.
In his home community Mr. Coley occupies a high social position, and is especially helpful and ready in all measures and movements promotive of the public good.
W. C. Barham.
Mr. Barham's home and business headquarters are at Milan. He operates a stock farm near Milan, devoting his farm operations to the breeding of shorthorn cattle and registered horses, also grazing stock. He is the owner of some of the best bred saddle stallions in the State, namely: King Duluth, No. 20, S. H. R.; Brown Squirrel, No. 1114; Tennessee Denmark, No. 1239; and others equally as well bred. More mares are bred to his horses than to any others in the county.
He transacts an extensive general shipping business in live stock, his transactions covering an aggregate of $50,000 per annum in this line alone.
He has shipped since August, 1900, $40,000 worth of stock, embracing horses, cattle, and hogs.
Mr. Barham was born in Carroll County, near the line of Gibson, in 1858, of North Carolina parentage and has followed the business of farming, stock raising, and breeding, all his life.
He has made his home in Milan since December, 1897. He is a member of the Board of Alderman of the city of Milan and is active
PHOTO:Residence of W. H. Coley, Milan, Tenn.
in the promotion of the well-being and progress of his town and county. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Woodmen of the World, and Ancient Order of United Workmen, in all of which relations he is a liberal and helpful worker.
In 1882 he married Miss Maggie Manning, an estimable young lady and a member of a prominent family of Gibson County, a sister of P. H. manning, of Montgomery Bell Academy, and Peabody Normal College, of Nashville, on of the leading educators of the State. Mr. and Mrs. Barham have three
131
PHOTO: W. C. Barham
children, two sons and a daughter, to bless their union, all of whom are bright and promising children.
People's Bank of Milan.
Incorporated under the general laws of the State in 1889; authorized capital, $40,000. D. A. Taylor, President; D. A. Belew, Vice President; J. R. Harrison, Cashier; W. E. McNail, Assistant Chasier. Directors: D. A. Taylor, D. C. Caldwell, B. A. Denney, J. R. Harrison, D. A. Belew, D. H. Wyont, J. L. Culp, W. R. Smith, John D. Denney, B. F. Johnson, B. D. Mills.
Milan Banking Company.
Incorporated under the general laws of the State in 1893. Authorized capital, $50,000; $25,000 paid in. President, B. A. Denney; vice president, M. W. Wheeler; cashier, Fred Collins; assistant cashier, L. P. Dodson. Directors: M. W. Wheeler, D. H. Wyont, J. L. Culp, J. P. Rhodes, W. J. Rust, D. A. Taylor, E. A. Collins, J. C. Cheek, W. H. Coley, John Roper, L. P. Dodson, A. R. Dodson, B. A. Denney, Jeff J. Blanks, Fred Collins.
Dr. Robert A. Clopton.
Dr. Robert A. Clopton is a graduate of the Eclectic Medical Institute, Cincinnati, O., Class of 1878. His is a local surgeon of the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, a member of the National Eclectic Medical Association, of the Tennessee State Eclectic Medical Society, and of the Medical Society of the State of Tennessee. He makes a specialty of gynecology and electro-therapeutics, and bears the reputation of a first-class practitioner.
Dr. Clopton has lived at Milan for sixteen years, having during that time demonstrated his ability as a physician and surgeon in the cure of diseases and the treatment of surgical cases.
A remarkable feature of Dr. Clopton's method of treatment of diseases is the electrical apparatus with which his room is equipped. The static electric and X-ray machine used by the Doctor in his practice is one of the most powerful in the State of Tennessee, which, together with other modern and up-to-date appliances, such as hot air apparatus, surgical devices and instruments,
PHOTO:Dr. Robert A. Clopton
costing large sums of money, would do honor to a first-class infirmary or sanitarium.
The Doctor is one of Milan's best citizens, progressive in his ideas and helpful in all movements for his town and county. He is a firm believer in prohibition and votes the abolition of the whisky traffic.
132
The Press of Milan.
The Milan Exchange.
The Milan Exchange was established by W. A. Wade in 1874. Mr. Wade was a well known newspaper man of Tennessee, having conducted the Lebanon Democrat, at Lebanon, Tenn., before coming to Gibson County.
The Exchange has been on of the leading newspapers of Gibson County since its establishment. It is the oldest newspaper in the county. The paper is still owned by the widow of Mr. Wade, Mrs. Cora M. Wade.
The editorial and business management of the Exchange is conducted by Mr. George Williamson, a nephew of Mr. Wade, and a young man of excellent literary and business ability, who is making it an influential factor in the affairs of Milan and the county of Gibson.
The Milan Hustler
was established on November 11, 1893, with James Holt, Jr., and Frank Chambers as editors. In August 1894, Beverly Williamson purchased Mr. Chambers' interest, and in 1895 he purchased Mr. Holt's interest, and since that time has been editor and owner of the paper.
The Hustler is a five-column quarto, four pages home print. It has always been a supporter of Democracy and Democratic principles.
Milan Business Directory.
Agricultural Implements and Hardware.-York & McCracken, C. A. Lacy, T. L. Harmon Hardware Company.
Banks.-People's, Milan Banking Company.
Bakeries.-E. Keiliber.
Barbers.-Taylor & Co., Ed Childress, Jesse Shankle.
Blacksmiths.-W. Dickey.
Dry Goods.-Milan Dry Goods Company, G. W. Wilson, Lacy & Kearns, R. J. Burrow, W. A. Wilson, W. B. William & Son, Threadgill & Co., A. Chambers.
Dentists.-H. K. Fink.
Drugs.-Coley Drug Company, A. M. Bingham.
Furniture.-Bodkin Brothers, York & McCracken, C. A. Lacy.
Groceries.- W. P. Williams, M. W. Wheller, J. R. Persons, Oliver & Wilson, C. A. Lacy, Carter & McCoy, W. J. Rust, Peeler & Hammond, Wallace Harlan.
Hotels.-Commercial, Southern Pacific, Woods Home.
Insurance.-Sid R. Clark, E. N. Stone, J. P. Rhodes, J. R. Harrison.
Jewelers.-Charles Howe.
Lawyers.-J. P. Rhodes, Sid R. Clark, H. M. Clark, Ed Smith.
Liverymen.-W. D. Kizer, W. C. Barham, Black & Oakley.
Laundries.-Milan Steam.
Milliners.-Miss Bessie Allington, Mrs. Clint Mathis.
Meat Markets.-E. L. Butler.
Newspapers.-Milan Hustler, Milan Exchange.
Physicians.-R. A. Clopton. A. E. Cox, B. D. Caldwell, L. G. Danner.
Produce, Feed, and Grain.-Pittman & Williams, W. C. Barham, T. C. Mathis.
Restaurants-Wallace Harlan, Martha Richardson, colored.
Saddlery.-W. C. Barham, York & McCracken.
Shoes.-Charles Kastner.
Shoemakers.-Alf Doak.
Undertakers.-York & McCracken, Bodkin Brothers.
Manufacturing Plants.-Todd & Roper, shooks and staves; Milan Pea Thresher Manufacturing Company; W. L. Patrick, lumber; W. J. & J. A. Keaton, McDonald & Co., staves; Milan Milling Company.
Post Offices In Gibson County.
There are thirty-four post offices in the county, as follows: Trenton, Humboldt, Milan, Dyer, Rutherford, Fruitland, Cedar, Gibson, West, Hollyleaf, Gann, Cades, Idlewild, Bradford, Skullbone, Clareville, Edmunds, Laneview, Knightville, Newell, Tyson, Yorkville, Neboville, Hooten, Fairview, Eaton, Brazil, Lex, Gibson Wells, Ava, Grizzard, Medina, Lonoke, and Currie.
PAGE 133
Brazil.
The village of Brazil is situated in the Fifth Civil District, about nine miles southwest of Trenton. The place was settled about 1867 or 1868. W. W. Simmons and W. S. Hartsfield established a general store here at that time, which induced others to establish themselves in different branches of trade and business, and the place gradually became a considerable center of trade.
The country around Brazil is well adapted to general farming, some of the land being
PHOTO:Methodist Church, Brazil.
ver productive. The farmers in the neighborhood cultivate a variety of crops, and are generally prosperous. There are two churches in the town, Methodist and Presbyterian. The Methodist people have a very handsome new frame church, and the Presbyterians are preparing to build a new house of worship. There are no resident pastors in the village. Rev. W. J. Naylor, of Trenton, preaches one Sunday and night each month for the Methodists, and Rev. R. I. Long preaches once a month for the Presbyterians. Both congregations are prosperous and growing. The Methodist Church has a membership of fifty-seven and a Sunday school of eighty-five pupils. Dr. W. F. Mathews is superintendent of the Sunday school. The Presbyterians number about sixty.
The Methodists have a strong church at Bower's Chapel, two miles west of Brazil. This church has 125 members, served by W. J. Naylor once a month.
The school at Brazil is graded, and has an enrollment of 240 pupils. Under the management of Prof. E. L. Boone it has acquired a good reputation for efficiency.
Some of the oldest residents of Brazil are: W. B. Howse, B. M. Dodd, and W. S. Hartsfield.
The firm of Howse & Ragan, composed of W. W. Howse and Bennett Ragan, operates the largest mercantile business in Brazil. This firm carries a stock of general merchandise aggregating $10,000 in value. The have a large trade.
Other firms, all of whom do more or less business, are: Ragan & Banks, Mrs. G. W. Dabney (general stores).
Parkinson & Brassfield operate a steam roller mill of forty-barrel capacity. This firm also operates a sawmill and cotton gin.
Albert Adcock and Harrison & Lane are general blacksmiths and repairers.
The physicians of Brazil are: Dr. Albert Brassfield and Dr. W. F. Mathews.
Joe R. Thompson.
Joe R. Thompson is a native of Rutherford County, Tenn., and was born on a farm in 1851. When quite young he moved with his father's family to Gibson County, Tenn., in which county he has since resided, most of the time on a farm near the little town of Brazil. He has a classical education, and is well read in history, politics, and literature. He was educated for a lawyer, and has a license to practice in all the courts of the State; but for reasons satisfactory to himself he has never engaged in the active practice of his profession, being content to remain a practical farmer, as he was raised.
He is a member of the Methodist Church,. and a strong advocate of, and active worker
PAGE 134
PHOTO:Front View Of Howse & Ragan's General Store.
in the Sunday school. In politics he is a Democrat, and has done his party and his friends good service. He has never sought office, though often solicited by his friends to do so, rather desiring to remain in the ranks and work for his friends. He may yet, however, he heard from on the hustings and ir. the arena of public affairs.
He has the elements of a orator; and had he entered the active practice of the law and into the political field, he would have risen, no doubt, to distinction.
PHOTO:Joe. R. Thompson
At present and for several years he has been an acting justice of the peace for the Fifth Civil District of his county; and as a member of the County Court he stands well to the front, taking an active and leading part in public question, and representing his district and people on the floor of the court with credit and honor.
Dr. W. F. Mathews.
Dr. Mathews is a native Tennessean, having been born in Williamson County, near Franklin, on January 11, 1855. He was brought up on a farm, and received his pri-
PHOTO:Residence of Dr. Albert Brassfield.
PAGE 135
mary education in the common schools and an academic education at Hardeman Academy. He studied medicine, and graduated at Vanderbilt University in 1880, and entered active practice at McKenzie, Tenn., the same year. He practiced six years at that point, and then removed to Brazil, his present home, in 1886.
In 1887 he married Miss Fannie B. Howse, daughter of one of the pioneer and prominent families of Gibson County.
The Doctor has built up a large practice in the neighborhood of his home, and so far as the material things of life are concerned, he has been eminently prosperous.
He has a pleasant home and pleasant home surroundings and happy domestic relations. He has two promising boys, Edward C. and Lonnie F., now attending school and preparing for useful men.
The Doctor and his wife are prominent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, at Brazil, and the Doctor is superintendent of the Sunday school, which is in a most prosperous condition under his management and supervision. He and his family stand high in the social world, and have the universal respect and esteem of the entire community.
YORKVILLE AND ITS NEIGHBORHOOD.
This flourishing village is situated in the Eight Civil District of the county, about ten miles west of Dyer. It is one of the oldest-settled places in the county, and its neighborhood witnessed the first permanent church organizations in the county. The Cumberland Presbyterians had an organization here as far back as 1825. The Baptists and Methodists also were early in this field with church organizations.
The village itself was probably located about 1826. It is a sort of tradition that the first settler and founder of Yorkville was a man named Kuykendall, who set up a store which proved the nucleus of a town. At any rate, the town of to-day is quite a business and social center, and is surrounded by a most excellent farming country and community.
It has two churches and a well-conducted
PHOTO:Dr. W. F. Mathews and Family
free school, with an enrollment of 185 pupils. Camp meetings were held for many years by the Cumberland Presbyterians on the site of the town, and the present Cumberland Presbyterian Church stands on a portion of the old camp ground. Many of the older inhabitants of the Yorkville neighborhood remember the stirring scenes of old camp-meeting times. The last camp meeting was held about 1850.
The Yorkville neighborhood is distinguished for the sobriety and moral tone of its people. There is no saloon in the town or neighborhood.
PAGE136
General variety stores are conducted by the following firms: H. E. Wilson, J. A. Wherry, F. M. Pipkin, and L. N. Pipkin; Claud Bone, dealer in drugs and medicines; Alvin Dolin and S. M. Pipkin, groceries; Inman Brothers, hardware and farm implements. Inman Brothers also operate a sawmill and planing mill and cotton gin. May & Hammond are blacksmiths and woodworkers.
In and around Yorkville there are six flourishing churches. In Yorkville are the Cumberland Presbyterian and Christian Churches. One mile south is Bethel Baptist Church. Nebo (Methodist) is three and one-half miles south; Hopewell (Methodist) is two and one-half miles east; and four miles in the same direction is Bell's Chapel, a Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The same denomination has another church one and one-half miles north.
The farming interests of the section are well advanced. The lands are productive, and, for the most part, the farmers are prosperous. Without disparagement to others, I mention a number of gentlemen I met who are prominent as farmers and many of whom are old citizens of the community: R. G. Scott, J. K. P. Hale, T. J. Cooper, D. A. Ramsey; W. H., J. T., and S. A. Bradley; J. D., R. L., and S. J. Overall; A. H. Sanford, H. Banks, N. B. Walters, E. C. Womble, G. B. and L. T. Holland, J. W. Pierce, W. F. Pierce, J. A. Skipper, W. T. Davis, R. F. Pique, J. C. and J. T. Carlton, Howard Huie, S. B. and L. M. Logan, and Joe S. McCorkle.
The principal crops raised in the Eighth District are wheat and corn. But little cotton is produced. Vegetables and grasses are cultivated to a considerable extent. A good deal of attention is paid to stock raising, and there is a good annual product of horses, mules, cattle, and hogs. In a word, it may be said of the Eighth District generally that it is well up in agricultural progress.
H. L. Wyatt.
H. L. Wyatt, one of the magistrates of the Eighth District, has been a resident of the village of Yorkville since 1858. His long residence in the community and the interest he has taken in public affairs has given him prominence in the community. In addition to his duties as magistrate, he officiates as a notary public. He also carries on successfully the farming business. Mr. Wyatt is a
PHOTO:W. L. Wyatt
leading member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and is a zealous promoter of the religious and educational interests of his town and neighborhood. He is a man of upright character and sober habits. He is a strong advocate of the cause of temperance, and practices what he preaches, never having used intoxicants or tobacco in his life.
RUTHERFORD.
The town of Rutherford, in the Ninth District, was located in about 1857. The contiguous farming section in the Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Nineteenth, and Twenty-first Districts, consisting of fine producing land, has made it a place of considerable trade. The town was incorporated in about 1866.
Two years ago the town got rid of its saloon incubus, and is now one of the most orderly places in the county. There are three good churches, with prosperous congregations and Sabbath schools. They are the Methodists, Baptists, and Cumberland Presbyterians. There are also three colored churches of the same denominations.
The town has a good school, in which the
PAGE 137
statutory branches are taught, with two additional grades. H. H. Ellis is the principal of the school, with Mrs. Ellis and Miss Threlkeld as assistants. Miss Jessie Bittick is the music teacher. Miss Gentry Ward is assistant in the primary department. The school enrollment is 235.
The town government is as follows:
Mayor, A. H. Taylor.
Recorder, Wright McDaniel.
Marshal, W. H. Worrel.
Aldermen: P. H. Northan, W. T. H. Thorne, M. Peel, G. M. Savage, and J. E. Kyzer.
Rutherford Business Directory.
Physicians.-J. B. Rickman, J. W. Allen, J. W. Daniel.
General Stores, Dry Goods, etc.-Northan & McDaniel, M. Peel, F. W. E. Flowers, and Haguewood, Kennedy & Elrod.
Groceries, Hardware, and Saddlery.-Davidson & Conlee.
Groceries.-Courtney & Glisson, Arnold & Thomas, J. C. Holmes.
Confectioneries.-Savage & Stubblefield.
Drugs.-M. A. Terry, R. E. Armstrong, R. B. Tinkle.
Hotels.-Commercial Hotel.
Banks.-The Bank of Rutherford.
Roller Mills.-The Rutherford Milling Company.
Planing Mills.-Davidson & Conlee.
Blacksmiths and Woodworkers.-N. L. Davis.
The Masons have a lodge, of which J. W. C. Fain is Worshipful Master and W. P. McCullum is Secretary.
Leonidas Lodge, Knights of Pythias, with a membership of forty, is located here.
The Odd Fellows (Rutherford Lodge, No. 120), with a membership of twenty, is located in Rutherford.
J. W. Boyett operates a store and farm about seven miles out from Rutherford, at Tyson Post Office, in the Twenty-fourth District. F. B. Boyett is postmaster at this point.
The Bank of Rutherford
was organized in 1898 under the general laws of the State. The following are its officers: W. P. Elrod, president; J. E. Kyzer, vice president; Luther Porter, cashier.
Rutherford Milling Company,
organized in February, 1900, is an extensive manufacturing establishment, with a capacity of 100 barrels of flour per day. H. C. Hopper, president; A. H. Taylor, vice president; W. D. Hopper, secretary.
J. E. Kyzer.
Mr. Kyzer is a native of South Carolina. He came to Gibson County in January, 1859, and began business in general merchandising at Rutherford, at that time a new station on the Mobile and Ohio Railroad. The road had just been completed, and its first through passenger trains were run through the county in the spring of 1859. Mr. Kyzer continued in the general merchandise business until 1900, a period of over forty years, during that time accumulating a competency. Although industrious, frugal, and devoted to business, he never was grasping in disposition, but conducted his life and business on the live-and-let-live principle. In consequence he bears the reputation among his neighbors and in the community as a truly upright man. No better compliment could be paid him than that he is universally respected by all. He is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, of Rutherford, and is helpful in all his church relations. He is a member of the Town Council, vice president and a director in the Bank of Rutherford, the only bank in the town. Since retiring from active business he devotes his attention to the management of his farms in the neighborhood of Rutherford. His home in Rutherford is a model of convenience and comfort, and his domestic relations are of the happiest character.
NEBOVILLE AND NEIGHBORHOOD.
This little village, in the Eight District, is the seat of a splendid school, known as the Neboville High School. This school has more than a local reputation as an educational institution. In addition to the prescribed State curriculum, the full course of study embraces the higher branches of learning, so that pupils
PAGE 138
are given the benefit of a thorough academic course. The very best instructors are provided, and the school is fully equipped and systematized for imparting an education. Boarding pupils are provided for, so that an education may be obtained at the institution at very moderate cost. The school is under the management of a board of education.
PHOTO:Residence of Dr. A. E. Turner
This board is composed of the following gentlemen: Dr. A. E. Turner, secretary; A. H. Sanford, J. T. Carlton, H. Banks, N. C. Corley, R. Q. Scott, J. A. Skipper, and J. C. Carlton. The first three of these are the school directors of the district, who act in conjunction with the others in the control of the Neboville High School.
The village of Neboville is pleasantly situated in a well-improved farming country and well fitted as a location for a school. There are two general stores in the village, conducted by J. N. Tidrow and J. A. Teague & Co.
Dr. A. E. Turner, whose portrait appears on another page in connection with the county officials (being State Senator), resides in the neighborhood. Dr. Turner, in addition to his practice as a physician, carries on a large grain and stock farm, which he manages most successfully, breeding and raising Durham and Jersey cattle and thoroughbred horses. He has a beautiful home, furnished with every modern convenience obtainable in a country location. It was my good fortune to partake of the Doctor's hospitality during my visit to the Eight District. I found him to be a man energetic and pushing in business and professional affairs, but not unmindful of the graces of social life.
KENTON
is situated on the Mobile and Ohio Railroad, 60m miles south of Cairo, Ill., and 215 miles from St. Louis, Mo. The town is located partly in Gibson County and partly in Obion County. The population of Kenton is 670, according to the census returns of 1900. The principal residence portion of the town is in Gibson County, while, on account of the railroad, the business portion is mostly in Obion County.
All churches of the town are in Gibson County. The religious denominations are: Methodist, Cumberland Presbyterian, Baptist, and Christian. The Methodists have a very good brick church; the other churches have comfortable frame buildings.
The Methodists have a membership of 140, with Rev. Wilber Mooney, as pastor. Its Sunday school has 110 pupils; J. L. Fry, superintendent. The Cumberland Presbyterian Church has a membership of 150, with
PAGE 139
Rev. J. L. Dickens as pastor. Its Sunday school has 115 pupils; C. G. Tilghman, superintendent. The Baptist Church has a membership of 130, with Rev. J. W. Early as pastor. The Christian congregation has a membership of 20.
The Kenton Academy building is a large, handsome brick structure, built in 1895 on the ground upon which stood a former building, burned in 1895. A nine-months free school is maintained, with an enrollment of 200 pupils. Prof. C. A. Derryberry has charge of the school as principal, with Mrs. Belle Jones, Mrs. Susie Nooner, and Miss Jettye Page as assistants. There are ten grades taught.
The history of the town dates from the completion of the Mobile and Ohio Railroad, in 1858. The first business conducted in the place was that of a general store by C. S. Hooper & Co. But little business was done until after the war. At the present time a considerable trade is carried on in agricultural products and farming supplies.
The country about Kenton consists of fine farming lands, and the farmers are an industrious and prosperous class.
The town was first incorporated in 1874. The present corporate officers are:
Mayor, R. H. McNeely.
Recorder, W. A. Montgomery.
Aldermen: Dr. E. A. Taylor, J. N. Tull, C. R. Wade, W. H. Wilson (also Treasurer), John D. Carroll, J. A. Reeves.
Marshal, W. R. White.
School Board (Gibson County): J. W. Howell, secretary; T. M. Bogle, J. R. Carroll.
School Board (Obion County): E. P. Buchanan, chairman; J. N. Tull, J. D. Carroll.
Business Establishments of Kenton.
The town of Kenton has a very large trade in both Gibson and Obion Counties, and its business establishments are important, carrying large stocks and doing an extensive business.
Agricultural Implements and Machinery.-Clarence Bogle, C. R. Wade.
Banks.-Kenton Bank, organized in 1892; authorized capital, $50,000; paid in, $30,000. President, G. P. Hurt; vice president, W. F. Collins; cashier, Wade Howell. Directors: C. R. Wade, T. M. Bogle, W. A. White, M. E. Watts, W. F. Collins, and G. W. Reed. People's Bank, organized in 1901; capital paid, $20,000. President, John R. Carroll; vice president, Henry Flowers; cashier, G. W. Reed; assistant cashier, Hal J. Ramer. Directors: R. C. Tilghman, Dr. E. A. Taylor. Sol Shatz, J. B. Layne, Henry Flowers, and G. W. Reed.
PHOTO:Residence Of C. R. Wade, One Of The Leading Merchants Of Kenton.
Barbers.-J. F. Eddelman.
Blacksmiths.-A. Warts, T. W. Hall.
Carpenters and Builders.-H. Seever, Frank Summers, J. A. Harrison.
Cotton Gins.-Wade & Wade.
Dry Goods.-D. A. Pate, Kenton Stock Company, Gentry Reynolds, T. W. Jones, Shatz & Co., Watkins & Wade, J. L. Bingham.
Dentists.-L. E. Taylor, C. C. Powell.
CONTINUE