Callahan

Surname:
Callahan
Type:
Biographical sketch
Location:
Shelby County, TN

The Goodspeed Publishing Co., History of Tennessee, 1887
Biographical Sketches, Shelby County TN

    C Surnames

P. Callahan & Co., plumbers, gas-fitters, etc., are located at 217 Second Street, Memphis.

Mr. Callahan, the principal member of the firm, is a native of Ireland, and immigrated to

the United States with his parents when but an infant. He is the son of John and Mary

(Sweeney) Callahan, and came to this city in 1859, serving for three years as an

apprentice with Kennedy & Smith. He worked at his trade in St. Louis, and in 1878 returned

to this city, where he established his present business. In 1876 he married Mary Gloreing,

who died in 1880, leaving three children. In 1883 Mr. Callahan married Mary Gallager, of

Memphis, and this union resulted in the birth of one child. Our subject and family are

members of the Catholic Church.

Rev. John B.Canada, a talented minister of the Missionary Baptist Church, was born in

Halifax County, Va., June 19, 1817.  His parents were Willis C, and Annie (Wilkes) Canada,

and were also natives of the above named country and were married in Virginia in 1814.

They were of Irish and English descent. Our subject was the second child of a family of

five sons and a daughter.  The father enlisted in the War of 1812, and was stationed at

Norfolk, Va.  He was a farmer and died in his native country in 1843. Our subject was

reared on a farm, receiving a limited education.  In 1843 he became a licensed preacher in

the Missionary Baptist Church, but realizing the necessity of a more thorough education he

devoted the next six years to earnest study. The first three years were passed at Botatott

Seminary and the last three in the Columbian College, at Washington, D.C., where he

graduated with high honors. December 1,1849, he went to Memphis, Tenn., and in 1850 was an

ordained minister. Mr. Canada has been an earnest and conscientious minister and has bean

rewarded with great success in his work. He has preached to the congregation at Bartlett,

Tenn., for twenty-four years, and Beaver Creek Church nineteen years, and to other

churches from ten to fifteen years.  He was married at Germantown, October 17,1850, to Miss

C. J. Dennis, daughter of J. S. Dennis, a merchant and a native of Maryland.  Ten children

have blessed the union, seven of them living. Mrs. Canada was born in Baltimore, Md.,

September 15, 1831. Mr. Canada is a Democrat and a prominent Mason.  His wife and most of

the children are members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Canada owns 376 acres of land in

Fayette County and 150 acres six miles south of Memphis.  He resides in Collierville, where

he is loved and esteemed as a true Christian and a cultured gentleman.

Squire Henry E. Cannon was born in Wake County, N, C., July 5, 1840, and is a son of Henry

J. Cannon, who was born in North Carolina and moved to Tennessee in 1843, settling near

Somerville, Fayette County.  He was a graduate of Chapel Hill College, North Carolina, and

was licensed to practice law, but preferred farming to the legal profession. He was a

well-read man, especially upon agriculture, and a member of the Agricultural Bureau of the

State, and president of the district fair, which included Fayette County. Before leaving

North Carolina he married Miss Sarah P. Peebles, a native of that State and educated at

Raleigh. Five sons and two daughters were born to them, six living to be grown. Our

subject was the second child. The father moved to Memphis in 1860, where he remained until

his death, in the fall of 1861. Henry E. Cannon was raised and educated on the farm. He

enlisted in the Confederate Army in May, 1861, in the Seventh Tennessee Cavalry, under

Col. W. H. Jackson, and was at the battle of Corinth, Miss., and on the retreat from

Dalton to Atlanta, being wounded while scouting around Lost Mountain, and was disabled for

six weeks. He served through the entire war, and was surrendered near Gainesville, Ala.

Mr. Cannon was married at St. Mary's Church in Memphis, October 29, 1872, to Miss Susie

Virginia Devereaux Dunlap, daughter of Devereaux and S. Virginia (Ragland) Dunlap. The

issue of this marriage was Sarah Virginia, Susie Dunlap, Henry Hugh, Mary Dunlap,

Elizabeth Love, Charles Devereaux Dunlap and Robert Dudley. Susie D. and Elizabeth Love

both died.  The mother of this family was born in Shelby County, Tenn., January 20, 1855.

Mr. Cannon is a democrat and a Mason, and himself and family are members of the Episcopal

Church. He has 3,000 acre's of land, 1,280 acres in Louisiana 1,100 in Washington County,

Miss., 80 in Arkansas, and the rest in Shelby County, six miles southeast of Memphis. Mrs.

S. Virginia Dunlap, the mother-in-law of our subject and a co-subject of this sketch, was

born in the suburbs of Memphis, April 14, 1832.  Her father, Dr. Nathaniel Ragland, who was

the first druggist of Memphis, was born in Virginia, and moved to Kentucky in 1816. He was

a well-informed man, with a strong mind and unbending character, with clear judgment and

strict integrity.  He was married in Louisville, Ky., to Miss Elizabeth Love, daughter of

Matthew Love, a native of Pennsylvania. Mrs. Dunlap was married in 1853, near the present

home, to Devereaux Dunlap, son of Gen. Hugh W. Dunlap, a prominent and well known citizen

of Tennessee, and twin brother to Hon. W. C. Dunlap, who served on the supreme bench and

was a member of Congress for a number of years.  Charles Devereaux Dunlap was educated in

Kentucky and at La Grange, Ala., and died when still a young man on his plantation in

Madison Parish, La., September 16, 1855. Dr. Ragland's family consisted of three daughters

and one son: Louisa A. (Anderson), now living in Texas; M.E. (Rambert), residing in the

suburbs of Memphis, and our co-subject, Mrs. Dunlap, and Edward D., a soldier in the late

war and a graduate of the law department at Lebanon, Tenn., who is at resent a planter in

Lee County,, Ark.

William D. Cannon, sheriff of Shelby County, was born in Fayette County, Tenn., April 29,

1843, and is the son of Henry J. and Sarah S. (Peebles) Cannon, both parents being natives

of North Carolina.  His father came to Tennessee in 1843, and located in Fayette County,

where he very successfully followed agricultural pursuits. He was an exemplary citizen,

and in 1861 moved to Memphis, where he died in January, 1862.  Early in life he had

prepared himself for the practice of law, but relinquished it for the life of a planter,

which pursuit better suited his tastes.  He was active and prominent in politics, but was

not an aspirant for office, and on one occasion refused the nomination to Congress.

William D. passed his youth without noteworthy event, and in 1861 came with his parents to

Memphis.  He entered the Confederate service in 1865, and continued to serve until the

final surrender.  After the war he followed agricultural pursuits in Shelby County until

1870, when he was elected constable of the Eighteenth Civil District.  He served thus until

September, 1874, when he became a deputy sheriff under Charles Anderson.  He served as

deputy eight years, and was then (April, 1882) elected sheriff to fill the vacancy caused

by the death of Sheriff Athy. At the general election of 1884 he was elected sheriff by

the largest vote east for any one on the ticket.  He is one of the most popular sheriffs

the county has ever had.  Early in the seventies, while farming, he served two terms as

Master of Melrose Lodge, P, of H. August 1, 1870, he was united in marriage with M.

Florence Jackson, a native of Fayette County, and by her is the father of four children-

two sons and two daughters.  He is a Knight Templar of the Masonic Order; is a member of

the K, of P. and the K, of H. In 1886 he was nominated by acclamation by the local

Democracy, and was supported by the Republicans for the office of sheriff, and was elected

by a handsome majority, a noticeable endorsement of his popularity.

Richard S. Capers, Clerk of the Shelby County Criminal Court, was born in Haywood County,

Tenn., June 21, 1847, and is the son of Benjamin H. and Rebecca J. (Greaves) Capers, both

parents being natives of Abbeville District, S.C.   In January, 1850, Richard S. was

brought by his parents to Memphis, and in this city he was reared to manhood.  His

education was finished at St. Thomas Hall, Holly Springs, Miss., and at Urnes College,

Clinton, Miss.  Upon the breaking out of the war in 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate

service, but was discharged on account of his youth; but in 1863 be again enlisted in

Company F, Forrest's old regiment of cavalry, and served faithfully until the close of the

war as a private.  In May, 1865, he accepted a position as deputy clerk of the criminal

court, which position he held continuously through all the various official changes of

this court until August, 1886, when he was rewarded for his long and faithful execution of

court duties by election to the position he now holds.  He is recognized as a

conscientious, trustworthy and obliging officer, and is one of the substantial citizens of

Memphis. February 3, 1883, he was united in marriage with Miss Alice J. Tapscott, of

Marshall Institute, Mississippi. The issue of this marriage is one son, Richard T. He is a

member of the orders, K.of P. and Commander of Progress Division.

A. T. Chambers, an influential citizen of Shelby County, was born in Virginia, and in 1854

went to Texas, where he was engaged in farming and stock raising until 1860. He then came

to Tennessee, and in 186l enlisted in the Fourth Tennessee Regiment Infantry as a private,

but upon the reorganization in 1863 he was elected third lieutenant, which office he

filled until the close of the war, receiving his parole at Greensboro, N. C., in April,

1865.  He then returned to Tennessee and located in Shelby County, and has been identified

with the best interests of the people up to the present time. His parents, J.P. and

Rebecca (Farro) Chambers, were living in Virginia at the time of their death which

occurred about 1846 and 1880, the mother dying first.  In 1867 our subject married Mrs.

Henrietta (Polk) Bolten, widow of Leonidas Bolten.  Two children were born to her first

marriage, and six were born to her union with our subject.  In 1867 Mr. Chambers located on

his present farm, and has tilled it up to the present time.  The Chambers family are

originally of Scotch lineage, and have made honorable, law abiding citizens.   Mr. Chambers

is a Democrat in politics, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church

South.

Maj. John A. Cheatham was born in Davidson County, in the suburbs of Nashville, June 6,

1826, and was a son of Col. Leonard P. Cheatham, a soldier with Jackson in the war of

1812, and a native of Virginia.  He came to Tennessee at an early age.  The Cheatham family

were among the earliest settlers of Robertson County, and were recognized as leading men

in that part of the State. Anderson Cheatham, the grandfather of our subject, was sheriff

of Robertson County, and instrumental in forming the society and establishing the

civilization of that locality.  Gen. Richard Cheatham, who represented that district in the

Legislature for a number of years, and was also a member of Congress, and Col. Edward

Cheatham, who had been a member of both houses of the Legislature, and for whom the county

of Cheatham was named, and who did a great deal toward the construction of the Nashville &

Edgefield Railroad, were numbered among the prominent members of the Cheatham family.  The

present member of Congress from that district, Hon. Joseph E. Washington, is a descendant

of the Cheatham family; his father, the Hon. George A. Washington,  formerly vice-president

of the Louisville & Nashville Railroad, and one of the wealthiest and most prominent

citizens of the State, was descended from the Cheathams on the mother's side.   The father

of our subject married Elizabeth Robertson, a granddaughter of Gen. James Robertson, for

whom the county was named.  He was the pioneer, and the acknowledged leader of the colony

that settled the locality around Nashville.  His life and virtues have been well portrayed

by Col. Putman, in his "Life of Robertson." It was from this source that the late Gen.

Cheatham, a brother of our subject, inherited his bravery during the late war, and his

ability to command.  Our subject's parents both died in Nashville, the father in March,

1863, and the mother December 23,1881.  The father was a lawyer and a politician of wide

reputation, and held the position of postmaster under president Polk.  The family consisted

of eleven children, our subject being the fifth child.  He was raised on a farm, and has

made a business of farming and merchandising.  He enlisted in the Confederate Army,

belonging to an Arkansas regiment, but was afterward transferred to Gen. Cheatham's staff,

and served from 1862 until the war closed, and was surrendered at High Point, N.C.

January 17, 1882, he was married in Memphis, at the First Methodist Episcopal Church, to

Mrs. Charlotte W. Cheatham.  Mr. Cheatham has always been a Democrat, and cast his first

presidential ,vote for Cass.  He has a beautiful home three miles from Memphis, and a fine

plantation in the Mississippi bottom, sixteen miles south of Memphis.  He is well known in

Middle and West Tennessee.

Hon. W.L. Clapp, speaker of the House of Representatives and member of the law firm of

Beard & Clapp, graduated at the University of Mississippi in 1872, after which he read law

with his father in Memphis, and was admitted to the bar in 1874.  He practiced his

profession in the firm of Clapp & Meux until 1879, when the firm of Clapp & Beard was

formed, our subject's father being senior member.  In 1883 the elder Clapp became silent

partner, and so remained until 1885, when the firm name was changed to Beard & Clapp.  The

father was a native of Abingdon, Va., and the mother, whose maiden name was Lucas, of

Sumner County, Tenn. They were married at Holly Springs, Miss., where the father practiced

law. During the war he was chief of the Produce Loan for the Confederacy, receiving his

appointment from President Davis. Since 1867 he has practiced law in Memphis.  He was

elected to the State Senate in 1878 without his knowledge that he was a candidate.  He was

several terms a member of the Mississippi Legislature, and was a member of the Confederate

Congress.  Our subject is one of nine children, four girls and four boys yet surviving. In

November, 1874, he was joined in marriage to Miss Lamira Parker, a native of this city,

who has borne her husband the following children: Jerl, Lucas, Robert, Parker and Aubrey

B. Mr. Clapp has been first lieutenant of the Chickasaw Guards since 1880, and has been

president of the Tennessee Club two years.  He was elected to the speakership of the House

in 1886-87 over some of the strongest and most popular men of the State, and presides with

exceptional skill and urbanity.

James E. Clary, chief of the Memphis fire department, is a native of Ireland, where his

birth occurred in 1845.  About a year later his father, Patrick Clary, came to the United

States and located in Memphis, and here James E. was reared to manhood.  He secured a

limited education in youth, and upon the breaking out of the war ran away from home and

school and enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Fifty-fourth Senior Tennessee

Confederate Regiment, and served as a private throughout the entire war.  Returning home he

accepted a position as a horseman in the city fire department, and has remained in this

service ever since, having filled every official position.  He was elected chief in 1881,

and in this trying and responsible position has given excellent satisfaction.  Under his

supervision the fire department is more efficient than ever before.  In 1874 Mr. Clary was

united in marriage with Miss Ellen Corbett, a native of South Carolina.  To this union are

six living children--one son and five daughters. Mr. Clary is a Democrat, and is a member

of the orders K.of I., K.of H. and A.F. & A.M., being a Knight Templar of the latter.

J. W. Cochran, president of the German Bank, and of the Panola Oil and Fertilizer Company,

of the Hanauer Oil Works, and trustee in the American Cotton Oil Trust, is a native of

Virginia and is of Irish descent, and is the son of Conley and Nancy A. (Cassady) Cochran.

The parents were natives of the "Emerald Isle." Upon coming to the United States they

first located in Virginia, but in 1844 came to Shelby County, and followed agricultural

pursuits until their respective deaths--the father in 1852 and the mother in 1847. Our

subject was born May 2, 1835, and at the age of nine years began life for himself. He

followed various occupations until his majority, then became clerk for a lumber firm of

this city. In 1860 he embarked in the oil business, the nucleus of the present oil

industry. He was treasurer and manager of this company--Memphis Oil Company--until 1875.

He has also been largely interested in oil-mills in Arkansas, and in 1883 he and others

founded the American Cotton Oil Trust, of this city, with which organization he is yet

engaged.  He was for several years one of the directors of the German Bank, and June 15,

1886, became its president.  December 20, 1886, he was united in marriage with Miss Ida C.

Williams, a native of Fayette County.  They have these children: John Knox (deceased), Ida

(deceased), ____ (deceased), and Mabel and Maggie living.

R. L. Cochran, dealer in lumber, shingles, doors, sash, blinds, packing boxes, etc., and

senior member of the firm of R.L. Cochran & Co., is a native of this city and was born in

1850. Since he began in business for himself, except two years when he was in the grocery

trade as a member of the firm of Cochran & Barton, he has been engaged in the lumber

trade. He has been quite successful in his business undertakings. In youth his education

was finished at Emory and Henry College, Virginia, and at the Kentucky Military Institute.

In 1875 he was joined in marriage to Miss Anna E. Gates, who bore him one child, Richard

L., still living.  This lady died in 1876 and in 1879 he married Mamie Taylor, who has

borne him the following children: William T., Marcus E and Henry L.  By appointment of

Gov. Bate, Mr. Cochran served an unexpired term as commissioner of Memphis. He is a member

of the board of directors of the Bank of Commerce.  He and family belong to the Methodist

Episcopal Church and he belongs to the following secret orders: F.& A.M., I.O.O.F,

and K. of H. His father, M. E. Cochran, established the lumber business here in 1844 and

controlled it until his death in 1873.  The firm then assumed its present name, the

members being R. L., C. A. and M. A. Cochran.  The parents were both natives of Virginia,

but came to this county at an early day and were here married. The mother, Sophy (Leake)

Cochran, is still living.

Joseph L. Cody was born in Alabama and came to Tennessee in October, 1867, locating in

Fayette County, but subsequently in 1874 came to Shelby County.  His parents, Miles F. and

Minerva Cody, were natives of Tennessee and Mississippi respectively. The father was a

farmer by occupation and resides in Marion County, Ala.  The mother died in 1862. In 1865

the father married Jane Duke.  In 1861 our subject enlisted in the Confederate service,

Sixteenth Alabama Regiment, Infantry, and remained in service until the battle of

Murfreesboro, which rendered him unfit for duty for about three months.  He again returned

to the army and was the second time wounded at the battle of Shiloh, which disabled him

about two months.  After recovering he again joined the army, and in 1864 was commissioned

captain in Col. Hetherington's regiment.  In 1865 he was again wounded, while in battle

near Mobile, Ala., and this disabled him from active duty the remainder of the war. He was

paroled at Columbus, Miss., in May, 1865.  In January, 1868, he married Harriet A. Cody,

of Fayette County, and daughter of Thomas and Jane (Thomas) Cody.  Four children have

blessed this union, three of whom are living: Maude, Ola and Elsie.  Mr. Cody resides in

the village of Arlington and is engaged in farming and running a cotton-gin.  He is a Mason

and a K.of H.

A. E. Cole, of the firm of Hughes & Cole, dealers in staple and fancy, groceries, general

merchandise, and who established their business in 1880, is a native of Shelby County and

the son if Winfield and Frances A. (Massey) Cole, both natives of Virginia.  After living a

few years in Alabama they came to Shelby County, where the father followed agricultural

pursuits until his death in 1860.  The mother, too, passed away in 1877.  Mr. Cole, the

junior member of the firm, was reared on a farm and followed agricultural pursuits until

1874, when he was elected constable of the First District of this county, which office he

held for six years.  One year previous to the time he engaged in his present business, he

was employed as traveling salesman for J.R. Godwin & Co., of Memphis. In 1871 he married

Mattie Douglas, of this county, and the daughter of G.L. and J. Douglas.  Five children

blessed this union, four of whom are living. Mr. Cole is a member of the K.of H.F.M.

Hughes, the senior member of this firm, is a native of Lincoln County, Tenn., and the son

of Joshua and Temperence (Gunter) Hughes, both natives of North Carolina.  They came to

Tennessee about 1825 and here the father followed the occupation of a farmer.  He died in

1878 in his eighty-first, year, and the mother preceded him in death about two weeks. Our

subject's father, mother, sister and brother-in-law, all died in the same house within two

weeks time.  F.M. Hughes was reared on a farm and followed agricultural pursuits until

about five years since.  He came to Shelby County with his parents about 1854.  In 1861 he

enlisted in the Confederate service, Ninth Tennessee Regiment Infantry, and remained until

the close of the war.  He was twice taken prisoner, and after being released the second

time was attached to Forrest's cavalry.  In 1863 he married M. E. Stewart, of this county,

and daughter of James T. and Mary Stewart.  Two children were born to this union: Luna May

and Emma Grace.  Our subject's eldest daughter is a graduate in music, and in November,

1884, she married J. L. Mercer, of Memphis.  They have one child--Mary Grace. Mr. Hughes

has been interested in the mercantile business most of the time since the war. He has

taken all the degrees in Masonry, including the Chapter degree, and is also a member of

the K.of H.

James M. Coleman, justice of the peace, notary public, and commissioner of deeds, is a

native of Louisiana and was born September 14, 1830, to the marriage of Daniel Coleman and

Amelia Stutts, natives respectively of Georgia and Louisiana.  The father, Daniel Coleman,

a skillful physician, came with his family, in 1836, to Tennessee, locating at Raleigh,

this county, where he practiced his profession until his death in 1871.  It was here that

our subject was reared and educated.  Upon reaching manhood he engaged in mercantile

pursuits, continuing until 1874, when he was elected justice of the peace for the Sixth

District and opened his office in Memphis, and has occupied this position by re-election

until the present. Squire Coleman was formerly an old line Whig, but for many years has

been a stanch Democrat, and has taken an active part in local politics, having served as

chairman of the Shelby County Democratic Central Committee, as coroner of the county, as

chairman of the poor-house committee eight years, during which last official term he was

instrumental in securing the erection of the present poor-buildings.  June 1,1851, he

married Miss Susan Bayless, a native of this county, and to this union there are two

living sons: George B., deputy register of the county, and James M., deputy sheriff. He

was appointed coal oil inspector of Shelby County by Gov. Robert L. Taylor.

Capt. Charles H. Collier, superintendent of the Memphis public schools, is the son of C.

Miles and Sarah (Cowles) Collier, both of whom were born, reared and married near Fortress

Monroe.  In early life the father war an officer of "the line" in the United States Navy

and afterward a mail contractor for eastern Virginia.  His family consisted of four sons,

who took active parts in the late war and at its termination returned home without

receiving any wounds or being imprisoned.  Two were in the army, one a surgeon, the other a

captain.  The other two were in the navy, one a midshipman and our subject an engineer.  He

was a native Virginian, born August 25, 1846 and educated in the Hampton Military School.

After finishing there he began to prepare himself for the United States naval service, but

the war broke out about this time and he enlisted in a company known as Wythe Rifles.

After serving a year as private he was transferred to a naval engineer corps, where he

remained until the close of the war, principally under Dozier, Rochell and Tucker.  In

1871 he came to Memphis and engaged as assistant teacher in the Memphis High School. He

was afterward principal of Market Street and Linden Street schools.  In 1875 he married

Evelin Belcher, who lived only four Months. In 1879 he wedded Julia Bingham, by whom he

had four children, three of whom are now living.  Our subject is a member of the Episcopal

Church, as his parents were before him.  In 1880 he was chosen superintendent of the public

schools, which position he is now holding.  The schools are well organized and in fine

working order.

A.M. Cooke, assistant general manager of the Louisville, New Orleans & Texas Railroad,

was born in Virginia, October 17, 1850, and received his education at the Virginia

Military Institute. He was, for some time, connected with the freight department of the

Atlantic, Mississippi & Ohio Railroad, and after the consolidation of the express

department he was also connected with that.  In 1885 he became purchasing agent for the

road with which he is now associated, and in 1886 was promoted to the position he is now

occupying.  He is one of Shelby County's best citizens and a wide awake business man.

L.P. Cooper, a member of the law firm of Craft & Cooper, of Memphis, Tenn., was born in

Rutherford County, Tenn., January 8, 1830. His father, M.T. Cooper, moved to Bedford

County when he was a small boy, where he grew to manhood and lived until he moved to

Panola County, Miss., in 1857.  He was educated at Union University, Murfreesboro, Tenn.,

from which he graduated in 1852.  After graduating he was engaged in the business of

teaching until 1856.  In 1857 he attended the law school at Lebanon one session of five

months.  In the fall of 1857 he moved to Panola County, Miss., where he was engaged in the

business of planting until the spring of 1862, when he entered in the Confederate Army as

a private in the Forty-second Mississippi Regiment. Soon after he enlisted his regiment

was ordered to Virginia.  After the regiment arrived at Richmond he was made quartermaster

of the regiment with the rank of captain.  Late in the war regimental quartermasters were

abolished.  He, however, was retained as assistant brigade quartermaster and assigned to

duty under Maj. Reid, quartermaster of Davis' brigade, in which capacity he served until

the close of the war.  For several months before the surrender he was acting brigade

quartermaster. After the surrender he returned to his home in Mississippi.  In August,

1865, he was elected as a delegate from Panola County to the constitutional Convention of

Mississippi, called by President Johnson, to amend and remodel the constitution so as to

adapt it to the new condition of things.  After the adjournment of this convention he

returned to his home and commenced the practice of law in the town of Panola.  In 1871 the

county site was moved to Sardis, to which place he moved and continued the practice of law

there until he moved to Memphis, in 1874.  There he practiced alone until 1878, when he

formed a partnership with Judge Craft, the senior of the present firm.  His father, M.T.

Cooper, was born in Rowan County, N.C., in 1806. Henry Cooper, the father of M.T.,

moved to what was then Rutherford, now Cannon County, in 1816. In 1828 M. T. Cooper was

married to Miss Sallie A. Vincent, daughter of Henry Vincent, Esq., of Rutherford County.

Of this marriage there were born thirteen children, six of whom are living.  When the

subject of this sketch was a small boy his father moved to Bedford County, where he grew

up to manhood and lived until he moved to Mississippi.  His father was a farmer and

merchant and did considerable business in trading in produce and stock. L. P. was married

January 24, 1854, to Miss Pauline H. Scales, daughter of Robert Scales, of Davidson

County, Tenn.  Six children were born of this marriage, three of whom are living--one

daughter and two sons.  He lost his first wife April 10, 1864, and was married to his

second wife, Miss Cornelia Battle, a native of Shelby County, on the 10th of December,

1868.  She is the daughter of the late William Battle, Esq., of Shelby County, who was

originally from North Carolina, and who settled in Shelby County in 1830. L.P. Cooper

and his wife are both members of the Central Baptist Church, of Memphis, and he is a

Democrat.

Henry Craft, one of the oldest members of the Memphis bar, obtained his literary education

at Oglethorpe University, Milledgville, Ga., completing the same in 1839.  He then followed

various occupations and in 1847 began the study of law at Holly Springs, Miss., with Hon.

J.W.C. Watson.  He attended law school at Princeton, New Jersey.  He was admitted to the

bar in 1848, in Holly Springs, Miss., and practiced his profession there ten years as a

member of the firm of Watson & Craft. In 1858 he came to Memphis, where he has since

resided.  In 1862 he enlisted in the Confederate service and was a member of Gen. Chalmer's

staff until his health failed.  He has since practiced law, part of the time alone, and

then as a member of the firm of Kortrecht & Craft, until 1873, and of Kortrecht, Craft &

Scales until 1875.  The present firm of Craft & Cooper was formed in 1878. His father, Hugh

Craft, was born on the eastern shore of Maryland, in 1799, and his mother, whose maiden

name was Mary E. Pitts, was born in North Carolina, in 1799. They married in Georgia, in

1819, and his father was a merchant there, residing first in Milledgeville and afterward

in Macon until 1839.   The family moved to Holly Springs, Miss., in 1839, and his father was

land agent there until his death in 1867.  His mother had died in 1826, and his father had

married Martha Cheney in South Carolina, who soon died, and he married Elizabeth R.

Collier, who bore him three sons and five daughters.  This lady's death occurred in 1877.

Our subject was one of two sons and three daughters of the first wife and was born April

8, 1823, at Milledgeville, Ga. In 1856 he married Miss Ella D. Boddie, daughter of Elijah

Boddie, of Sumner County, Tenn.  She has born him the following children: Alfred D., born

1858, died 1884; Mary F., born 1861, died 1885; Henry, born 1866; Charles K., born 1868,

died 1873; Paul, born 1870; Hugh, born 1874.  Mr. Craft is a Democrat and himself and wife

are members of the Presbyterian Church.

Richard G. Craig, wholesale agricultural implement and seed merchant, of Memphis, is a

native of Hamilton County, Ohio, and was born in 1837.  He was there reared and educated

and came South and located in Memphis in 1860, engaging in his present business on a

limited scale.  He has continued the same to the present time, and now has the largest

establishment of the kind in the city or in the South.  He has been largely instrumental in

inducing the farming community to use more modern and improved agricultural implements, to

diversify their crops and to restore worn-out farms.  He is president of the Memphis

Fertilizing Company, the business of which was established in 1882.  Mr. Craig is a

conservative Democrat, is a Mason, a member of the Baptist Church, and is recognized as

one of the most reliable and well-informed citizens, in agriculture, of the city.  In 1858

he married Miss Sallie L. Bruce, of Ohio, and by her has three living children, two being

sons.

Thomas B. Crenshaw, deputy county court clerk, is a native of this county and was born

September 12, 1848, to the marriage of Thomas B. Crenshaw, Sr., and Miss Grace Booker,

both natives of the "Old Dominion."  The father came to this county in 1836 and located in

the Ninth Civil District, where he conducted a plantation until his death in 1866.  He was

magistrate of that district twenty-seven consecutive years, and was one of the most useful

and substantial citizens of the county.  Our subject was reared on his father's plantation

and was there educated.  He followed agricultural pursuits until 1878, when he was elected

clerk of the circuit court at Bartlett, this county, which position he filled in a highly

creditable manner.  In 1885 the court was abolished, and he was then employed as bookkeeper

at the same place, continuing until September, 1886, when he accepted his present

responsible position under P.J. Quigley.  He is a Democrat, and was candidate for the

nomination for county register in 1886.  He is a member of the K.of H. and is one of the

rising young men of the city.

Mrs. E. J. Crockett, principal of the Memphis High School, is a daughter of Edward and

Eliza (Johnson ) Belcher.  The father was a native of Boston, Mass., and the mother a

native of Alabama.  From Boston the father went to Virginia, and finally came to West

Tennessee, locating at Bolivar, where he became distinguished as a lawyer.  After marriage

they lived at Bolivar a short time and then went to Oxford, Miss., where they made their

permanent home.  Both were active members of the Episcopal Church.  Their family consisted

of seven children--three sons and four daughters.  Two of the boys chose the profession of

their father.  After an active, useful life the father died, but the mother, is now

residing in Memphis. Our subject was born at Bolivar, Tenn. but received her education at

Oxford, Miss., graduating from the female seminary.  In 1862 she and William H. Crockett

were married.  During the late war he fought bravely for the Southern cause, being a stall

officer of Gen. Hindman.  At the battle of Shiloh he was severely wounded, from the effects

of which he never recovered.  To this union were born three children, only one of them now

living.  This one, Elsie B. Crockett, is a member of the high school and partakes of her

mother's love for books and learning.  After the death of her husband Mrs. Crockett began

teaching, and after assisting in the Memphis High School a time assumed the principalship

of the same in 1875, and has filled that position ably ever since . She is a member of the

Episcopal Church, as was her husband.

William R. Cross is a native of Cross County, Ark., where he was born August 12, 1854.  His

father, Col. David C. Cross, after whom our subject's native county was named, came to

Memphis in 1866, but died in Arkansas, in 1874.  Our subject finished his education at the

University of Mississippi, and in 1874 engaged in the mercantile business at Bartlett,

this county, and has since conducted the same enterprise.  In 1882 he was elected a justice

of the peace and yet retains that position.  He is an able and conscientious officer, and

has the highest confidence of the public.  In August, 1884, he accepted his present

position as clerk to the chairman of the county court, C. E. Smith, and has retained it

since.  In 1875 Mr. Cross was united in marriage with Miss Loula Person, of this county,

and these parents have three living daughters. Mr. Cross is a staunch Democrat, is a member

of the I.O.O.F., K.of P., of which latter he is chancellor commander.  Himself and wife

are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Hugh B. Cullen, real estate agent and notary public, was born in Louisa County, Va., July

12, 1851, and is the son of Hugh M. and Anne (Booth) Cullen, natives respectively of

Ireland and Virginia. Hugh B. was reared and educated in his native State and came to

Memphis in 1871 and took a position as deputy county court clerk under James Reilly,

continuing under Owen Dwyer until 1882, when he was elected to the office of clerk and

served one term of four years, at the expiration of which he entered his present business

and has met with good success.  In 1873 he was united in marriage with Miss Lizzie Gibbs,

of this city, and these parents now have five living children--two sons and three

daughters.  Mr. Cullen is a Knight Templar in Masonry, a member of the Encampment in Odd-

Fellowship, and is a member of the K. of P, and the K. of H. orders.

John Cummins, dealer in staple and fancy groceries, liquors, grain, feed, cigars and

tobaccos, was born in Memphis, where he passed his youth and manhood.  He is the son of

William and Bettie (Quintan) Cummins, natives of Ireland and Ohio, respectively.  They came

to Memphis about 1852, and at the breaking out of the late civil war  William enlisted and

fought bravely in defense of the Southern cause.  He died about 1865.  Our subject is one of

those wide-a-wake, energetic business men with push and energy enough to succeed in any

undertaking.  The business that he is now engaged in was established in 1878 and is

situated at 216 and 218 Poplar Street.

P. Cunningham (deceased ) was a blacksmith and wagon-maker, whose shop was situated on the

southeast corner of Monroe and De Soto Streets.  He established his business in 1858.  After

locating in this city he was associated with different partners, and at one time sold out

and went to Mississippi, where he was employed in the arsenals at Columbus arid at Selma,

Ala.  When the war closed he returned to Memphis and resumed his former business.  From 1878

up to the time of his death, which occurred August 5, 1885, Mr. Cunningham ran the

business alone.  He manufactured carts, trucks and scales, also always kept on hand

seasoned lumber, from which he executed the most finished and difficult work in his line.

He served his apprenticeship in Dayton, Ohio, which is of itself a sufficient guarantee of

his proficiency. He was a native of Ireland, and immigrated to Canada in 1842, and from

there to the United States in 1850, locating in Memphis in 1855.  In the following year he

married Mary Welch, of Belfast, Ireland, and eight children were born to them, six of whom

are living.  Since the death of our subject, his daughter, Fannie, has taken charge of the

entire business, with John Fox, an experienced workman, as foreman, and is conducting it

successfully.