Catholic Yard/St. Peter's Cemetery
Submitted byAnita White
Catholic Yard/St Peter's Cemetery
Established in 1849, this early Roman Catholic Church Cemetery
was located on the northeast corner of present day Madison and Dunlap
Dennis O'Brien, the first Superintendent, cleared the dense forest and Mrs Mary Hutchison and her 8 month old son, who died Mar 20, 1848, were removed there from Winchester. The city purchased the land in 1896
in order to move the city hospital from the Forrest Park area and most of the 2900 bodies were interred in Calvary Cemetery Christian Family Cemetery.