The History of Yorkville, Tennessee
Yorkville is located about fifteen miles northwest of Trenton and is in the Eighth Civil District of Gibson County. According to stories handed down Yorkville was first called Belt Buckle. No reason was known for this name. The village was first known as a "watering trough" where travelers could stop and water their stock. The watering trough was a huge container made of cypress and located near the main highway.
John C. Kuykendall, from Yorkville, South Carolina first settled there in 1830. Mr. Kuykendall built a home there and also a store and the town began flourishing. William Holmes located two miles south and others who followed were Reeds: Samuel, James, William, Robert and Hugh, Benjamin Tyson, Benjamin S.. White and John W. Needham. By 1850 it was incorporated with W.H. Miller serving as the first mayor. Yorkville's greatest time of prosperity was probably between 1853 and up to the beginning of the Civil War.
Early merchants were William Miller, D.E. Holmes, John T. Cowen, T.L. Hamilton Joseph Garwood, Lock, Wyatt and Patton. Dr. James T. Bone, a prominent physician in the early history of the county was located there.
In 1840 the popular Yorkville Hotel was opened. It was known for its' wonderful meals and comfortable feather beds.
In 1846 Yorkville Lodge, No. 115, A.F.&A.M., was organized, and four years later a commandery, the second in the State, was instituted, being one of the first in West Tennessee.
Nathaniel H. Corley was a successful tailor from 1846 to late 1856 when he discontinued the business to work on small patent rights.
By 1870 there was a successful flour mill and cotton gin operating in Yorkville.
Tom Wyatt ran a cabinet shop and also built coffins. Wyatt sold out to John Hall who continued the business.
The Bank of Yorkville was organized in 1906 with Lee Pipkin as first depositor. F.E. Wyatt was president, H.A. Huie, vice-president, F.R. Utley, cashier, and F.E. Vaughn, assistant cashier.
The first vehicle in Yorkville was an auto buggy purchased from Montgomery Ward by Jesse Trout.
Yorkville had the formal opening of the "Yorkville Jersey Cattle show" in 1929 with 105 head of cattle. It became an annual event.
A unique telephone system with four lines was operated in 1906 by Mrs. Jess Phillips. She determined the line the call was from by different tones of the bell. Yorkville received electricity in 1938.
*Sources: Goodspeed's History of Tennessee
Gibson County Past and Present, by Frederick M. Culp and Mrs. Robert E. Ross
Return to Gibson County Main Page
Email your Yorkville connections for inclusion on this page.
This page created by Vicki W. Shaffer