History of Trenton, Tennessee
Trenton - Originally known as Gibson-Port, Trenton is the oldest town in the county and was chosen county seat in 1825. Incorporated on December 17, 1847, Trenton celebrates November 2, 1825 as her birthday. The present day courthouse was built in 1899 and is considered one of the most handsome the state.
The first court - known at that time as Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions - met and was organized January 5, 1824, in the Luke Bigg's home four miles northeast of Trenton.
The post office, originally established in 1824 as Gibson County Court House, was changed to Trenton in 1825. The Western Union was the first newspaper; today's weekly is The Herald Gazette.
Click HERE to read about a tornado of Jan. 14, 1932
Click HERE to see the orginal layout of Trenton, TN
Return to Gibson County, TN Homepage