Rutherford Register, 30 Jan 1914
transcribed by Dixie McMillen
Mrs C W BAIRD attended the burial of her sister-in-law, Mrs John CHRISTOPHER, at Henderson
Mr Wilson TOWNSEND of Rutherford is a guest of his brother, Mr H A TOWNSEND, this week
Mr Coy SKILES, the popular young salesman at The Cole Drug Co, has recovered from an
illness of about two weeks
Messrs. D F LASATER, W H H WHITLEY, Jas SAVAGE and Lum WILLIS are in Nashville attending
the Masonic Grand Lodge meeting.
The roads in this part of the county have been better all winter than they usually are
during the summer months, as the dust has not been very heavy.
The little eight month old son of Lon MORGAN, three miles southwest of Rutherford, died of
congestion Sunday night. It was one of a pair of twins, the other one preceding it
Mr and Mrs J Q DODD of near Tyson left for Nashville Sunday. Mr DODD will represent the
Masonic Lodge of Mason Hall at the Grand Lodge meeting and Mrs DODD will attend a meeting
of the Eastern Star.
Mr J I HAGUEWOOD bought one hundred bales of cotton from some of the Farmer' s Union men
just before the Government report came out last week and made the men about $3 on the
bale, the price going lower a day or two later.
Deputy Sheriff Drew LASATER was hobbling around on a pair of crutches the later part of
the week, the result of coming in contact with one of his frisky William goats. His knee
joints were the parts affected.
Dr J W ALLEN and Mr Jack FLOWERS accompanied the latter's son Dewey, aged 15 years, to
Nashville last Thursday to have an operation performed for appendicitis. The operation
was successful and perhaps just in time to save the boy's life.
A mysterious fire occurred on Wednesday afternoon of last week when the residence of Mr
KING, a farmer living in the 19th District about half a mile North of China Grove was
destroyed together with most of the household goods and over $450 in cash. As we were
informed there was no one at home except an old lady who was in the rear of the house and
the larger portion of the place was in flames when discovered. The money was in a straw
bed. The fire started in a room where there was no fire place or stove and the origin is
RETURN TO RUTHERFORD REGISTER INDEX