The following is from The Goodspeed History of Tennessee, Crockett
County, published by the Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1887.
Crockett Mills is a small village in the Ninth District, seven miles northwest from the county seat, with a population of about sixty. In 1867 J. F. Robertson opened a general store at Crockett Mills, and conducted same until 1870, when he sold out to Baulch & Nance. In 1872 Mr. Robertson purchased the store and ran it until 1879, and sold it to J. B. Tucker. Robertson again purchased the store in 1880, and is conducting it at present. The one other business house in the village is that of Ferguson & Elliott, undertakers.
Robertson & Perry erected the Crockett Mills in 1871. The mills then consisted of saw, grist and cotton-gin. In 1879 the mills were destroyed by fire, and being rebuilt were built a second time in the spring of 1882. The mill was again rebuilt in 1883, and in addition to saw, grist and cotton-gin, flour attachment was added, and the buildings were constructed of brick and made fire-proof.
Jackson Ferguson and John Lawrence have blacksmith and wagon-shops in the village.
The Christian Church, the only one in the place, is a handsome brick structure, and was built in 1883, the expense being borne by J. F. Robertson. The cost of the building was about $4,000, and it is probably the most handsome church building in the county.
The Crockett Academy was chartered in 1883, under the provisions of the four-mile temperance law.