TNFlag    McLemoresville, Carroll County, Tennessee    TNFlag

R.E.C. Dougherty was appointed surveyor and entry taker for the 12th Surveyor in 1819.  This district covered Carroll, Henry and part of Weakley counties.  R.E.C.Dougherty had his home at what is now McLemoresville.  Anderson H. Smith settled in McLemoresville around 1820.  He was postmaster in 1838 and later served as Treasurer of Bethel College located at McLemoresville and also ran a tavern.
By 1834 the Tennessee Gazetteer stated there were three towns in Carroll County, McLemoresville, Christmasville and Huntingdon and gave the population of the county was 9,378.  The paper also stated that Carrolton a town established on land of R.E. C. Dougherty later changed to McLemoresville.  The town is supposed to be named for Col. John Christmas McLemore who owned much of the land, a store and saloon around 1820.  McLemoresville was incorporated November 16, 1830.
In 1840 Brick Academy was established.  One of the students was Governor Alvin Hawkins.   A Female academy was located south of the business district and operated by Mrs. Woolen.  In later years the upper floor was used by the Masons.  Oct. 11, 1845 the McLemoresville Masonic Hall was established.  Bethel Seminary was established in 1845 with Rev. John Roach as president.  On Dec. 30, 1871 the synod voted to move the school to McKenzie where it still exists.  Johnny Hall had a private school with 100 students and there was a Negro school also. 
September 1, 1907 the Bank of McLemoresville was opened for business.  The town was re-incorporated in 1949 with Julien Devault as mayor.  Billy O. Williams was appointed a Associate Poet Laureate of Tennessee July 21, 1981 by the state legislature.  Dixie Carter of "Designing Women" grew up in McLemoresville and on May 30, 1985 married Hal Holbrook in her hometown church.

Hand coded by Jane N Powell notes submitted by Jere R Cox Jr.



Return to Home