TNFlag     Lavinia, Carroll County, Tennessee    TNFlag

One of the first settlers was Leroy Strayhorn, born in Orange county, N. C. in 1800 and died in Lavinia 1831.  After the Old Line Road was surveyed from Lexington to Trenton and settlement began, then the road crossing the Old Line Road and running northwest to Christmasville was surveyed.  About 1824 the village at this crossroad had 3 stores, 3 churches and a school.  On September 12, 1854 a post office was established and Alfred B. Christian was postmaster.
Some think Lavinia was named for a Negro Slave and others think it was named for a school teacher, Miss Lavinia Eddings.  Lavinia was supposed to be one mile from the railroad but the railroad was built through Milan so the railroads would cross.
During World War II, the Milan Ordnance Depot was built nearby and in the the early 1960's some of this land was given to the Tennessee National Guard for training purposes.  The school has since closed and the children bused to Trezevant and Atwood.

From notes submitted by Jere R Cox



Return to Home