Cedar Grove settlers mostly came from North Carolina. W. G. Parker, son of a Mr.
Parker from NC, became postmaster. A Southern Methodist Church in a large grove of
Cedar trees gave the settlement its name and the pastor was Rev. Jimmy Woodard. It has been
that he married more people and preached more funerals than any other preacher in the
area. John W. Roberts built the first store and W. G. Parker later ran this store.
The early schools were subscription schools with pupils attending 3 months during the winter and the school was also used as a social gathering place. Dr. Tobe Herron and Dr. Jim Clark were two of the early doctors.
Cotton soon became the leading money crop and a gin operated by mules and treadmill was built at Parker's Store. Grain was milled at a water mill south of McCanney Creek which was a popular site for picnics.
During the yellow fever epidemic in Milan, a Dr. Holmes and W.L. Williamson brought their patients to Cedar Grove to camp and discovered a number of mineral springs and a cave. This discovery resulted in a resort called Sulpher Springs with many cottages, a hotel and dance hall. People came from far and near to drink of this healing water.
Ferguson Cemetery, dating to 1825, is one of the more famous old cemeteries in the area and the resting place of many early settlers of Cedar Grove.
from notes submitted by Jere R Cox