Beuna Vista, Carroll County,
Buena Vista, settled as early as 1820, was one of the first settlements in Carroll County.
In 1850, the town was established on Thomas Pasture land. Some early settlers
were the Hamptons, Roberts, Criders, Nesbitts, Wilsons and Rogers. W.P. Nesbitt was the
On April 23, 1834, Mt. Nebo Baptist Church was organized on land donated by
Dearing. J.W. Cearley was the first pastor. In 1896, John Spellings donated land
for a new building that stood until it was outgrown and a new brick building was built.
Early in the history of Buena Vista a school was built and grades 1 through
12 were taught. A new brick building was built in the 1920's.
L.O. Kee owed the cotton gin and there were five general merchandise
stores. L. D. Murphy practiced medicine.
The N. C. & St. L. operated a train that passed through Buena Vista affording
transportation and mail service.
notes submitted by Jere R Cox
Return to Home